Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I found a Red Convertible with black top Mustang GT. I am new into Mustangs and want to know if i am getting a deal or not. It runs great and is a 5 speed with a great clutch. Here is the kicker the interior is Honorable so it will need new seats and the quarter windows need a new motor the AC needs a Recharge and the thing needs new tires no rust but will need a new paint job. What do you think the price i should be paying for this thing is it has 169,000 miles and im on a budget and no after market parts in it like headers or flow-masters.
I would like to give this guy an offer tomorrow so what do you think its worth?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Have you checked Kelly blue book? Have you looked at "autotraders" to see what they're goin for in good condition? What's he want for it? Look around more bro. That car sounds like a money pit. I wouldn't offer more than 1.5k. You have a lot of repairs ahead of you and he's not gonna pay for it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked around and there going for 4000 but im not paying that much
I asked 2000 but he wouldn't take it

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If it runs well I think it's worth it. The quarter windows are a relatively easy fix. The seats from a 2004 and down are a direct fit. The fact that it's stock hopefully means it wasn't beat on too bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
261 Posts
$4K is too much. Whoever had that car didn't take the best care of it. What's your budget?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Need more pictures. Any rust? Does top work?

Kelly Blue Book and auto trader are meaningless for cars of this vintage.

Need more details to tell you roughly what it's worth. If top works and there is zero rust that's a great starting point as many verts have bad tops which are pricy to repair and rust, depending what and where it is can be a huge expense to fix. Based on your limited description with the 169k on it, I'd say around $2500 is about all it's worth.

Don't expect to buy a 24 year old car for $4k and expect it to be like new with everything perfect. You'll need a bigger budget for that:yup:

Oh yeah, I hate that pinstripe and would be the first thing I took off. Also, a tleast in that pictures it looks like a good polish with a buffer and the paint would be fine. How is paint on the bumpers?

A good way to negotiate a deal like this is start with asking price and deduct cost of parts needing repair. Just be aware that the A/C probably needs new lines and accumulator. Worst case it needs a new evaporator. Tires figure ~350+ for basic street tires. The quarter window motors are $65 each.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You mean I can't get an idea of what the asking price should be by looking at what similar cars are goin for in good condition on autotraders? I didn't come up with 1.5k because it was an old worn out Mustang. If he starts at $1.500, he'll be around your estimated price after haggling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey bro, these are all right answers, No more than 2k for it. I bought mine with 67,xxx miles, been garage kept its who life, never seen snow. maybe go to $2200. I only paid 2500 for mine it needed some minor work too i have the pics up... Another month it will be DOne. If u want it get it.. Thats my theory. U will be pleased. if not They go classic next year the value will only go up.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
And if you think that the ac just needs a recharge then you got alot more coming to you. The ac could cost you hundreds of pesos as it could be plenty of things that are wrong.

How does the car drive?

New tires will run ya $400.

The little things will nickel and dime you to death if you don't account for them up front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
$2300 maybe $2500....people don't realize that Ford cranked out these puppies out like canned Coke.....there isn't really anything all that special about our cars.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A manual will go a long way.

No do yourself a favor and go over the car with a fine tooth comb and get her roadworthy first.

Good luck and keep reading.:winks

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Congrats bro. I'll be lookin for ya around town this summer. We go to the car show at Marley Station just about every Sat.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You mean I can't get an idea of what the asking price should be by looking at what similar cars are goin for in good condition on autotraders? I didn't come up with 1.5k because it was an old worn out Mustang. If he starts at $1.500, he'll be around your estimated price after haggling.
Each car is so different in terms of issues and upgrades that you can't use KBB or places like auto trader. You have to go look at the car, car fax, paperwork, test drive, etc.

Too many times guys post pictures and have stories about their cars and then you go look at it and reality sets in.

OP, good luck. How do strut towers look?

Get some pics of the interior and engine bay and we can gauge how you did. Welcome to the money pit er club. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Before you shell out the money for new quarter window motors take the apart the top where the gear is. My guess is the bushings have decayed. You can find the bushing in the "help" section of the auto parts store. Remove the gear and clean out the housing then install the bushings with fresh grease. This is most likely the case if you hear the motor but it doesn't raise the window.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
that sounds like a good price. Got mine in that condition for 3300. Had to do minor maintenance but well wort it had a strong motor. Good luck with your new ride

1 - 18 of 18 Posts