Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We would love to make some shorty headers for the new V6 but there just isn’t any room. By design, shorty headers always connect to the stock cat converter, with the V6’s tiny little exhaust manifold there isn’t much room to make any kind of a header that would do anything. The V6 Camaro is the same way. Next year the V6 Camaro won’t even have any exhaust manifolds. The chambers are in the head now. Just a flange with the cat pipe bolts to the outside of the head.

Mike Briggs
BBK Performance R&D

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
it's the general concensus of this forum that shorties are a waste of money anyways...I won't even get into what alot think of BBK...good luck

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
You could always get the stock manifolds ported...:D
My GOD, a radical!

Actually, some of us, probably including our worthy Ltngdrvr, did clean up the old '85-93 factory fabricated shorties on the 302s. There is also a way to grind and flatten the air injection bump with the head on the car, but except on the '85s it was equivalent to a placebo.

·
Registered
405 Posts
DAMN IT! I opened this thread hoping for some good A$$ news and as I read it, I died a lil' inside. I was hoping some manufacturer would create some shorty headers. From what I've heard and seen Shorties and LT's do the exact same thing and give out the same amount of HP, but maybe a difference of 1-2 HP, plus short heads being a few hundred $$$ cheaper.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
DAMN IT! I opened this thread hoping for some good A$$ news and as I read it, I died a lil' inside. I was hoping some manufacturer would create some shorty headers. From what I've heard and seen Shorties and LT's do the exact same thing and give out the same amount of HP, but maybe a difference of 1-2 HP, plus short heads being a few hundred $$$ cheaper.
Long tubes do make power, quite a bit more than shorties.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
On these 2011-up V6 cars, installing the longtubes is easier than it was on a Pinto. There's scant reason for a company to market a set of $299 short headers just under their $469 full lengths.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I made 260 rwhp on the dyno jet with a tune, intake,and axle back exhaust, once I put the long tube headers and off road x pipe on we dynoed the car again and made 270rwhp gained a total of 10 rwhp so in my opinion it would be kinda pointless to put shorties on, because you might gain 5rwhp if your lucky.... and that's kind of a long shot lol. And as far as the install for the long tube headers its easy if you have a lift!!! Lol I had a hard time doing this on jack stands.. the hardest part was getting to the 3 bolts holding on the bottom part of the stock manifold

·
Registered
381 Posts
I made 260 rwhp on the dyno jet with a tune, intake,and axle back exhaust, once I put the long tube headers and off road x pipe on we dynoed the car again and made 270rwhp gained a total of 10 rwhp so in my opinion it would be kinda pointless to put shorties on, because you might gain 5rwhp if your lucky.... and that's kind of a long shot lol. And as far as the install for the long tube headers its easy if you have a lift!!! Lol I had a hard time doing this on jack stands.. the hardest part was getting to the 3 bolts holding on the bottom part of the stock manifold
I still think something is weird about your results.

But yea don't really care for the shorties when you can get LTs

·
Registered
405 Posts
A lil' off topic but V6moddedmustang you only made 260 on the dyno with a CAI, TUNE and Axleback? Yo I don't know about that bc a guy with a similar setup on youtube with roush Axlebacks made 297 rwhp and that was without his LT's. What kind of tune did you run?

·
Banned
950 Posts
Keep in mind my car is automatic his is a standard I have 91 bama race tune I used a dyno jet he may have used a different dyno not sure tho. But from what I hear transmissions make a big difference on the dyno...

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeeesh...10hp for $800.00 for LT's, O/R Xpipe and install.............

I would at least expect somewhere near 15+HP increase.

Maybe weather conditions weren't fair that day on your DYNO

·
Banned
950 Posts
Tell me about it lol but I got the chrome headers and off road x pipe so I spent about 600 still hurts a little tho lol... but dyno numbers aren't everything we'll see how she performs on the track... I've destroyed 350z by about 2 to 3 car lenths on the street not sure if they had anything besides a 4 inch fart can on em tho lol and she's also left a few gt owners in disbelief lol but your absolutely right 808driver that's. A lotta $$$$$$ for the hp... but the upside is the car sounds like a monster and scares all the fast and furious ricers away lol

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The long tubes and off-road pipe have made as much as 30 HP on some cars and just looking at the peak numbers doesn't tell the whole story.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Your probably right lightning driver... this was my first time on the dyno and wasn't to sure what the graph really ment lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts