Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while looking and paying close attention to my front bumper, it has a TON of rock chips, it is evenly pelted by sand and rocks (apparently Az has alot of those) it is entirely covered in tiny white spots and my hood had larger more obvious ones, should i re-spray my hood and bumper? if i do re spray them im putting a clear bra on it ASAP after wards to protect, the car has 69k miles, the rest of the car is in pretty darn good shape if i say so myself, id say normal to less than normal wear and tear on the paint (except the front that is)

bottom line, should i re spray hood and bumper? has anyone had any experiences? will you be able to tell its been re-sprayed? will it hurt the value of the car? im talking about having someone sand and re-paint professionally.

thanks for the input guys!!! greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If done correctly, you should not be able to tell the difference of new vs old paint (assuming of course the old paint is in good condition).....what you want is (assuming the current paint has some degree of fade) is paint matching......the best solution is to locate either paint/body shop or auto paint supplier who has a "camera" (it is in essence a scanner that reads the paint and then when downloaded into software it determines what the specific mix should be based upon oem formula.

With regards to clear bra....a very good idea but IMHO, I would wait 6+ months (the Az heat speed things up here) after painting to install....many issues with fresh paint & CB being installed early!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Any reputable professional collision shop will be able to paint it and you'd never know it had been repainted. It's what they do every day... Blending and matching.

If it were my own car I'd put down three coats of SPI epoxy, because it's a relatively soft epoxy and this is what confers chip resistance. It also confers rust resistance. And since you have black paint id use black epoxy. This way when the paint chips again (and it will) the chip is less noticeable because if the black epoxy. And the epoxy will still provide great protection against the elements. If you were taking it to a shop is just see if they were going to use a black primer underneath since you get bad chips.

You definitely don't want anything over fresh paint. You don't even want to cover fresh paint with a car cover.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts