Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! What short throw shifter should i get for my 01 GT? i've found a few, but there are some presty distinct price differences. Are there any specific things i should be looking for in an STS? The two shifters i'm debating on are

steeda
https://lmr.com/item/ST-5557351K/83-04-Mustang-Steeda-Tri-Ax-Shifter-With-Free-Bullitt-Shift-Knob

and

Mustang Short Throw Sport Shifter (82-Early 01 V8; 93-99 Cobra; 94-04 V6) - Free Shipping

The more information you an provide the moe help you can be! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey all! What short throw shifter should i get for my 01 GT? i've found a few, but there are some presty distinct price differences. Are there any specific things i should be looking for in an STS? The two shifters i'm debating on are

steeda
https://lmr.com/item/ST-5557351K/83-04-Mustang-Steeda-Tri-Ax-Shifter-With-Free-Bullitt-Shift-Knob

and

Mustang Short Throw Sport Shifter (82-Early 01 V8; 93-99 Cobra; 94-04 V6) - Free Shipping

This is one of the areas that you will pay for quality. If you are getting a short throw I would suggest nothing other than MGW, or Steeda Tri-ax. The cheap shifters will come apart, the adjusters dont stay tight, the bushings wear out, the centering springs get weak. They are truly crap. Ive had my tri-ax for almost 5 years and its still perfect.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
MGW. Period. Thank me later.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
MGW or Steeda. There are other decent ones as well, such as Hurst or Pro5.0 but personally I would onpy spend my money on the first two. Had a Tri-Ax in my car for almost 10 years, would buy another in a heartbeat. Fortunately the quality is of such par that I won't need to.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts

steeda

and

I've been using the cheap one the you're looking at for almost eight years now with no complaints. It's a lot better than stock big school bus like shifter. Are the more expensive ones "better?" Maybe. If two cars were identical except one had an "expensive" shifter and the other has the "cheap" one, would the car with the "expensive" shifter win the race every time? No.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
I've been using the cheap one the you're looking at for almost eight years now with no complaints. It's a lot better than stock big school bus like shifter. Are the more expensive ones "better?" Maybe. If two cars were identical except one had an "expensive" shifter and the other has the "cheap" one, would the car with the "expensive" shifter win the race every time? No.
But the more expensive one feels better, smoother, beefier, much better made etc...I haven't missed 3rd once with my MGW, missed quite a bit with my SR shifter. MGW is much smoother, refined, light years ahead in quality, much better center spring. Have I mentioned the quality of the MGW? Am I going to gain any tenths or mph with it vs SR, no...but it's not about that when it comes to aftermarket short throw shifters. It's about how it feels when shifting and driving. I will only recommend MGW because I've had both cheap and MGW.

OP will still thank me later when he orders his new MGW.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
But the more expensive one feels better, smoother, beefier, much better made etc...I haven't missed 3rd once with my MGW, missed quite a bit with my SR shifter. MGW is much smoother, refined, light years ahead in quality, much better center spring. Have I mentioned the quality of the MGW? Am I going to gain any tenths or mph with it vs SR, no...but it's not about that when it comes to aftermarket short throw shifters. It's about how it feels when shifting and driving. I will only recommend MGW because I've had both cheap and MGW.

OP will still thank me later when he orders his new MGW.

I respect that. But $200 is a bit much for a shifter for my blood. That's about what I paid for a set of springs.. I ways have to "bang for buck shop." Spend a little less here so I can spend a little more else where that'll make a bigger overall impact.
-The plight of the working poor I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts