Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i'm going to be getting a short throw shifter soon and i'm stuck between what to choose. does anybody have (or had) either of these shifters? if so, what would you say overall about them? and is it worth the extra money to pay $190 for a steeda shifter? thanks. here are the links:
Mustang Short Throw Sport Shifter (83 - Early 01 V8 & 94-04 V6 T-5/T-45 Transmission) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Mustang Short Shifter for T-5/T-45 (1982-early 2001 V8 & 94-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Short Shifter

I,m putting a short shifter in next year but I,m putting in a new one piece driveshaft as well.You have to drop the front part of the driveshaft in order to get the shifter in so putting a new one piece driveshaft is a no brainer.I have,nt made up my mind on which on though.Let me know which one you decide on :bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
I,m putting a short shifter in next year but I,m putting in a new one piece driveshaft as well.You have to drop the front part of the driveshaft in order to get the shifter in so putting a new one piece driveshaft is a no brainer.I have,nt made up my mind on which on though.Let me know which one you decide on :bigthumbsup
Uhhh.... No. Putting in a shifter is simple. You pop off the plastic boot and then it is four bolts. No driveshift removal require. :nono:

I've never had experience with the budget shifter that AM has. Having said that I've always found "You get what you pay for" rings true. Steeda is a good shifter. Look into MGW and Pro-5.0. I have a Hurst, and I am looking to replace it with an MGW.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhh.... No. Putting in a shifter is simple. You pop off the plastic boot and then it is four bolts. No driveshift removal require. :nono:

I've never had experience with the budget shifter that AM has. Having said that I've always found "You get what you pay for" rings true. Steeda is a good shifter. Look into MGW and Pro-5.0. I have a Hurst, and I am looking to replace it with an MGW.
i agree that you do get what you pay for, but i'm not constantly ripping through gears, i just want this to have a little more fun.
We've used the cheap AM shifter a couple times. They are a decent product for the price......
would you say that it's a good shifter? or do you think the stack racing one is better?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a good shifter. It's not the best out there, but who wants to spend that much anyway?
yeah that's exactly what i was trying to avoid.. thanks a lot :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
429 Posts
No experience with the cheapo shifter here, but you get what you pay for. My hand has spent 2 hours a day for nearly 11 years rowing a shifter. Get something you KNOW you're gonna like. ;)

FWIW, the MGW shifter (mgwltd.com) is a FAR superior product than the Steeda. Worth every penny of the $180 I paid. I had both, as well as a Pro 5.0 which was about on par with the Steeda. Worth checking out at the very least.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the shifter came, and i was almost done installing it, when i realized that there are springs missing.... and the shifter handle! i'm so mad! but does anybody know what the springs are for? i'm kinda confused about those lol

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
If you are talking about where the bottom parts of the handle connects to the assembly, that is for centering the shifter handle when speed shifting. That is the only difference between the better shifters and yours. The other aftermarket shifters use a heavier spring that makes it harder for you to miss 3rd gear. When you are in second and going to third, the shifter springs will "center" itself exactly where 3rd gear is so it's harder to miss.

You have 2 options, send it back for a new one, or go to the hardware store and match up 2 heavy springs. Total cost? About $1.00........

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have the cheaper of the two. Buy the better one- Steeda or better yet MGN.
The one I have is OK, vibration sometimes an issue. I will upgrade. THIS time- You get what you pay for but its OK.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are talking about where the bottom parts of the handle connects to the assembly, that is for centering the shifter handle when speed shifting. That is the only difference between the better shifters and yours. The other aftermarket shifters use a heavier spring that makes it harder for you to miss 3rd gear. When you are in second and going to third, the shifter springs will "center" itself exactly where 3rd gear is so it's harder to miss.

You have 2 options, send it back for a new one, or go to the hardware store and match up 2 heavy springs. Total cost? About $1.00........
or option 3.. i called up american muscle, and as usual with their great customer service, they're sending me the missing parts free of charge. and thanks for the info about the springs lol

·
Registered
6,158 Posts

thats pretty neat.. my grandfather has an old shifter for his flathead ford that was spring-loaded.. you had to hold it in first and when you let go it would fly into second.. he said u had to be like perfect with the clutch on that one lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.