Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I supercharge my 86 5.0 with 161,000 miles?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Isphius 
#1 ·
is 161,000 miles on my 5.0 1986 too high to put a vortec supercharger in it
and can sum tell me wat else would i have to get i was too supercharge my 5.0 besides the supercharger

G
#2 ·
I am not a 5.0 guy, but if it was me i wouldn't. Unless u had the money to invest in a new engine or buildup of the old one in the not so distant future. If so then go ahead and charge away, but I wouldnt waste my time with the install if i was gonna have to replace it soon. Maybe it will be a freak and go to 250k!! :winks Thats my .02

#4 ·
that's true it doesnt matter how many mile's you got as long as the engine was taken care of, i have 76,000 miles on my 89 and it runs BEUATIFUL lol so yea go ahead and charge her up

G
#6 ·
ax0r said:
that's true it doesnt matter how many mile's you got as long as the engine was taken care of, i have 76,000 miles on my 89 and it runs BEUATIFUL lol so yea go ahead and charge her up

Maybe u guys are right, but 76,000 miles is ALOT different then 161,000!! :happyhapp

#12 ·
i also say do it, im thinkin about charging mine with 100,000 miles on it. i think as long as the motor has been well taken care of and you arent going to run crazy boost #'s u should be ok. i would do an 8-10 psi kit

#13 ·
Hey all, im new here, first post actually, But i plan on buying an 89-91 GT soon, and a vortech supercharger. My main question is, is the 5.0 in a 1989 bronco the same block? because i have 2 of those. And ill rebuild one if itll work. Next question is, will the stock transmission and fuel system work with 6-8 psi of boost? And also else what goes bad with miles on these cars? I own a 1988 toyota supra right now, im going to sell it soon. I know everything about that car and being a mechanic, but ive never even seen under the hood of a mustang. :( I do like them a lot tho.

#15 ·
Think about it this way.

If you buy a supercharger for your 'Stang... you will always have a supercharger. No matter what. Buy a new engine, you still have the supercharger; blow a piston, you still have the Supercharger.

I've heard of S/C's going on engines with over 200,000 miles. Yes, you read that correctly.

My suggestion: Supercharge!

#18 ·
If you're running on your Stock Transmission, it won't go beyond 500 HP without snapping something major.

Look into a T-56 or a Rebuild kit from G-Force.

As far as the Bronco Block: No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.