Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen and ladies, Jim here. Lifetime tinkerer, DIY guy, concert lighting dude. My Mustang is a silver 2010 V6 4.0L, plain jane silver, black interior, I love my girl.

I drive the mustang also for business trips, and this last one from Memphis to Oklahoma City I was driving home late at night and the engine kicked into overheat mode, I pulled over and found a coolant leak. Looked like it was from where the thermostat body is, so I filled the reclaim tank, and got her home.

I'm a child of an engineer, and I grew up working on my own cars, and I quite enjoy it, but this one is stumping me, and money is tight as heck so I'm trying to fix this so I can keep working... I've replaced the water pump myself, thermostat, and I thought I had it solved! Nope, my last business drive from OKC to Dallas, coolant leak, same spot -- right at the assembly where the thermostat lives.

I've taken a video if that will help -- unlisted YT link -- I apologize, I said the F word twice I think...

Would I be right in assuming that I have a leak in the thermostat housing itself and that I can replace it? It seems like once I drained the cooling system and re-tightened the thermostat housing, it might have postponed the leak somewhat, but when she got back hot again, leak. It's just a constant weep that is getting considerably worse, right around where that housing is, and I have got to fix this mofo in order to work!

I've got all day tomorrow to fix this thang, I've got an Autozone, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, AND anything else within ten minutes of me. What do you guys think?

New water pump installed!

Cooling channel -- I work with automated concert lighting, so working on my car is a stress relieving blast, if I can get this figured out!

Any help or reassurance/insults are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I've seen a lot of threads here about those V6s with your same problem. Do a search in the "05-09 V6 tech" section and you'll see your not alone.
I see you've been working around cars for years but I gotta ask. Did you thoroughly check and clean the mating surfaces of the parts you replaced?
Also, I'm having a hard time seeing where the small leak(weep) in the video. Can you help out me and my old eyes? Thanks.

Btw, your in the running for "Best Title of the Year" award. Lol

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
Gasket? or, porous housing? Just my guesstimates :)

Reactions: marylandGT

·
Registered
63 Posts
That housing is a ticking time bomb, get the aluminum housing and forget about it. Yes it is expensive compared to the Mark Fields plastic one. But cheaper than an engine replacement.I think I got mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have to agree with the Aluminum housing idea, had one for years and never regreted it once. But seeing as how money is tight, run down to autozone or wherever and get a new housing. Just checked, autozone locally in Cali is going for $60. Then save a bit more (like $180) and buy the aluminum one on Amazon or eBay, and forget about it forever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Odds are pretty good that it's the T-stat housing. It's a high-failure item in the Cologne 4.0L V6 found in the Ranger, Explorer, Sport Trac, and Mustang. I had to replace the one in my '04 Sport Trac back in about 2008 or 2009, before the metal ones were available. If it had been around back then, I'd have spent the extra $$$ for it, because it's a one-and-done proposition. I have a 2008 Mustang 4.0 with about 34K miles on her. No problems with the T-stat housing so far, but I plan to buy one of these soon anyway, because I'm sure that the plastic one will fail sometime in the future.

There's one guy that makes the aluminum housings. He sells them on eBay and Amazon. Here are the links to his listings for the Mustang 4.0:

eBay: 2005-2010 mustang 4.0 metal thermostat housing

Amazon: 2005-2010 Mustang Metal V6 4.0 Thermostat Housing/water Outlet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts