Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
IMO and experience the braking requirements for road courses and autocross are quite different. On a road course the speeds are much higher and the time on track is much longer. The SN197 Mustang is a fairly heavy car and brake fade is a real concern. Track capable pads, high temp fluid and air cooling ducts will be necessary especially as skill levels increase. In autocross the speeds are lower and the time on track is much shorter. If you're on track for much over a minute in an autocross the course is either unusually long or you're just slow. The main braking requirement in autocross is good initial bite and modulation. The last thing you want in autocross are pads that need to build up a lot of heat before they work well. The only thing in autocross that taxes the brake's fade resistance is the fact that the corners come at you much more quickly than they do on a road course. During an autocross usually your left foot is either braking or hovering just above the pedal while your right foot is operating the throttle. On a road course even in a fast car with a skilled driver there is a little time between corners for the brakes to cool a bit. This is where air cooling ducts really come into play. The only time I got the brakes fairly hot at an autocross was several years ago in my '72 'Cuda at a fun autocross where we could make as many back to back runs as we wanted. It was a fast course and I was giving rides to some friends. At the end of the third run I could smell the brakes coming across the exit timers. It still stopped OK, but I didn't think a fourth run would be a good idea either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I finally got a chance to unbox the brembo kit from vorshlag and I have to say they did an A+ job with the packing. Everything arrived undamaged and in mint condition. They weren't kidding when they say they pack well. Maybe they should give lessons to the people at ford racing since their brembo kit really contains no packing at all, they just throw everything in a cardboard box. Now I'll just have to wait until the weather warms up so I can install them. On a side note, does anyone know where I can get replacement washers for the russell stainless brake lines? I already have those installed and will be reusing them when I install the brembos

·
Registered
704 Posts
OP;

Be sure to but some anti-squeal stuff for the back of the pads and the backer plates. I installed some ceramic pads without it, and they squeaaaaaled like little piggies. I can't remember what stuff I bought, but it was red and almost like a silicone sealant, and it works very well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For sure. Hawk provides an anti squeal compound with all of their pads as that is what I am going with. I put it on the stock GT size pads and they are quiet as fudge. In my experience ceramic pads squeal more than other high performance pads. I tried american muscle's pro stop rotors and pads before going HPS and they sucked, worse than stock braking. And they squealed like a pig, haha.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts