Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I need some estimates. I need to replace my rear shocks, and the cheapest place is charging $75 an hour since I'm providing the shocks. I would do it myself, but I live in Alaska and alas! I have no place to do it. So, how many hours would it take to replace the rear shocks? Thanks in advance guys.

-Apollo

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Hey!...I'm from Soldotna originally. Cool.
Rear shocks are pretty easy. It's do-able in under an hour on my GT. I used to have a 2.3 and don't remember what's different on it. Aren't there panels that are removable to access the top shock bolt?

Really, I'm just replying to say hello 'cause your from Alaska.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
For a shop, it won't take more than 30 minutes... For someone doing it for their first time outside in -30* weather I would time it at over an hour. It's not hard, and you wouldn't even have to remove the wheels, although it would make it a little easier. One bolt on the top of the shock tower (depending on if it is a hatch or notch, the interior will have to be taken out partially in the shock tower area) and one bolt on the axle. Not a difficult task at all. If you have a ratchet set, you can do it!

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
For a shop, it won't take more than 30 minutes... For someone doing it for their first time outside in -30* weather I would time it at over an hour. It's not hard, and you wouldn't even have to remove the wheels, although it would make it a little easier. One bolt on the top of the shock tower (depending on if it is a hatch or notch, the interior will have to be taken out partially in the shock tower area) and one bolt on the axle. Not a difficult task at all. If you have a ratchet set, you can do it!

Alaskans are used to doing everything in -30 degree weather

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Alaskans are used to doing everything in -30 degree weather
So am I (looks at the temperature guage and sees -23* C)... It's just harder to do stuff outside when it's that cold and everything seems to take longer because the feeling in your hands goes away and you drop tools. And if you wear gloves, then you can't hold onto tools and you drop them, lol. Anyways, it's just harder to do rather than being inside a 20*C/72*F garage with a 4 post lift.

Also, bolts are much harder to turn when it is cold, so invest in a good propane or butane torch.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It doesn't matter how long it actually takes, what matters is how long the rate book says it takes.

Shops don't charge based on the actual time elapsed. They have books that give a set time for a given task. Your shocks for example. 30 minutes start to finish for a competent person even working in a driveway. The flat rate book says an hour and a half to do that job. Care to guess what your bill is going to say?

It's not unfair, illegal, or unethical. It's how that world works.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It doesn't matter how long it actually takes, what matters is how long the rate book says it takes.

Shops don't charge based on the actual time elapsed. They have books that give a set time for a given task. Your shocks for example. 30 minutes start to finish for a competent person even working in a driveway. The flat rate book says an hour and a half to do that job. Care to guess what your bill is going to say?

It's not unfair, illegal, or unethical. It's how that world works.
It is unfair... Maybe not illegal, but unfair. If you are paying for 1.5 hours of a mechanics time, then you should get 1.5 hours of a mechanics time. That would be like me telling my boss I worked for 24 hours instead of 8. But it's good to know that is how they price it... Those thieves! (That's why all my work is certifiably done by a guy named Steve; he does damn FINE WORK:gringreen)

And I think that most of the time doing the shocks would be spent not in actually changing the shocks, but taking out the interior and putting it back in. I have never seen a hatchback before, so I wouldn't know how difficult the interior is.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well here is how it works DUDES

$10,000.00 Insurance
$ 8,000.00 Heat
$250,000.00 Salarys
$18,000.00 Taxes on the buildings
$9,000.00 For electric
$2,000 licenses ETC
$3,000 matinance on shop eqpt tools ETC
$ 10,000 for PIZZA BEER AND PEPSI

This is APP for one year to stay open Big C has the BIG PICTURE

Price to change shocks $100.00 BUCKS Sorry Guys its not personal its BUSINESS Peace Tom

:weeps:shrug:cursing::run_over::nervous

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It is unfair... Maybe not illegal, but unfair. If you are paying for 1.5 hours of a mechanics time, then you should get 1.5 hours of a mechanics time. That would be like me telling my boss I worked for 24 hours instead of 8. But it's good to know that is how they price it... Those thieves! (That's why all my work is certifiably done by a guy named Steve; he does damn FINE WORK:gringreen)

And I think that most of the time doing the shocks would be spent not in actually changing the shocks, but taking out the interior and putting it back in. I have never seen a hatchback before, so I wouldn't know how difficult the interior is.

