Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a new 09 Blue GT500. The list is 48,200. The dealer will give me 20k for my 05GT with all the mods listed below, take 2k off the top of the new 500, leaving a balance of 26,200. Im too wrapped up in this to make an unemotional decision. I can afford the new payment, but it is still a pretty big monthly hit. My initial reaction is he did not discount the 500 enough but did give me a good price for my 05GT with 29,300 miles on it..Looks like 05s stock are going for around 14 to 15, so Im getting 5k for the mods, or a further discount on the 500, whichever way you want to think of it....What do you think? GA

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you can afford I would do it. But then again, I drop money on my car whenever I have it so I might not be the best financial advisor.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
48k for a GT500 in this economy with Ford's earnings? Isn't the MSRP like 44?I probably wouldn't be tempted unless i saw one for 40k or under.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is your car close to the 500 HP of the GT500?
If it is and you are happy with your current GT don't pay for the GT 500 because of name alone. The 500 is stock?? It depends on what your car is outputting and if you love your current GT or not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if you can afford it and the insurance, go ahead. Ever just think of an engine swap? those can be considerably cheaper pending the block. (plus you would be able to keep much of your hard work!)

·
Registered
680 Posts
+ Tax, Title, Fee's. 20K is alot for your car, but Its hard to go from no payments, to payments, for just a few more ponies w/ essentially the same looking car. Your car is still just a Pup w/ only 30k miles. IDK it's a tough one.
If you were trading for the 2010 Grabber Blue, I might get a little more excited.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Looked at a new '09 vista blue GT500. The list is 48,200. The dealer will give me 20k for my '05 GT with all the mods listed below, and take $2K off the top of the new GT500, leaving a balance of 26,200. I can afford the new payment, but it is still a pretty big monthly hit. My initial reaction is he did not discount the GT500 enough but did give me a good price for my '05 GT with 29,300 miles on it. Looks like '05s stock are going for around 14 to 15, so I'm getting $5K for the mods, or a further discount on the GT500, whichever way you want to think of it. What do you think?
He's not giving you anything for your mods. He's discounting the GT500 more than $2K, but inflating the trade-in value of your car to make you feel better about the deal. For proof of this, tell him you already have a private buyer for your GT and ask him how much for the GT500 without any trade-in. You'll know from the figure he then quotes just how much he was really willing to give you for your '05.

Should you do it? If you still owe anything on your '05, then no. If the '05 is completely paid off, then maybe, depending on what the new payment will do to your monthly finances (you said it would be a pretty big monthly hit). You have a pretty darn nice car right now, and it would be very tempting to just keep it and enjoy it and also enjoy not having any monthly car payment in this economy.

Isn't the MSRP like $44K?
He clearly stated the MSRP of that specific car is $48,200 (with the specific options it has on it, as opposed to base MSRP).

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't. At least not at that price...

Dealers make most of their money from a trade in. They either give you a lot of $$$ for your car and take nothing off of the new one; or vice versa. Either way you look at it, it is the same amount off of the 500....So, if they gave you a penny for your car, then took $21,999.99 off the original price of the 500; would you take it?

I think that they are charging way to much for the GT500. Like others, I've seen many go for under $40k...But in this economic climate, its a buyers market...If you can afford it. I bought my new 08' GT 5spd, Roush leather seats, etc. for 22k out the door in March(took months of hunting, but WELL worth it).....kinda getting off topic here....

...Don't let them fool you with a high trade in price, but low discount for the 500. Try not to get emotional about it...these guys are getting desperate to sell(even though they may not act like it). Just low ball them, see if they take it; if not...well than you have one badass GT:bigthumbsup to drive around in until the next 500...IMO, good luck bro

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was kinda thinking the same thing about the same looking cars...I could spend some and have the same 500 hp but it is still not a Shelby...These cars will hold there value alot more than a modded GT. Especially when Shelby kicks off...not wishing him ill will, but he is getting up there and already has had a heart transplant. The only mod I would do on this car is to lower it. Just about everything else is fine with me...Of course an intake and pulley will make alot more hp.....There I go again......I do think that there might be a better deal out there...Think I will let the dealer worry about it thru the weekend...He has already called me 3 times since I left the showroom...GA

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You'll be paying way too much monthly like you said. You may not mind the first 2 payments, but after the new car fever you'll regret writing that check every month.
I'm very happy with my GT even though I can't afford much right now in mods the potential for that engine is still there. Think about it, you can do so much to your car still. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a NEW 2007 GT VERT for 22,200. Full factory warranty from Russ Milne Ford. Sounds like a lotta green to me! :gringreen but then again, I'm a BARGAIN shopper! Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looked at a new 09 Blue GT500. The list is 48,200. The dealer will give me 20k for my 05GT with all the mods listed below, take 2k off the top of the new 500, leaving a balance of 26,200. Im too wrapped up in this to make an unemotional decision. I can afford the new payment, but it is still a pretty big monthly hit. My initial reaction is he did not discount the 500 enough but did give me a good price for my 05GT with 29,300 miles on it..Looks like 05s stock are going for around 14 to 15, so Im getting 5k for the mods, or a further discount on the 500, whichever way you want to think of it....What do you think? GA
You are the only one who can answer this question, since it is not just a matter of $$$, it is a matter of loving the car, long term investment etc, all what I can tell you, is a friend of mine, traded in an 06 GT convertible and got himself an 08 GT500 for $62K. Again he really wanted one, he ordered one and he did not care about trade in. Another story is another friend put in an order on a camaro in the Detroit area, couple of days ago saw the new GT500 ( 2 of them at that dealership) he stopped by and starting talking to the dealer and told him that he is looking to spend 38K on his camaro. The dealer told him to pick one right now for that price. He did not, since he doesn't care about the GT500. So I hope both of this incidence help you make up your mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a NEW 2007 GT VERT for 22,200. Full factory warranty from Russ Milne Ford. Sounds like a lotta green to me! :gringreen but then again, I'm a BARGAIN shopper! Bob
sorry man, don't mean to rain on your parade, but don't you think you overpaid on this one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
22,200 for a BRAND NEW 11 miles 2007 Mustang GT CONVERTIBLE...........overpaid?!? I don't think so. :gringreen
sorry I thought you said 11K miles, my bad, very good deal ...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would go for it but im an 18 year old kid with nobody depending on my earnings.....good luck, let us know

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.