Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I started to hear a knocking coming from the bottom of my engine. My regular mechanic, who does not do heavy engine work, said that it is most likely a rod bearing and that it can be very expensive. I've thought about selling it recently anyways, so I took it to CarMax and they offered me $4500. The blue book on it is $7500 trade-in and $9900 private party.

Does anyone know what it might cost to get it fixed? Should I risk the repair and keep the cobra in hopes to sell it for more or take the gamble and sell it for the lowball price of $4500?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I'd sell it private party with the knock...it's going to need a rebuild which is about $4-5000.
Chances are someone would pay more than $4500

·
Registered
197 Posts
A rebuild, if you do it yourself, is not going to cost 4-5k. I built my motor and after the machine work on the block, decking the heads, pistons, rods, and bearings my bill was only $2500. If you do it all yourself, pull the motor, have the crank polished, new bearings, new rings, hone the block, new torque to yield side bolts, head gaskets and some other misc things along the way, you can sure do it for a lot less.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
how many people really have the tools, resources and expertise to rebuild an engine? I'd wager not many, esp a mod motor, if you do then I don't feel you can say your time spent has no value and that somehow lowers the cost of the build.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So you assume everyone is an idiot and can't build their own motor. I like to think that everyone has either the ability to learn or know how unless they equipment otherwise.

It being a 99 motor with a tensed block, makes it repairable if you ask me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
$2500 is about AS LOW as your gonna get with the rebuild you describe, whose the one pulling the motor? coming out from the top or dropping K-member? No work to the heads, valve seals etc..? My rebuild was about $4K and I'm figuring in all fluids,fasteners,gaskets, full machine work with torque plate honing...I think that's a good price, plenty of other guys are at $5500-$6000!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
So you assume everyone is an idiot and can't build their own motor. I like to think that everyone has either the ability to learn or know how unless they equipment otherwise.

It being a 99 motor with a tensed block, makes it repairable if you ask me.

no, I'm being very practical, a small block maybe, but I've seen many a professional mechanic botch building mod motors...
BTW it's TEKSID not tensed

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sell it. If you aren't into it now anyway, you still wont be after its fixed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
no, I'm being very practical, a small block maybe, but I've seen many a professional mechanic botch building mod motors...
BTW it's TEKSID not tensed

Spell check on the phone and didn't see it. I am aware its Teksid.

·
Registered
197 Posts
$2500 is about AS LOW as your gonna get with the rebuild you describe, whose the one pulling the motor? coming out from the top or dropping K-member? No work to the heads, valve seals etc..? My rebuild was about $4K and I'm figuring in all fluids,fasteners,gaskets, full machine work with torque plate honing...I think that's a good price, plenty of other guys are at $5500-$6000!
I wasn't insinuating that it would be $2500, but more or less you could do it cheaper than the $5K originally quoted to him if he has auto skills to do it himself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input everyone. It ended up having 2 blown rods and the mechanic said it would cost way more than 4k to rebuild it. I'm not mechanic savvy nor do I have the resources to work on engines if I was, so I sold it for $4500. Two days later I purchased a 2007 Shelby GT500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts