Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 01 gt, 5 speed with mac underdrives, prochamber o/r, mac straight shot cai, would i be better going with a s/c or doing a swap for a 2003 cobra motor, and would it be difficult to swap?

·
Registered
34 Posts
racingstripes said:
i have an 01 gt, 5 speed with mac underdrives, prochamber o/r, mac straight shot cai, would i be better going with a s/c or doing a swap for a 2003 cobra motor, and would it be difficult to swap?
Its gonna cost you a ton to switch over to that Cobra motor. Being that ur swithcing over to a DOHC setup, and not just changing displacement, it makes for a wiring and electronics mess im sure. I think even with a ur 2v motor and a supercharger, with a good amount of tuning, you can get to "Cobra-like" performance levels.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
With the right tune and an intercooled setup, you can expect damn near 400 rwhp for about 6 grand. You can hardly even get the DOHC motor for that amount. Much less get it installed and all the odds and ends pieces gathered.

G

·
I changed the thread title. For future reference try to be more descriptive with the title so it states exactly what u wanna know. You will have much more and better responses in the long run. Thanks :eyepoppin

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I don't know anything compared to the other guys, but if your up to the challenge financial and otherwise and you put the Cobra motor in, you can always sc that, down the road and really have a racer. If you sc your motor, it'll be great, but it will never be a sc'd Cobra. (I love the Cobra).

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Larry, the '03 Cobra motor is supercharged from the factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Vote is for the Kenne Bell kit. thats what i've got and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Don't forget with the Cobra motor, that your tranny needs to be swapped too.. that's another chunk of change...

I agree with above, you can spend less money and get better performance.. but make sure you ready your internals and axle before you go to the 400+hp club..

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You can run low 400's to the ground with relative confidence. Just make damn sure the tune is good and you don't try to put all that power down with drag radials and stock halfshafts. Street tires are ok because they'll spin before the halfshafts snap.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Basically it comes down to how much money you have to spend.. the Kenne is great on the GT... you could also go with a Mach1 motor and Kenne that but with that your also changing the computer and tranny so that adds $$$... And with all that Hp you gotta watch the other parts like BlueStreak said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.