Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this has never happened before and I'm very confused as to what it is...

I just shut off the engine of my 1966 I-6. and the car shook alot more than it has before and then finally **** off.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid or something but I just dont want my car to be starting to mess up and something crazy happens. Especially since this is my Daily Driver.

any ideas or help would be awesome! Thanks!

also another question. Even after my car has been sitting over night when i walk out to it in the morning you can just smell gas. but there arent any holes in the tank or filler neck etc.

Thanks

Namath

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello Namath,
FIRST - good info and good detective work. I will explain.

When you smell gas - -it is of course a reason for concern.
You are doing the right thing in checking for leaks.
A simple trick is to lay an old sheet under the car and see if there are signs
of a leak. It could be anywhere from the tank to the motor.

With that said however - -I feel pretty certain your problem is a stuck
float or bad float. In any case - -the issue sounds like it is carb related.

The condition you describe is know as "dieselling. This happens when raw fuel
(gas) goes into a hot motor. It causes the motor to try to run even though the key is
off. This condition is also referred to as "run on".

The first somewhat band-aid approach is to tap the top of the carburetor
above the fuel bowl. Give is a few pretty good taps with the blunt end of a screw driver.
You don't want to beat the thing - -but what you are trying to do is loosen
the needle valve that controlls the amount of gas in the carb.

You may get lucky and this will fix the situation.

HOWEVER - - it is likel that you will need to rebuild the carb or replace it.
What I think si happening is the needle is NOT shutting off the fuel. This can be the result of a stuck/bad float.

So try the simple tap and then you may consider a rebuild or new carb.

I wish it were better news - BUt it could be a lot worse.

Let us know what happens and we will try to help further

Print DAD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Print DAD,

Thank you for the help. So the problem with the engine shutting off and shaking like that is from the carb? or is that just because the engine is hot?

or is all of these problems you listed related to the carburetor? the reason I ask is just because I replaced the carb last week with a Carter YF from an autolite 1100. And Im just trying to figure out the best way to get this very reliable and not a car that im afraid is going to strand me somewhere, you know?

Im not all that mechanically inclined. But im trying to learn haha

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Was it just a quick shudder, or did it run for ten seconds while making all sorts of painful knocking sounds?

It very well could be a stuck float or something. Another quick solution is to clamp the fuel line (if it's a rubber line) and run it until it dies. It'll unstick the float for a bit, but you really should just rebuild the carb and give it a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was really just a quick shudder and then it shut off.

I'm not too surprised that the carb is acting up. The guy I bought the car from lent it to me until he can get one of those brand new autolite 1100s in from pony carbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts