Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a PDF, link or instructions on how to remove the outside side skirts on the 05 mustang.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
danalor said:
Does anyone have a PDF, link or instructions on how to remove the outside side skirts on the 05 mustang.

Thanks
Is this what you are looking for?

Billy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick question on the removal though, any idea what is meant by a suitable tool for removing the retainers.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a special tool used to remove the fasteners. It is like a fork, it has two flat prongs with a large gap in-between them. If you don't have this tool you can use one or two flat head screw drivers. It might be difficult with the screw drivers and you will probably ruin the fastener clips. The fasteners get damaged pretty good even with the special tool, you might need to replace some or all of them. Ask the parts department if they have them in stock just in case you need some. Most likely they won't my dealership said I had to order them in. Please let me know how it worked out for you because I want to take mine off this spring to clean all the salt and sand out form under there. I want to spray some under coating under there to protect from all the salt for next winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mooch;

The tool you're describing sounds similiar to the one I used to have to remove the door panels off my old 90 GT. If we're talking about the same fasteners they used on door panels, your right they do damage quickly. I'll let u know how it goes should have the parts in 1 - 2 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tore mine apart last week- pulled fenders and rocker covers off to undercoat- the hidden clips are a *****- I cant imagine the shape of the 'proper tool' as it needs to be plastic to prevent scratching paint- I took pics of the clips- theres a little hole up top you can put something in to disengage, but no way to access...I popped mine carefully, and only three were hard- had to tape up the blade of a tiny screwdriver to keep from scratching paint, carefully used tip to push one 'ear' in and the hard ones popped right out. I was really afraid I was going to break something though as they gotta be pulled pretty hard while kinda 'sliding' the cover front to rear(I popped front first on both as front clips start behind fender- easier to pull out) heres a pic of the hidden clips:

edit- BTW- the black crap looks like its chewed up- its not... thats roll-on bedliner that dripped inside the cover- DOH!

aint there a way to put thumbnail images in here...I hate not being able to just see a pic without clicking on it...

·
Registered
403 Posts
mooch said:
There is a special tool used to remove the fasteners. It is like a fork, it has two flat prongs with a large gap in-between them. If you don't have this tool you can use one or two flat head screw drivers. It might be difficult with the screw drivers and you will probably ruin the fastener clips. The fasteners get damaged pretty good even with the special tool, you might need to replace some or all of them. Ask the parts department if they have them in stock just in case you need some. Most likely they won't my dealership said I had to order them in. Please let me know how it worked out for you because I want to take mine off this spring to clean all the salt and sand out form under there. I want to spray some under coating under there to protect from all the salt for next winter.
door panel tool will not even come close to fitting from above, might from below, but if bottom pulled outward the top of rocker cover can rub bottom of steel part...even from below I'm pretty sure door panel tool would almost certainly scratch the paint under there (I fear rust).
I was afraid of scratching paint up- was able to pull top outward enough to get a screwdriver tip onto one end of clip, and it popped right out- maybe if from below, just tape underside of steel part to prevent marring paint? It was fairly cold outin the garage, I think if a bit warmer they all woulda just popped right out by pulling outward and shaking front to rear to rock one end free- most did anyway- all but three of the 16 or so...
If you find the tool ford has, please share! I might pull mine in the summer again to swap for semigloss black.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So that white clip is attached to the skirt? Is that white clip pushed into the body to keep it tight and straight?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn all of a sudden this no longer seems like a 1-2-3 done project. Gonna have to be careful with the hidden clips. thanks guys at least now I know what I'm up against fully.

Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
if you pull bottom pins and fender pins you should be able to pull panel off . carfully from rear to front, wiggle while you work . i had to do this on driver side but will also do again and on passeger side this spring to paint any scratches from rocks and such. the tool you can get from auto store and if you put some duck tape on outside edges of tool this should help with scratching,just kind of cut the tape to fit. vynle

·
Registered
403 Posts
mooch said:
So that white clip is attached to the skirt? Is that white clip pushed into the body to keep it tight and straight?
yeah they snap into notches on the cover...weird that the service manual dont show the part number for 'hidden clips' or the 'suitable tool' aint it? the clips slide downward to remove from panel, but way rocker cover is made you cannot 'lift' to pop it off the clips. I trimmed the ends of bottom flanges on mine too while off- trimmed off part of bottom lip so I could rinse crap out of the corners without having to remove- both mine had 'coldpatch' crap from our fine Ohio winter roads rattling in the back corners- the slots for the bottom pins are way too long- I think the open slot ends invite stuff off the front wheels to get inside...gaps at ends too tight to get the stuff out.

I really wish the bottom lip extended UNDER the rocker seam to help keep splash out of them...would still drain inside the covers just fine...coulda covered all except jack notches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts