Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what the opinions were from AFM land...the price ($290, just for parts, not including install) is not exorbitant, but from what I've googled up, it appears that horsepower gains wouldn't be any more than about 8-10 for V6 Dix. Aside from the coolness/bragging quotient, any other bennies that folks are aware of or have experienced? Many thanks, in advance, for any comments...

·
Registered
394 Posts
My research...

I kind of posed this question before in a different thread. What I got back was: the HP per $$ (I was told only 3-5 HP) is not really worth it now if N/A...but once you added a S/C or Turbo, then the benefit becomes great over the stock pipes.

What brand was that for $290? The only ones I can find are the JBA ones and they are $400-$700 depending on the finish (chrome being the cheapest and ceramic titainium being the most).

I had planned on adding the JBA dual exhaust with the JBA shorty ceramic coated headers. The exhaust will come in a few weeks and the headers closer to next summer.

WoMBaT

·
Registered
335 Posts
Go ahead and get the Shorties. Ford's units are priced right; JBA's a little more. Both will give you a FEW more HP, but more importantly, will get rid of those jagged brown chunks of cast iron hanging off your heads!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the jba titatium finish, ceramic coated headers. The power improvement was noticeable... seemed to have more low end torque (sorry, didn't do a dyno run). But, what got me was the sound! I first fired 'er up and the improved sound startled me (i.e. big grin!). Quicker, louder revs, better throttle response. They're worth it!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Go for it! I would have, and still might someday. I'm trying to figure out how to get approval on CAI and Sct Tuner. (wife funding approval):winks We have an 8 month old and another on the way so it is hard to bring up mods right now.......:cool: Good Luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
I kind of posed this question before in a different thread. What I got back was: the HP per $$ (I was told only 3-5 HP) is not really worth it now if N/A...but once you added a S/C or Turbo, then the benefit becomes great over the stock pipes.

What brand was that for $290? The only ones I can find are the JBA ones and they are $400-$700 depending on the finish (chrome being the cheapest and ceramic titainium being the most).

I had planned on adding the JBA dual exhaust with the JBA shorty ceramic coated headers. The exhaust will come in a few weeks and the headers closer to next summer.

WoMBaT
The $290 unit is from MAC Performance and appears on the V6 Mustang Stuff website:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Headers.htm

And thanks to everybody else who chimed in! Not that I really needed a huge push, but...I will shortly be giving another boost to the online retail sales numbers! Hamid, your comment about the sound closed the deal...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Get them regardless of power gains. They are old school and the looks & braggin' rights are well worth it for bench racing.

Do get the ceramic coating though or you will have a shitee looking mess under the hood later. I got a set of Gibson headers one time that were stainless (ah but they were 400 series steel) and looked very very bad a year later. Don't consider the heat containment etc. argument for coating them, just get the coating so they will look good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
zregime said:
And thanks to everybody else who chimed in! Not that I really needed a huge push, but...I will shortly be giving another boost to the online retail sales numbers! Hamid, your comment about the sound closed the deal...
No prob! Happy to be of service!

Just to wet your appetite.... here's a clip I took the day of the install. The sound has mellowed and somewhat deepened since then... and, of course, no clip can truly capture an exhaust note. I started her up near my office the other day and the mailman was behind the car. Before I pulled away, he strolled by and commented... "sounds like a bad boy." I was grinnin' :)

http://www.transcendingtouch.com/mustang/05v6_jbaheaders_jbaduals.mp3

·
Registered
191 Posts
headers are allways a plus....congrats on the one on the way hogpowr.....i have 3 of those things once you get use to havin em you get use to the new budjet and things will be cool.......by the way what was in the water that made them so close together?????? or is it two different ol'lady's????????

i would buy a t.v. and quit doing whatever caused the second one .....:tongue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.