Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me i was wondering if someone could tell me what would cause my battery to go dead and a humming noise to come from my rear speakers please help

·
Registered
56 Posts
great_gazzo said:
can anyone help me i was wondering if someone could tell me what would cause my battery to go dead and a humming noise to come from my rear speakers please help
If your alternator isn't charging it correctly, it could go dead. The alternator slowly died in my zx2 - guages stopped working one by one and then I had to pull over. Not a fun experience :( The bearings in the alternator were shot so I needed a new belt, alternator and battery. I was told that the belt was frayed and worn to begin with.

So the car won't start at all then? Can you get it to start by jumping the battery? If so, how long will it work for after you jump start it?

Is the humming noise coming from just the rear speakers? Change the fader to the fronts and see if you can still hear it. I had engine humming from all 4 speakers in my zx2 because of a bad ground in my cdplayer wiring harness. I don't think humming in the speakers could come from a dying/low charged battery - but it would make sense I guess.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
great_gazzo said:

have you checked your fuses?

What year car, how many miles, and what's been done to it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i figured that it has something to do with the wires under the hood cause i hooked up a battery charger to it the other day to charge the battery and that is when i heard the noise but when i jump it it starts right up. i may have the alternator checked today maybe thats it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
great_gazzo said:
well i figured that it has something to do with the wires under the hood cause i hooked up a battery charger to it the other day to charge the battery and that is when i heard the noise but when i jump it it starts right up. i may have the alternator checked today maybe thats it.
Fusible link is fused.

take it to Sears, dealer, etc. should be $10-15 dollars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
kscoyote said:
Fusible link is fused.

take it to Sears, dealer, etc. should be $10-15 dollars.
Do you mean that the fuse melted?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
load said:
Do you mean that the fuse melted?
no, it's a link that burns up when a wrong connection is made, to preserve the rest of the electronics.

The battery isn't connected to the rest of the system anymore.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
great_gazzo said:
dont mean to sound like a newbie but where can i find this fusible link
I haven't fixed one in years. It used to be right off the starter solenoid, It's got to be between the positive battery terminal and the rest of the system.

If you do it yourself, pick up a haynes or chilton's manual. the part itself should cost a couple of dollars. But you should run it in, to make sure nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
great_gazzo said:
okay cool i will check it out if not i will send it into the shop thanks for everything
No problem!

Hope it all works out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.