Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so.. I own a 1995 Mustang GT (Automatic) with a just few mods and i love the car, also I'm 17 and a junior in high school, and at my school EVERYBODY thinks that if you have a sports car, it has to be a manual or its slow..

and because their (stock) civic or cavalier is a 5 speed it is fast.. :nono: It seems like ever since the Fast and the Furious movies, anybody with a manual car with a muffler on it has a race car.

So since my car is a automatic, everyone thinks its slow. I know my cars got a lot of potential.. but i just get really sick of hearing "why didn't you buy a manual?"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree....manuals for sure have their place....and with all the televised drag races, NASCAR, etc, everyone seems to have the perception that standard is the way to go. A solid running and tuned automatic does the trick for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
seriously, any automatic 'stang is faster than any stick shift ricer civic with a fart can stuck on the end... in my opinion, a sports car should be a stick... but i can respect a mustang no matter what transmission type you have! one last thing though: if you ever get a chance to drive a stick (maybe you have already) you will most likely enjoy it so much more than an auto, your next car will probably be a stick. i got an manual and i love it so much that if i am ever unfortunate enough to drive a minivan, i WILL make that thing a stick shift. i just have more fun and it puts you more in control of your car. but thats just me... point is, dont you EVER let those kids with the rice tell you their stick civics are better than your auto 'stang!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I personally like a manual trans in muscle/sports cars. Just so much more fun to drive, and thats just my opinion. My 1st car was a 4 speed manny '69 Chevelle SS396... But a Stang is a Stang and I would have an auto trans stang over any rice car any day..
:bigthumbsup
YOU know YOU have the best car, and that's all that matters! Don't let the ricer guys get you down man..

·
Registered
2 Posts
automatic is cool to me

Okay so.. I own a 1995 Mustang GT (Automatic) with a just few mods and i love the car, also I'm 17 and a junior in high school, and at my school EVERYBODY thinks that if you have a sports car, it has to be a manual or its slow..

and because their (stock) civic or cavalier is a 5 speed it is fast.. :nono: It seems like ever since the Fast and the Furious movies, anybody with a manual car with a muffler on it has a race car.

So since my car is a automatic, everyone thinks its slow. I know my cars got a lot of potential.. but i just get really sick of hearing "why didn't you buy a manual?"
i have an automatic 2000 gt,yes its not as fast,but its fast enough for me and she looks good. so in long run as you get older,like me automatic is better.so deal with it and enjoy your ride

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Im with Mustang guy. Drove a manuel tranny for first 25 years, and no doubt its a blast. Once I went back to an AOD, I have spoiled myself....and I spill my beer a lot less.

·
Registered
343 Posts
yep, less spillage occurs when youre in an auotmatic!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just hovered my mouse over "best car" in my post (#3) and... an ad for a 2008 Toyo Corolla popped up! WTF?? And one more time... you have the best car, don't pay attention to the ricer aholes, be PROUD you own an American Legend! Those other guys are not so fortunate, you might wanna feel sorry for them.. NOT!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just hovered my mouse over "best car" in my post (#3) and... an ad for a 2008 Toyo Corolla popped up! WTF?? And one more time... you have the best car, don't pay attention to the ricer aholes, be PROUD you own an American Legend! Those other guys are not so fortunate, you might wanna feel sorry for them.. NOT!!
absolutly right! lets see, what sounds better: "American Legend" or "rice"? ..."American Legend" or "...rice..." hmmmmmmmmmm....:headscratch: i believe that a no-brainer... yep let them think that their ride is better than yours... those losers will never own something as beautiful or fast or as legendary as a mustang.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course I'm proud of my car! i've worked my butt off for that car! And its pretty awesome to have one of the nicest cars in my town at only 17!

anyways ill just have to show all the ricers up this April!
my school district holds a "Battle of the high schools"
and its held at the Cordova drag strip. Only car's at my school I'm worried about is a 02 LS1 Camaro SS and my buddies 89 Fox 5.0

·
Registered
343 Posts
Of course I'm proud of my car! i've worked my butt off for that car! And its pretty awesome to have one of the nicest cars in my town at only 17!

anyways ill just have to show all the ricers up this April!
my school district holds a "Battle of the high schools"
and its held at the Cordova drag strip. Only car's at my school I'm worried about is a 02 LS1 Camaro SS and my buddies 89 Fox 5.0
yea man i know where your coming from... im only 18 and i bought my 'stang when i was 17 too. i worked so hard to earn that money for a down payment! but it was worth it, because i had the nicest at my high school that i bought myself, no help from mom and dad. now that im out of school, i have even more time to spend with my mustang! but yea kid, you better be proud; you own a legend and you earned it!

·
Banned
269 Posts
I bought my first 5.0 when I was 18 and it was automatic. The whole time I had it I was looking for a 5 speed. Yeah the automatic was fun, but not even comparable to my new 5.0 5 speed. I'm not saying the autos are slow or anything but when it comes down to pure driving for joy. An auto and a manuel are not even comparable. For an auto you have to pay attention to what rpms it will shift at and base your joy on the road to that, where as a stick you can have instant power the second you down shift. That's just my two cents. If you only race get an auto. If you want to have fun, buy a stick. Lastly, if you ever watch auctions, its the manuels whcih bring in the most money.

·
Registered
514 Posts
ha bro dont let that get you down. some of the fastest cars are automatic 3 speeds. psht i would love a C4 tranny in my car instead of my T5

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Hey nothing wrong with an automatic. A lot of car that drag race are automatic.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I love my 5 speed 93 GT but I would love to have a tiptronic 5 speed transmission. It gives you the best of both worlds, redline shifting when your really unleashing it or automatic laziness when you feel like it. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey Jaron4991 and grimmreaper1221
Good to see other young people who had to work for their cars. We have so much more pride than those other kids because we own an american icon and we worked for it ourselves. It doesn't matter if it's an automatic or what.

Being able to leave them in the dust doesn't hurt either...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Hey Jaron4991 and grimmreaper1221
Good to see other young people who had to work for their cars. We have so much more pride than those other kids because we own an american icon and we worked for it ourselves. It doesn't matter if it's an automatic or what.

Being able to leave them in the dust doesn't hurt either...:bigthumbsup
Hey do not worry what others think it is your car. Let them worry about there car.:gringreen

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
You can't shift a manual as fast as an auto. An auto against a manual on a track will win with the cars and drivers being equal.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
You can't shift a manual as fast as an auto. An auto against a manual on a track will win with the cars and drivers being equal.
Depends on the class restrictions.

Besides, there is no such thing as 'equal' at the track. The variables are too many to contemplate.

And in a bracket race I'll beat you...period!:hihi:

Well said for a 17 year old!:)

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The automatic may feel slower but it's mainly perception. On the track, stock for stock, the automatic isn't that far behind. I also agree that a manual is more fun, you feel in total control over the drivetrain, but an automatic get a better converter (equivalent of a clutch) and a shift kit/modified valvebody (equivalent of a short throw shifter), it'd have no problem handling a manual tranny. Plus, no slipping clutches, shift forks, missing gears... Let the Fast And The Furious fans run their mouth, show em at that event you have coming up.

And I got my car when I was 18, so no biggie about that but my first car was a rattle trap 1976 Nova with an anemic 305 that had no inside door handles and a broken steering wheel and turn signal arm. But I put chrome Edelbrock valve covers and chrome Moroso air cleaner on it and I was smokin... :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts