Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a super clean 06 GT Convertible manual with only 18K miles. It is like new, really. I installed a Shaker Hood Scoop, other than that, the car is completely stock and super nice as is.

My last Mustang was also an 06 GT (hardtop auto) that had Ford Hot Rod Cams, L/T headers, x-pipe, CAI, under-drive pulleys, and 3.73 gears. I sold that car to my neighbor and every time I hear that car, I want it back from him. I am mid-50's and not headed to the track and not trying to get faster to beat someone in a race on my local streets. I just want that loping sound that the cams gave my neighbors car, the one he won't sell back to me.

So, the question is, if HP gains are not my primary goal, but that loping sound I can only get from aftermarket cams is what I am after - what other things must I do if I install have the cams installed? Some say without L/T headers, the cams do not do much. Can I stick with an all-stock exhaust with aftermarket cams? Pros and cons of doing so. Do I need to go to 3.73 gears, at a minimum if I get cams installed?

Last question - Is installing cams in a car with only 18K miles a wise decision just to get that sound or am I potentially asking for problems? There is a reputable speed shop nearby that would do the job for me. They put the cams in the last car I owned (before I owned it) but I did get them to install a cat-back system on that car since it was not street legal when I bought it.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Man, just start with a set of mufflers.
The rear gear depends on which cams you get. It’s not really a “one size fits all” type situation. Pick the cam and the get corresponding gear set. You could probably find a grind that will work with your stock rear gear if you wanted to.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you were concerned with increasing power, I would discourage the cams only approach. Since you're only after the sound, I say do what makes you happy. There are plenty of cams designed to give the lope without killing low end torque so re-gearing won't be absolutely necessary.
Since you will need a tune anyway, I would suggest getting an aftermarket intake as well to add some lovely induction roar to your cam-lope.

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
@Nippy 06
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

You finally posted after 4 months :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Nippy 06
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

You finally posted after 4 months :eek:
LOL...I had to gather my thoughts....and I am a very slow thinker. Kidding.

I was really considering having the car painted white, door jambs, under the hood, everything....as my last Mustang was white and every time I see that car (which I sold to my neighbor) I wish I too had a white mustang. With the black Bullitt wheels, I just really like that combo. Anyways, after getting a few quotes ($5K) and people (like the guy at the body shop) saying that the existing factory paint was in way too condition to get it covered, I decided to just let it marinade for a few months to see if the silver grew on me, which it did. So that has opened up the budget for mods such as the ones I am now considering.

I am waiting for the shop to reply to my request for a quote. I am thinking I may just do the cams and gears and a tune for now, then later add the L/T headers and new X-pipe and Flow Master mufflers. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You can see what I did to my car. I always loved a N/A build for the sound and raw horsepower.
If I ever concidered a different cam, I'd look into Lunati. I'm actually sorry I didn't seriously concider them when I was putting cams my car.
If I do anything else to my street ride, at this point, I'll put 3.73 gears in.
Don't listen to 901xWhite.....he's a Dallas fan. Lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see what I did to my car. I always loved a N/A build for the sound and raw horsepower.
If I ever concidered a different cam, I'd look into Lunati. I'm actually sorry I didn't seriously concider them when I was putting cams my car.
If I do anything else to my street ride, at this point, I'll put 3.73 gears in.
Don't listen to 901xWhite.....he's a Dallas fan. Lol
Wait, regard 901xWhite ....are you a Ravens fan? I am originally from Pittsburgh. Go Steelers.

I think I am going to go with the Ford Performance Racing Cams and either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. I have to decide the best match for those cams. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
I think I am going to go with the Ford Performance Racing Cams and either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. I have to decide the best match for those cams. Any thoughts?
For my tastes, with the stock cams, the 3.73's are a bit short and the 4.10's would be annoyingly short. I wouldn't go any shorter than 3.73, assuming those cams do not sacrifice a ton of low end torque.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the FRPP Hot Rod Cams with my stock 3.55's. Once I had it properly tuned by Lito I didn't notice much loss on low end torque and cam "bucking" at low rpm's. Stay away from BAMA.

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Not a Ravens fan. My life isn't complicated enough so I'm a Skins fan. Lol.
Pittsburgh?!?! I guess you won't even care what I recommend!! Hahaha!! I'm sorry. I did enjoy that game!!
901 and I have had our banters back and forth lately. Sall good man. No hating here.

As far as your build, I don't know if the ford hot rod cams sound too aggressive.
I do know my Detroit rockers didn't sound aggressive to me. They were installed with stock exhaust except for race mufflers and it still was pretty sedate to me.
Then I installed headers/ H pipe and the sound is much better, not to mentio HP.
So yes, I believe your cams will sound better with upgraded exhaust.

As far as gears, I had a guy that drag raced for decades, approach me as I was parking my car. He liked what I did and I asked his opinion on 4.10 gears. He said it's too much for the street. Said 3.73s are perfect for street. There's also people here that told me the same thing.
That's the last thing I'll do with my car , performance wise. 3.73 gears. You don't need to go to 4.10s.
I'm doing a gear change to be a bigger jerk from a green light. Lol
I've been running the stock 3.55s and really haven't missed a beat but I know I'll enjoy a little more gear.
It's all a personal preference.
As far as putting cams in a car with 18k on the clock, I wouldn't worry about it. Properly maintain all aspects of your engine.
Do not neglect regular oil changes!!!
Changing oil on a regular basis is much cheaper than the results from neglecting your engine.
In my opinion, I've seen more 05-06 owners here have issues with front engine problems that are not aftermarket cam related. I'm referring to timing chain guides that become brittle and fall apart inside.
With proper oil changes this might not be as much of an issue but we all know how some rides are abused.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess I should clarify...the loping sound is my main concern but I do also want a quicker launch. I think I am going to go with the 3.73 gears, cams, and tune for now, see how it sounds and feels and then maybe later, add the L/T headers and aftermarket h-pipe and mufflers. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
A JLT 3 CAI, underdrive pulleys, charge motion delete plates, Kooks headers with catted X pipe, FR500S axlebacks, Hot Rod cams, and 3.73 gears would be a nice N/A combination good for ~340rwhp & 330rwtq and give you the lopey sound you're looking for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bullitt95, I may get there some day but for now, I think just the cams, gears 3.73, and tune are my first mods. Then later....headers, x-pipe, exhaust.

I do have a Shaker Hood installed and I am wondering if adding the CAI would be worth the expense.

I am diving in. The shop ordered that parts yesterday. I will grab a video of my exhaust sound before and after the cam install and post it here.

1. Ford Hotrod Performance Cams
  2. Ford Racing Valve Covers (Blue)
  3. Ford Cam Phaser Bolts
  4. Ford Racing 3.73 Gear
  5. Ford Slip lock
  6. SCT X4 Tuner

Future additions: BBK ceramic L/T headers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick question what is the RWHP and Torque values for a stock 06 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed?

What should I expect with 3.73 gears (I realize no change in HP) and Ford Performance Aftermarket cams?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quick question what is the RWHP and Torque values for a stock 06 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed?

What should I expect with 3.73 gears (I realize no change in HP) and Ford Performance Aftermarket cams?
Bone stock the 3V makes an average of 265rwhp & 285rwtq. Some a little higher and some a little lower.
The Hot Rod cams will add ~20rwhp but expect a torque loss below 4200rpm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Picked up my car yesterday after install of the Ford Hotrod Performance Cams and 3.73 gear. Dyno shows 284 HP and 300 torque. I think I am going for the L/T headers and CAI soon.

The cams sound good but I think the stock manifold is obviously holding me back a bit.

Also, regarding the 3.73, how drastic of a change should I expect regarding my RPMs. For example, if I was at 2000 RPM in 5th gear at 75 MPH with the stock gears, what should I see with the 3.73 gears at that speed/gear? (I am still learning this stuff, so thanks).

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Picked up my car yesterday after install of the Ford Hotrod Performance Cams and 3.73 gear. Dyno shows 284 HP and 300 torque. I think I am going for the L/T headers and CAI soon.

The cams sound good but I think the stock manifold is obviously holding me back a bit.

Also, regarding the 3.73, how drastic of a change should I expect regarding my RPMs. For example, if I was at 2000 RPM in 5th gear at 75 MPH with the stock gears, what should I see with the 3.73 gears at that speed/gear? (I am still learning this stuff, so thanks).
Here’s a calculator. What was the original gear? As for the cai, it’s 98.3% eye candy. I’m not sure how restrictive the stock air box is in the ‘06, but my ‘95 showed zero gain from a CAI. It looked cooler though.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
they say the CAI is worth 10-20 HP on the early S197's ; and in combination with the LT headers and cams I'd say the intake is definitely worth doing to help the whole system breath

but I am not talking about the intake manifold; pretty sure the gains there are smaller; you might want to look at the FRPP intake, since you are moving everything toward high RPM horsepower anyway (I'm pretty sure the FRPP intake sacrifices some low end torque for high end HP, but you already did that with the cams so they'd probably work well together)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts