Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 66 Fastback and finally started the process of breaking it down to do the restoration only to discover that the engine is a 289 hi-po but probably not the original engine. Good and bad huh? The VIN is 6T09C118526 but the door data plate is missing. The engine block has the C5AE6015E. It is nearly impossible to tell what the original color is and what the interior original was. There was so many coats of paint and one door (the one with missing the door data plate) was a pony door and the other not.
So the hard question.....do I put it somewhat back to standard and factory look or do I do whatever I want with it? The engine is getting the full treatment (rebuilt, blueprint, balance, etc.). I was going to paint the outside midnight metallic blue and put a black pony interior inside. Nothing too crazy.
I'm not sure if I could get any closer to originality with the door data plate....so I'm putting it out for a poll........

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
considering your motor isn't even the original motor, the only way you can take it back to originality is to get rid of that K code motor, and I think we both know what your response to that is :bigthumbsup

So, I'd say put the things on it that would belong on a 66, but don't try to make a numbers matching car.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
My 65 started as a wrecked, stripped of the drive train and any other easily removed parts, and worn out car, was 289 2v, automatic, 2.80 rear axle, drum brakes, power steering,Wimbledon white, with white interior with black accents when I bought it in 1974. I had enough parts off another mustang (67) to totally replace the missing drive train, the 67 had a blown motor, which I replaced with another 289 65block, 4 sp top loader wide ratio, 3.00:1 rear axle, front disk brakes, manual steering. When I started putting it together, I removed the power steering as it was half missing and put on a manual steering link, my block was already built for racing, bored .040" over, forged pistons, 289 271hp Ford mechanical camshaft, stiffer valve springs, aluminum retainers and titanium keepers, double roller timing chain, high volume oil pump, full grooved main bearings, balanced, all oil return holes chamfered, stock ford 4 barrel intake, 600 cfm autolite carb, spins to 7500 rpms, that where I red line it. I had to replace the third member in the rear end, shortly after I got it running, as the bearings were bad and it kept locking up while driving which resulted in broken teeth in the rear axle, so it got the 3.00:1, the 4 sp top loader has always been a blast to drive, never gave a problem. The original leaf springs I broke both main leafs, I replaced them with the stiffest ones Ford made for a 65, I drove it a lot of years, a few years back I started working on it again, and noticed all 3 of the smaller leafs were broke, but the mains okay. I'm not easy on the gas, but I never dump the clutch. Even though mine has some of the original parts, I have never regretted the mods. And it has always been a lot of fun to drive, 44 years. I've tried at least 5 carbs on the engine, and my autolite has always gave better performance, it might be a few hp less on a dyno, but, response is instantaneous. I always liked the shaker hood scoops on the BOSS's, so I used the scoop for a 2003 mustang and modified it to fit mine, not quite done with that mod, but its on the engine and it shakes. We have a 2004 Sonic Blue 40th Anniversary convertible, it handles like a dream, stops on a dime, a beautiful car, but it's still not the same as driving the 65. So in a nutshell, build it how you want it, and enjoy it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keithkerr
Your fastback is a C code
With a kcode engine in it , with a holly carb and a 4 speed
Dark green with black pony interior

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The *fender* says C-code. But without the door plate too, it's gonna be pretty hard to guess. I know on '67 there's another one hidden under the edge of the passenger fender too which could help verify, but I'm not sure about your year.

Bottom line here though: if it's a C-code, putting in some spiffy K-code goodies is not going to hurt its value. And if it's a K-code with some replaced fenders, then you still have nothing to lose. Just don't expect to sell the car for K-code money later. Do this because it's what you WANT to do, not because you believe it will sell for $50k

My 2 cents? Modernize it where you can't see the difference. Roller cams make for reliability and better throttle response, less clatter. Do the Shelby drop. 1" swaybar, better shocks. Put in discs and a dual cylinder brake setup. Stuff like that will make your car SO much more fun to drive, and safer, but it will still keep all the goodness of a vintage ride. And no matter whether you keep it and drive the wheels off, or decide to sell it later, anyone who gets in the car will appreciate those things.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Your K or HIPO engine block is a standard block all hipos had the c5ae-E block but not all c5ae-e were hipos. Does the engine have a flat tappet mechanical lifter cam (non hydraulic) Does it have a mechanical choke and a dual point non vacuum distributor? Does the alternator have a larger forged pulley? Is the fan non riveted? Lets see stock rod with larger bolts? block and bearing caps drilled and tapped for larger bolts? Most but not all had screw in oil galley plugs versus pressed in. A much larger than standard harmonic balancer? Finally the heads, while the valves and seats are stock the rocker studs are threaded not pressed and there are pockets cast in for the valve springs. Many if not all HIPOS came with autolite 4100 carbs, just lacking the hot idle compensator, the larger holley was installed by SHELBY.

Many 289 4vs ran so well that people often assumed that it must be a HIPO. No way a little 289 pushing 225 horse can outrun a 327 camero right? An itty bitty small block can't change with a big block road runner right? Well many folks found out the truth the hard way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it's not an all original numbers matching car, do what makes you happy with it. And even if it was, the same sentiment applies. There are so many upgrades out there that look "correct", but make the car so much more fun and enjoyable to drive, that it's almost a shame to not take advantage of them. I've done a lot to my car, but it isn't anything I can't undo, and it's way more fun to drive as it is now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts