Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone is looking to replace their fog/driving light bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar replacement bulb which is p/n 9145ST here is the scoop. I was looking for a pair since I replaced my headlight bulbs with Silverstar. No where could I find so I zipped an e-mail off to Sylvania and here is their response:

Good Afternoon Mr. Tucker,
Thank you for your inquiry. The release of part 9145ST was postponed. Part 9145ST is now scheduled to be released sometime in the fall. The exact release date has not yet been provided. Please feel free to check our website in the coming weeks for an update. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Heather
OSRAM Sylvania
Customer Service

Dave
Mister "T" :eyepoppin

·
Registered
333 Posts
you have this backward..The 9005's fit the Fogs ( I have them) ...the 9008's/H13 bulbs are for the headlights (they don't have them yet)

·
Registered
161 Posts
my friend got replacement H13 headlights off ebay. a brand called NOKYA makes em. pretty good stuff they are.he got hyper bright white lights.he was kinda hoping to buy PIAA cuz they got plasma lights but saw these first.driving at night with the NOKYA's make a world of diference and with the brights on, makes it look like day.kinda curious on how it would look with smoked lights.no more yellow lights from what i can tell.they look good

·
Registered
333 Posts
yeah i know that NOKYA has a set avail and I am going to order those shortly.I was advising him that Silverstar does not have the headlight bulbs avail but do have ones for the fogs...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
So they have them yet?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used the SilverStars in my truck and while they were brighter, they didn't do what the TV adds say they do.

I have used some plasma bulbs, they are bright. If I can't find a decent projector, I will use those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been considering the silver star lights as well... I bought some for my winter beater, and am pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
subzero05 said:
you have this backward..The 9005's fit the Fogs ( I have them) ...the 9008's/H13 bulbs are for the headlights (they don't have them yet)
They don't have them, and they're not going to have them.

The Silverstar line uses a coating on the bulb glass to produce the white/blue color, and federal D.O.T. regulations forbid coating the H13 style bulbs (The Asian made bulbs like the Nokya's are coated, but are not D.O.T. legal) Sylvania isn't going to release non-D.O.T. approved bulbs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bulbs

I have been using just the stock bulbs...just took delivery of my 06 GT. I would like to get something better for the headlight bulbs, once the stock fogs come on, it is a world of difference, but the normal headlights are not
really great at all. So, I am guessing that most people are recommending the Nokya's? I have put the Sylvania's in other cars and it does make a difference. Are the Mustang bulbs easy to change?
Any help is appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sylvania does make an upgrade bulb for the H13 in their Xtravision line. This is an uncoated bulb, and hence normal in color, but they do advertise it as up to 20% brighter than standard bulbs. Part # is H13XV

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought two different sets from ebay which had the same result. While the plug in my Mustang was the same it was not as deep eneough to fit the new bulb and would not lock on. After a few minutes of driving the plug would work its way off. The fog lights work great but a a pain to replace.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I installed the HIDs on mine last weekend and I am thrilled with them - they are great. It's like having "night sun" when they are on hi-beam.

Only trouble is that the fogs look "yellow" compared to the HIDs and I would like to find a white light for those as well. It does not need to be as bright as the HID because the fog lights have a lower aim and wider pattern anyhow. I just want something that is more white so it does not look strange when I have evrything turned on.

subzero05 - are you saying the 9005s you refer too are the "white" rather than yellow? - Thanks much.

·
Registered
767 Posts
jiobao said:
I installed the HIDs on mine last weekend
Which HIDs might the HIDs be that you are referring to? And if I am reading your post correctly, you have both Hi and Low beam with this HID setup? Was it a complete ballast installation or just bulbs?

Did you get one of the McCullough HID conversion kits by chance? If so, what color?

·
Registered
816 Posts
hawgman said:
Which HIDs might the HIDs be that you are referring to? And if I am reading your post correctly, you have both Hi and Low beam with this HID setup? Was it a complete ballast installation or just bulbs?

Did you get one of the McCullough HID conversion kits by chance? If so, what color?
CHeck his signature. Saleen HIDS. :wavey

·
Registered
914 Posts
yep - they are the Saleen's as 2k5GTC mentioned.

It was a complete kit with ballasts for each side - I had to replace the entire headlamp assemblies and remove the front fascia to install them - a lot of work, more time consuming than actually complicated - the Saleen kit is nicely put together except the installation instructions are pretty pathetic - there was a lot to just figure out on my own. Fortunately the parts were well designed and really fit into the car nicely.

They are a blueish-white color, but not too much toward the blue, and now the fogs (as I mentioned) look a little funky being more yellow - for those a simple blub change is good enough as long as they are more white and better match the HIDs.

hawgman said:

·
Registered
767 Posts
jiobao said:
yep - they are the Saleen's as 2k5GTC mentioned.
Nice kit.. but WOW:happyhapp . $1100 will buy alot of replacement bulbs
jiobao said:
the Saleen kit is nicely put together except the installation instructions are pretty pathetic - there was a lot to just figure out on my own.
That seems to be a common thing with everything I have read about Saleen, or have ever purchased from them. They need one less engineer and one more document writer. Would hate to think what kind of nightmare their SC install book is.

·
Registered
767 Posts
2k5GTC said:
CHeck his signature. Saleen HIDS. :wavey
Yup, you're right. Had a brief boute with cranial rectumitas

·
Registered
914 Posts
LOL! - Ironcially, I run a technical documentation company that writes user's guides for other companies. I am going to send Saleen my card. I agree with you about the SC install book - that must be frightening to be sure.

Also, Saleen is about 4 miles from my office so I can save on shipping and time by just ordering will call and then picking things up on my lunch break. Well - money is one thing I have - time to play with it more is not. :sosad:

But when I was driving out in some pretty remote area to visit the brother-in-law - nice twisty mountain roads - the stock headlights just sucked.

hawgman said:
Nice kit.. but WOW:happyhapp . $1100 will buy alot of replacement bulbs
That seems to be a common thing with everything I have read about Saleen, or have ever purchased from them. They need one less engineer and one more document writer. Would hate to think what kind of nightmare their SC install book is.

·
Registered
417 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.