Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone knows of any problems the 03-04 cobra may have at over 50,000 miles. Right now I have a 90 5.0 GT with over 100,000 miles on the motor and it still runs like champ. My question is since the 03-04 cobra is a beast from the factory will the motor wear down quicker being supercharged plus Im assuming whoever owns it before me probably had their fun it. My plan is to spend somewhere between 15k-20k for a some what high mileage stock cobra, and then put exhaust, pulley, and probably a tune on the car. How many miles should the 03-04 cobras be capable of before having to be rebuilt? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That all depends on how hard the guy before you beat on it, and that is somthing you'll never know. If you do find a deal on one some little old lady owned and you're sure was never beat on, it will be priced way above what you're wanting to pay. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Take it to a trusted mechanic and have him inspect the car, that might answer some of the questions if the car was abused or what.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I would make sure that I bought a one owner model from someone over the age of 40 if possible...also if you take the VIN to a Ford dealer they can pull the service records...iI see these cars all the time on Ebay and many are from people who own many cars and are just unloading

·
Registered
588 Posts
hey

Are you buying from a dealer or a private seller ? If it is from a dealer you can ask for a car fax report and find out how many owners were before you. Then with a little internet search you can see how old those people were, if they were male or female, whereabouts they lived and make a more informed decision. You can do the same with a private seller but you'll have to pay the $25 for a car fax.

I was just curious if anyone knows of any problems the 03-04 cobra may have at over 50,000 miles. Right now I have a 90 5.0 GT with over 100,000 miles on the motor and it still runs like champ. My question is since the 03-04 cobra is a beast from the factory will the motor wear down quicker being supercharged plus Im assuming whoever owns it before me probably had their fun it. My plan is to spend somewhere between 15k-20k for a some what high mileage stock cobra, and then put exhaust, pulley, and probably a tune on the car. How many miles should the 03-04 cobras be capable of before having to be rebuilt? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would make sure that I bought a one owner model from someone over the age of 40 if possible...also if you take the VIN to a Ford dealer they can pull the service records...iI see these cars all the time on Ebay and many are from people who own many cars and are just unloading
+1 on above. I bought an 03 new (still have it) in Oct.03. I was 37 and knew what I was getting. I currently have 24xxx on the car. Mods have been minimal compared to what I see. I certainly don't beat on what was a 12k engine new. I'm sure there are more like me. Just keep looking but be ready to pounce when opportunity knocks.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I great way to see if it has been abused is check the air box!!
If it still has a paper Fram filter with the intake silencer still attached it's a fair bet the person had NO IDEA about modding his/her car.. Check to see if it has the Original Eaton Blower pulley with belt cover still attached, see if it has the stock Catalytic Converters bolted on, the normal stuff!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
516 Posts
cobra

well mine has been used but not beat on,,,,fwiw my first major problem came at 60k....driverside head,,

second was at 170k rear end gears,

3rd was at 210k drivers side head again.

at 237k now and fingers are crossed,,hoping to make 250k on orignal clutch,,,

i say go for it if you have money to burn..this car cost alot to up keep and fix...its well worth it,

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1 on above. I bought an 03 new (still have it) in Oct.03. I was 37 and knew what I was getting. I currently have 24xxx on the car. Mods have been minimal compared to what I see. I certainly don't beat on what was a 12k engine new. I'm sure there are more like me. Just keep looking but be ready to pounce when opportunity knocks.
Bought mine 2 years ago off a 60 year old man that was moving to maui. 15k on it garaged and covered. Perfect. It had a pulley and LT headers. He did have it on the track once before. Thats what he told me. But i don't think it was pushed hard. I took it to the track and pushed it hard. i blow the cats out of it. I dont think he did anything like what I did once. So i will not take it to the track anymore. I just don't want to f it up.But I can say this. They are tough little cars. I drove for 2 days reving to 7k at almost every shift. And the car is still perfect. It always a guess of what any car can really take and I 'm saying they can take alot. 160 mph and slamming on the brakes 100ft before a turn then pedal to the floor over and over. You could not even tell that this is what I did to the car if you drove it. There are signs on cars that can tell you what has been done to them get that car on a lift and really look. look where they jacked it up and see if they did it alot. See if there is any places where the bottom of the car hit. look for sub frame connectors. Mods to the chassis are a sure sign of racing. Look for rubber from burn outs etc...
I bought a new race car for racing and am leaving the nice road cars covered in the garage

