Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been suggested by some coworkers that I should install a short throw shifter for my 5-spd manual. The question I have is what is the advantage of a short throw shifter? I see they are a little pricy, so what is the purpose or advantage of spending that kind of money for such an "upgrade'? :?:

·
Registered
333 Posts
quicker more deliberate throws while shifting..I do know that saleen now has a factory shifter "Upgrade" which shortens the throw by about 30% for $29!..Several guys are using it and really like it so I may go that route as well

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
subzero05 said:
quicker more deliberate throws while shifting..I do know that saleen now has a factory shifter "Upgrade" which shortens the throw by about 30% for $29!..Several guys are using it and really like it so I may go that route as well
I have also heard from a few whom have installed this "upgrade". I cannot find a picture of it or even a good description but for $29 I took a chance and ordered it. If it's from Saleen I don't think it would be a bad product. I will report when it's installed.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saleen short throw shifter

WOW!! That is a great price. But before I just plunge and buy one (which is what I am likely to do :eyebulge: ), I need to understand how this item works. I understand now that the short throw shifter is a certain percentage shorter than a standard shifter. But what does that mean? Does that mean the actual lever for shifting is shorter or is it the distance the lever travels is shorter? How does this concept make a better driving experience? If I go with short throw shifter, do I need to changer the stock shifter knob? I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but an enthuisaist I am, a mechanic I am not. :tongue

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
mrvandermey said:
WOW!! That is a great price. But before I just plunge and buy one (which is what I am likely to do :eyebulge: ), I need to understand how this item works. I understand now that the short throw shifter is a certain percentage shorter than a standard shifter. But what does that mean? Does that mean the actual lever for shifting is shorter or is it the distance the lever travels is shorter? How does this concept make a better driving experience? If I go with short throw shifter, do I need to changer the stock shifter knob? I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but an enthuisaist I am, a mechanic I am not. :tongue
None of us knew any of this at one time so no question is ignorant. Short throw means the distance you have to move the shift lever is shorter, not the shift lever itself. The saleen shifter mentioned above reduces the distance you must the shift lever by 26%. How does this affect driving experience? because you have to move the lever a shorter distance you can shift faster, shaving precious time off your ETs. Most aftermarket shift levers are made to fit the stock shift knob. I am not sure about the Saleen but I would bet it does.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

5twenty, thanks. Now my next question (or two). Is a short throw shifter easy to install, where a novice could do this in his driveway? Or is this something best left for the professionals or well mechanically inclined folks? Also, besides the Saleen short throw shifter (where I recognize the name and quality of Saleen), are there any recommendations of a particular brand or style? Is one brand or style better, if so why? I only ask because the prices I originally saw for a short throw shifter fo the the '05 Stangs were around $200 (give or take) and now I see Saleen (a well known name) selling one for $29. Just makes me curious.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
mrvandermey said:
5twenty, thanks. Now my next question (or two). Is a short throw shifter easy to install, where a novice could do this in his driveway? Or is this something best left for the professionals or well mechanically inclined folks? Also, besides the Saleen short throw shifter (where I recognize the name and quality of Saleen), are there any recommendations of a particular brand or style? Is one brand or style better, if so why? I only ask because the prices I originally saw for a short throw shifter fo the the '05 Stangs were around $200 (give or take) and now I see Saleen (a well known name) selling one for $29. Just makes me curious.
I'm totally speculating but because this is so cheap I expect to see only a few linkage pieces when mine arrives, but I really don't know (I think that's why they call it an UPGRADE). But for just $26 I took a gamble. I've never installed one either so I can't answer your other questions.

Does anyone have the Saleen short shifter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
5twenty said:
I have also heard from a few whom have installed this "upgrade". I cannot find a picture of it or even a good description but for $29 I took a chance and ordered it. If it's from Saleen I don't think it would be a bad product. I will report when it's installed.
I would like a report on what comes in the package when you get it.

$29 sounds to good to be true, but saleen does have a good reputation.

Hopefully he has something figured out that everyone else overlooked.

If it does what they say and is good quality, they may have another customer soon:laughlitt :laughlitt

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have seen a pic of it and it is NOT a shifter, but rather un "upgrade" to the stock shifter.It is a metal type shaft with bushings that attach onto the factory linkage shortening it up some it appears.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
subzero05 said:
I have seen a pic of it and it is NOT a shifter, but rather un "upgrade" to the stock shifter.It is a metal type shaft with bushings that attach onto the factory linkage shortening it up some it appears.
That was what I was guessing, some linkage piece that changes the geometry to shorten up the stock setup. For $26 I give it a try. If it sucks I'll only be out a couple cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you have a question about istallation of an aftermarket part a lot of the websites have PDF files you can open to see the install instructions from the manufacture, it gives you a good idea of the part and how hard the install will be.

MM&FF just had an article on how to install a Hurst short throw, the install is pretty much the same for them all.

there is a replacement mount bushing kit available too, it won't change the throw, just make the shifter more solid feeling when banging the gears.

jb

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are two ways to "shorten the throw" on a shifter (barring tranmission mods themselves). One is to literally shorten the lever...the angle through which it moves is the same, only the absolute distance the knob travels is reduced.
The other way is to raise the fulcrum point through which the lever moves. This necessarily entails a loss of mechanical advantage (so does shortening the lever, but not as profoudly) and increase in effort. This is the way it's accomplished on the Hurst unit, for sure (I compared the fulcrum points while both were off the car).
Of course, you can also combine both methods to REALLY shorten the throw, but with each loss of mechanical advantage, you can expect effort to increase, and "smoothness" of action to decrease, which I found was the case with the HURST (don't get me wrong, I still like it and keep it installed).
I've heard reliable reports that a lot of folks, women in particular, don't care for the "feel" of the short throw shifters and I can well understand that. This can be a good thing if you have to share the car!:winks

·
Registered
161 Posts
are there any short throw shifters for the V6 other than the Steeda Tri-Ax???

·
Registered
24 Posts
05HOTROD said:
I JUST INSTALLED THE ROUSH SHIFTER AND IT FEELS MUCH BETTER THAN THE SALEEN ADAPTER (IT SHOULD $256:eyebulge: ) ANYWAYS YOUR CHOICE. HERES THE LINK FOR THE SALEEN ADAPTER.

http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9157-25-0.html
Good find, saleen didnt even have a picture.

Where exactly does this part go, and how does it help

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I received this item in the mail last night. It is an aluminum block that basically extends the length of the bottom of the shift lever (the part under the car) by about one inch. Saleen says this change in geometry shortens the throw by 30%. I took a look under the car last night and installation looks easy enough. Access to the underside of the shift lever requires the car be on a lift or jackstands but at first glance it seemed pretty accessable. I'll give it a go tonight and report back after testing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts