Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 GT with the 4.6 2v engine and stock exhaust manifolds. I am installing O/R H-pipe on it and I am having trouble with the passenger side exhaust manifold. The starter is in the way and I can get the bottom bolt of the starter undone, but the top starter bolt is hidden from view. So I have been attempting to remove my stock h-pipe with the starter attached. If any of you have worked on a 97 GT before, you will know that the passenger side manifold is ALOT harder to get to, I removed the bolts on the driver side in 1 minute, not hard at all, but my questions are.....
1. Do i need to remove the starter to get the top bolt off on the passenger side because it is such a tight fit.
2. If not, what tools can I use to get the bolt off, it sits up MUCH higher than the driver side.

G

·
I don't know if it's any different. But on my 2002 I used a series of extensions with a swivel to get them all off. Yes it was a huge pain in the rear. But it just took some time and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah a pair of 6 inch extensions and a swivel joint will do the trick. Gotta feel around up there in the blindspot with your fingers to find the bolt but it's there and reachable with the right stuff. No need to drop the starter motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, I appreciate your help. I sure was a b****. I used two 6 inch extensions and a swivel joint, that O2 sensor was in the way too so I had to remove it. But alot of sweating and cursing screwed that dang thang right out, haha. It 9:00 p.m now and I am about to bolt the h-pipe up. One more question though, If I run the mil eliminators on the exhaust port, do you think that it will still throw a failed code to the computer the next time I get it inspected?? For what Ive heard, the mil's pass a "good" code to the computer, they dont do the sniffer test here, its just computer. Do you know if the mil's will pass my car on inspection (computer wise)?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah man, it'll pass the code check as long as your mechanic doesn't check for the cats actually being there you'll be fine. The guy that does mine checks for the cats and that's in Davidson County at a garage owned by a golf buddy of my father in law's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mana4Real said:
I don't know if it's any different. But on my 2002 I used a series of extensions with a swivel to get them all off. Yes it was a huge pain in the rear. But it just took some time and a lot of patience.
I did the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.