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1 on letting a Mechanic look at it, if you don't know what what to look for. If they didn't beat on it all the time, did the regular maint on it, It can last for a long time just like any other car.
Though all cars are made different. One could crap out with 5K miles and one could finally crap out at 150K miles. Mine has 48K on the ticker and it still runs hard but..i'm 30 and don't like to beat on my cars or peel out at every stop sign or try to hit 160mph everytime i get on the freeway. It's my garage queen. but i know that if i ever needed to peel out or do 160mph, it would do it with zero problems.
Also, most people with a Terminator that craps out is due to non stop top end runs or running full boost in 5th and 6th gear:nono: not good unless you want to learn how to rebuild a motor.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the most part I know what to look for as far as alignment, engine noise, and if anything seems kind of funky. My family and I have always fixed our own cars rather then mechanics. But my real question is: How long should an 03-04 Cobra engine last? After all it is supercharged, plus once I get it i'm sure I will be putting more boost into the engine which can't be great for it. So basically, has anyone heard of common problems at certain mileage? Possibly injectors going out? Stuff like that. Thanks for all your feedback!

·
Registered
516 Posts
how long?

For the most part I know what to look for as far as alignment, engine noise, and if anything seems kind of funky. My family and I have always fixed our own cars rather then mechanics. But my real question is: How long should an 03-04 Cobra engine last? After all it is supercharged, plus once I get it i'm sure I will be putting more boost into the engine which can't be great for it. So basically, has anyone heard of common problems at certain mileage? Possibly injectors going out? Stuff like that. Thanks for all your feedback!

did you miss this? i have 237k on a 03 cobra,,cobra problems,,head,head,rear,alt,,,ic pump,ic pump tob,tob,tob,brakes,brakes,tires,tires.

head problem on mine is valve #6,,..cheap fix was 2grand done by myself..

these will be the problems for a stock cobra...

add boost ,who knows?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The more boost you throw at it the more problems you can get or actually..could get. Depends on the tune and how you drive it. Also it's just like any other motor when driving it normal, your just pulling vaccum. I can drive 80mph in 6th pushing 10in of vaccum. When your supercharged it doesn't mean your pushing boost constantly. only when you tip into the throttle more. i can somewhat get on it and hit 0, a little more and i'm at 5psi, floor it and i'm at about 15psi. That's why it depends on your driving habits.
When you see the car ask if you can check for noises, oil leaks, compression check and check the plugs at the same time, what mods does or did it have, does it have a tune or been dyno tuned. If so, what's the AF ratio set and can you see the graph.
How many times to the track, if so. Sometimes you can look in the rear wheel well and see tire/track crap up in there, that can tell you if it's been to the track. See if the rear diff is leaking, since it's aluminum and bad wheel hops and so on can crack the cover or the rear bolt tabs. Ask when has he done a tune up and what all did he do, heck i would even ask what oil he used in the engine. also if he's changed out the tranny and rear fluid.
Ask all you can. If he's not scared and legit, he'll answer all your questions. If he gets nervous or beats around the bush on some questions...walk away.
Good luck though, they are sweet a$$ cars to own.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The reason for that head problem is you have the 4 thread 03 version #1 set on there, reknowned for Horrible cooling passages and plug blowouts on cylinder #7 and #8, if you put a Head Cooling Mod on the first time you did work on it (60K) with a better thermostat and coolant mixture that work you had to do at 210K probably wouldn't have been necessary! and CONGRATS on that mileage I think I told you before to contact Ford Motor Company :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
50 Posts
did you miss this? i have 237k on a 03 cobra,,cobra problems,,head,head,rear,alt,,,ic pump,ic pump tob,tob,tob,brakes,brakes,tires,tires.

head problem on mine is valve #6,,..cheap fix was 2grand done by myself..

these will be the problems for a stock cobra...

add boost ,who knows?
I thought you were kidding when you said you had that much mileage on your Termy. Good Lord man, how the hell did you put all that mileage on that car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.