Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm prepping to change my trans fluid and differential fluid, so it occured to me. Why not upgrade my shifter while I'm at it?

I've been eyeing gear at Welcome to RPM Outlet and I'm just confused at this point, they claim the B&M Ripper is the best. Yet Hurst and Pro 5.0 claim "No missing 3rd gear, ever again." This has my attention as I feel a *slight* resistance going into third gear right now on my stock shifter. This also being my motivation to change fluid at my current milage which is 37K. So can anyone comment on these who has a bit of experience or is a possible owner of any brand name short throw? The B&M has my attention with it's 3 way adjustability but if it comes down to it I want what's going to best suite my car, not my personal entertainment.

Thanks All,

E

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the B&M and I have had it for about 10 years now it has been in 3 different cars and still performs great! it doesn't have the shortest throw or a very notchy feel (like the pro 5.0) but the knob position and spring assist are excellent, you can shift into third with one finger. when I installed it in my 2000 GT it got rid of a grinding I had when shifting to reverse. overall probably not the best for strip applications but great for normal street/strip applications. and a vast improvement over stock you will wish you had done this a long time ago. it is always my first mod on any of my stangs!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mgw

I had the Steeda then switched to the MGW short throw. After researching them they appeared very advanced. I dont know how I ever did without it. MGW in my opinion is the way to go. Check it out

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the B&M and I have had it for about 10 years now it has been in 3 different cars and still performs great! it doesn't have the shortest throw or a very notchy feel (like the pro 5.0) but the knob position and spring assist are excellent, you can shift into third with one finger. when I installed it in my 2000 GT it got rid of a grinding I had when shifting to reverse. overall probably not the best for strip applications but great for normal street/strip applications. and a vast improvement over stock you will wish you had done this a long time ago. it is always my first mod on any of my stangs!
Can you explain the pro 5.0's "notchy feel?" I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by that.

I just made my first car payment, this would be my second mod, sooooo I can't really say I wish I had done it a while ago yet :D

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
i have a steeda tri-ax on the way. people say you can never miss 3rd with it. just make sure you get the right model based on your transmission.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a mgw for my '02 gt... Feels great, great quality.... It's really quiet as well. I've been in a '98 gt with a tri-ax and it was loud. Could have been the tranny as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have had my MGW since last September. Before I purchased it I did a lot of research reading through scores of posts on various forums. Many of those posting had tried all of the most popular shifters available and the conclusion they reached was that nothing came close to the MGW in terms of quality and versatility. I am extremely pleased with my MGW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.