Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 02 GT as of right now, but am thinking of buying a classic. Im thinking of a 67-69 camaro, or a mach 1 or fastback mustang. Can you guys tell me your thoughts also, specs on a fastback with a 351. Are they faster than a stock 02 mustang GT. Anyway, i found one close to where i live, could you guys tell me if this is a good fastback, worthy of buying? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-FASTBACK-351C-RED-FAST-AND-BEAUTIFUL_W0QQitemZ4593384502QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
810 Posts
I always caution people to be wary of cars that have rust bubbles in the roof....even more so for a car that was just painted 3-4 yrs ago. Not to mention the underside of the hood and the engine compartment that look like they haven't been touched in decades. Someone got a cheapy paint job IMO that tries to hide many hidden flaws and sell the car based on impulse and 10 foot street appeal.

I also always caution people to be waryof cars that sit the way that one does. IMO it looks like it the suspension is all wrong on the car. First glance looks like air shocks in the rear pumped all the way up.

Now to answer your question...will it be faster than a stock 02...screams young and looking for a fast car to smoke tires red light to red light? So it is a weird question quite frankly since any car can be made to be fast, however, this car is most likely not faster than a stock 02 based on nothing more than my opinion looking at pictures and reading the write up (only way to really now is to run them both down the 1/4 and look at the time slips). The motor is setup using a performer intake which is basically a light weight version of the stock intake. Looking at the motor in the picture it doesn't exactly scream hi performance to my untrained eye. Sure it has an aluminum radiator and MSD 6a box...but it also has the low valve covers which don't really cover a performance valve train all too well so I would immediately think stock (read old) motor or rebuilt to stock setup motor with a couple 'go fast' goodies from Summit/Jegs but no real upgrades for power/speed. The upgrade to an OD gear is nice and will offset the RPMs from the low rear gear which will make the car feel like it has some get up and go over a stock 02 gearing setup.

If its close enough, a personal inspection is certainly in order to get a better feel for it though.

On edit: BTW...the car is quite obviously for sale at a used car lot based on the pictures. So take this for what it is worth, but I wouldn't trust too much of what is written in the description but would base ALL opinions on the vehicle based on a personal inspection of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on you.

I would say buy this car only if you love this car. You must have an emotional attachment to this particular car if you want to risk getting it from any dealer. That is because the price, no matter what it is, will always be infated from a dealer. Period. Note all the caveats that dodgestang mentioned, and be rest assured that there will be MANY more when you get this car. You have to want to spend lots of money fixing the body and figuring out what the trunk liner might be hiding, and just how the suspension is set up or finding out that the MSD has been set up all wrong for all of the 69k miles the ODO says. Which could just as easily mean 169k miles since older cars rolled over at only 100k miles. Especially for a car pushing 40 years.

You have to want THIS car. I bought my Mustang because I saw it in Starman (the Movie) and immediately fell completely head over heals in love with it. A love affair that never abated, so I finally had to give in. That I bought it cheap and it can be worth 30x what I paid for it initially means nothing, since I'm never selling it.

However, if you are trying to make a responsible, informed, cost-benefit analysis type purchase, then this is probably NOT the car for you. Mostly because it is a dealer car. You can't trust a used car dealer. Can't. Can't. Can't.

Just my own $.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.