Okay, so let's use Tom as an example. Tom get's a car that needs a set of rear shocks. Book says 1.5 hrs. No sweat, right? Now the car is in the shop (that he leases/owns and pays utilities), on the lift(that he bought and maintains) and from the looks of it, he'll need a tetanus shot before he gets started for all the rust. He shoots penetrating oil (that he bought with his money) on the bolts and wipes up the excess with rags (that he pays for). Then he takes his impact gun (that he bought) out of his tool box (getting the picture yet?).

Fast forward 3 hours later and some handy work with a torch (yeah, not free either) and the car is just now coming off the lift from what should have been a simple job but had issues.

For every job that calls for an hour but can be done in 15 minutes by an experienced mechanic, there's a basket case that takes a solid day to fix a 3 hour job.

Unfair?? It's all a matter of perspective. Shops are in business to make money. I've yet to see one operate intentionally as a non-profit organization. The same flat rate schedule that appears to bend you over at times, also bends the shop owner over a barrel.

There's an old story about a guy who was called in to fix something after everyone else who tried had failed. He found a bad fuse, replaced it and submitted a bill for $10,000.10. When the company balked at the price to replace a fuse and asked for an itemized bill, he resubmitted the following:

(1) Fuse .10 ea.
(1) Knowing where to put it. $10,000ea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, lol thanks guys. Fortunately for me the place I'm going isn't a huge organization but they do good work. Guys there are charging me 6/10 of an hour just because I have the shocks. Which is nice, lol. But, good to know the times guys thanks!

*shout out from Alaska to sillyrabbit* - Whats uuuuuppp lol. I live in Wasilla ha. It's not super cold today! I don't think..but still lol.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
OK, let's look at this the same way, but at a different angle....

A hooker still charges the same amount no matter how long the job takes.......:kooky:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Okay, so let's use Tom as an example. Tom get's a car that needs a set of rear shocks. Book says 1.5 hrs. No sweat, right? Now the car is in the shop (that he leases/owns and pays utilities), on the lift(that he bought and maintains) and from the looks of it, he'll need a tetanus shot before he gets started for all the rust. He shoots penetrating oil (that he bought with his money) on the bolts and wipes up the excess with rags (that he pays for). Then he takes his impact gun (that he bought) out of his tool box (getting the picture yet?).

Fast forward 3 hours later and some handy work with a torch (yeah, not free either) and the car is just now coming off the lift from what should have been a simple job but had issues.

For every job that calls for an hour but can be done in 15 minutes by an experienced mechanic, there's a basket case that takes a solid day to fix a 3 hour job.

Unfair?? It's all a matter of perspective. Shops are in business to make money. I've yet to see one operate intentionally as a non-profit organization. The same flat rate schedule that appears to bend you over at times, also bends the shop owner over a barrel.

There's an old story about a guy who was called in to fix something after everyone else who tried had failed. He found a bad fuse, replaced it and submitted a bill for $10,000.10. When the company balked at the price to replace a fuse and asked for an itemized bill, he resubmitted the following:

(1) Fuse .10 ea.
(1) Knowing where to put it. $10,000ea.
Thanks, I really needed a "reality-check". It's a wonder mechanics make any money at all! My dad is an entrepeneur and all he does is complain about rent and employees and taxes etc. LOL.

Good thing I don't have to think about all the things mechanics are charging me for. Although I am still trying to figure out if I have worked on my car long enough to "pay off" all these extra tools that I have bought rather than compared to if I took it into a resto-center,

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK, let's look at this the same way, but at a different angle....

A hooker still charges the same amount no matter how long the job takes.......:kooky:
Now i know why you guys give us rides to a hot war ZONE. Then leave. You guys are smarter than us MARINES. That Was priceless DUDE great line . You are the GREATEST. Peace my Brother

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Heheh...A guy with Navy in his screen name who knows about hookers? Kinda stereotypical isn't it?
DUDE should have BEEN with me in 68 on R&R in BANCOCK. That was a TRIP to say the least. WOWWWWWWWWWWWW. HAPPY DAYS HAHAHA

·
Registered
400 Posts
I need shocks bad haha. I really wanna do it myself but i know im gonna farm it out. Probably gonna get KYBs and call it a day.

You guys are rediculous. :bigthumbsup Have a good one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.