Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the B&M short throw shifter and was wondering is it normal for this to make a little noise? What i am hearing is mainly in third gear kind of like a chatter that the shifter seems to amplify? Is this something that can be avoided with another product? I had read that the Steeda was the better one to buy but a local place had this one. And ideas?

Damon

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Normal

The new shifter has a lot more metal-to-metal contact than the old rubber job, and will transmit more noise. Did you reinstall the old inner rubber boot seal over the shifter (if you remember, there were 2 - in inner and 1 outer). Depending on the instrucitons, it may not have suggested this. It will help with the noise if you keep both seals.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i started to hear some kinda like rolling noise similar to snow or white noise, like when tvs loose signal... but it was because i just put the steeda triax. you learnt o tune it out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i did put the lower rubber bushing that came with the kit in plus the factory one.. Good thing is that it's not just me.. :hihi: I was just making sure that there was nothing else that i should do.. Thanks for the info!

Damon

G

·
Ya, It's normal. Enjoy the shifter. I had one. It makes the throw extremely short. I loved it. Just make sure that you set your shift stops correctly, that way you can really slam those gears :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help :hihi:

·
Registered
122 Posts
silver03GT said:
I recently purchased the B&M short throw shifter and was wondering is it normal for this to make a little noise? What i am hearing is mainly in third gear kind of like a chatter that the shifter seems to amplify? Is this something that can be avoided with another product? I had read that the Steeda was the better one to buy but a local place had this one. And ideas?

Damon
I don't know about being better, but I can tell you the Steeda make noise too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shifter noise

the stock shifter has the rubber bushing on it at the base on the handle which stops the vibration noises, also the stock shifter does not have to touch that metal stoping bolt which increases tranny noise when.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.