Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for a simple tire swap. Pirellis P-Zeros are pretty worn so had a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's to get put on. While dismounting my tire from the wheel, the dealership's machine broke and scratched by Brembo wheel. Dealer wanted to sublet the rest of the install out to Big-O tires!

So now, I have to wait for new wheel to come in and the part that broke on their machine to get my tires put on. Something so simple that should not have taken more than an hour is now taking a week and a half...FML with this car, my luck has been on par with the Kennedy's.

PS. I have a brand new JLT catch can (black) for sale. I only opened the box, it has not been on the car at all..$100-free shipping.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
that sucks! are they taking care of you for the cost of the wheel?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Man sorry to hear about the mishap
I've got the DW's and they are a great tire for the money

they have plenty of grip and I'll likely replace them with another set when the time comes for new shoes.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Went in for a simple tire swap. Pirellis P-Zeros are pretty worn so had a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's to get put on.
Ouch, sorry to hear about the scratched wheel.

But damn, you need new tires already... you got my curiosity going... are you just having alot of fun with the car, racking up alot of miles, or are the tires just s**t?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol wow...

(yes, dealer is paying for the wheel they scratched)

I still think they should give me a discount on the install considering the inconvenience. zilla, thanks for the review on the DW's. tirerack had good things to say about them.

412horses, I actually drive very conservatively. no burnouts no powerslides. I just wanted to get these new tires while I have the time and get it over with. I have also rotated them every 4k. I could maybe get 2-3k more out out of them but fronts are at 3/32 and rears at 4/32. I don't want to risk wearing them any more. tires have 12,500 on em.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
lol wow...

(yes, dealer is paying for the wheel they scratched)

I still think they should give me a discount on the install considering the inconvenience. zilla, thanks for the review on the DW's. tirerack had good things to say about them.

412horses, I actually drive very conservatively. no burnouts no powerslides. I just wanted to get these new tires while I have the time and get it over with. I have also rotated them every 4k. I could maybe get 2-3k more out out of them but fronts are at 3/32 and rears at 4/32. I don't want to risk wearing them any more. tires have 12,500 on em.
Damn, I thought that tire was rated for 40,000, but it they are 2-3K away from a state where you feel they need to be replaced at 12,500 that's not too impressive. I've always had such good luck with Michelins that I almost swapped the Perellis out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus before I even took delivery, but then thought I'd give the Perellis a chance. Sounds like I'll probably be riding on those Michelins sooner than later after all, LOL.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
If they tried to charge me labor I would ? it. I know you have to pay for the tires, but NOT the rim and I'd try to get them to do the install for free. how long were you without your car? We all have bad days so you don't want to get mean, but, they owe you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Damn, I thought that tire was rated for 40,000, but it they are 2-3K away from a state where you feel they need to be replaced at 12,500 that's not too impressive. I've always had such good luck with Michelins that I almost swapped the Perellis out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus before I even took delivery, but then thought I'd give the Perellis a chance. Sounds like I'll probably be riding on those Michelins sooner than later after all, LOL.
It's worth pointing out that the Brembo cars come with much more aggressive summer tires(regular P Zeros) and consequently, they don't last very long. They're different than the normal P Zero Neros that you have on your car. I rotated my Neros this weekend, and I imagine I'll be able to get at least 30k out of them, if not 40k.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hmm...wierd...I've got 15,600 on my Pirellis and they're still good. Not even close to needing a change....

sorry about the trouble you're having...sux!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's worth pointing out that the Brembo cars come with much more aggressive summer tires(regular P Zeros) and consequently, they don't last very long. They're different than the normal P Zero Neros that you have on your car. I rotated my Neros this weekend, and I imagine I'll be able to get at least 30k out of them, if not 40k.
Aren't the Brembo wheels and/or tires a different size? If so, I'm assuming that you had to do a side to side rotation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No brembo's are 255 all around.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think we are talking about two different tires. If you look at Tire Rack reviews of the Pirelli PZero (Max Perf Summer Tire) all of the ratings have consistently pointed out low tread life as the main downfall to this tire. It is very sticky and grips well but on the flip side it all so wears extremely fast and at $360/tire, spending $1,300 every 12-15k miles is ludicrous IMO. If I can get 20k out of the Conti DW's, I will be happy. That is roughly 2 years for me.

If they tried to charge me labor I would ? it. I know you have to pay for the tires, but NOT the rim and I'd try to get them to do the install for free. how long were you without your car? We all have bad days so you don't want to get mean, but, they owe you.
They seemed to balk at my request for the free install. They seem to think I should be appreciative for them covering the cost of the wheel replacement ($500 they said?). In my opinion, that is a given. If they want to keep me as a customer, they need to go the extra mile. They claimed that they already go out of there way to help me usually. I have always made demands at that dealership, whether it is getting to talk to the techs to verify what was done to my car, making them let me watch the tech during the install with my own eyes, and also not letting the 16-18 year old punk kid porters drive my car. The minute I roll up these kids are drooling and I can tell they are aching to start lining the inside with plastic and start her up. I am quick to c***block them and tell the service adviser to put up a sign that says only the technician doing the work is allowed to drive it. Supposedly the dealership is factoring this in to their reasoning for not budging on the install price. We will see next week.

Aren't the Brembo wheels and/or tires a different size? If so, I'm assuming that you had to do a side to side rotation.
The brembo tires are 255/40/19 all around. However, they are asymmetric so you cannot swap side to side; just front to back.

Also, I want to point out that I had them put the old tires back on my car so my car is not sitting at the dealership. I am still driving it as I left the new tires with them and will just go next week to get them put on. Scratching a wheel is not exactly grounds for me not being able to drive the car anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scratched wheel during flat repair.

I had my first flat tire only a couple months after receiving my car. The ford dealership scratched the wheel while removing the tire. They replaced it but it took a couple weeks.

I now have 11000 miles on my car, and it will be time for a new set of rear tires very soon. I guess I should have rotated at 5-6K.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
hmm...wierd...I've got 15,600 on my Pirellis and they're still good. Not even close to needing a change....

sorry about the trouble you're having...sux!
Mine look pretty damn close to new at 10K... and I get on it.

I rotate every 5-7K when I change my oil.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about that. :winks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wouldn't all you Canadians love to have the bottom of your mustang encased with sheet metal like the above picture. Think of the salt you wouldn't have to clean off the undercarriage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
wowwwwwww... how is it still standing up in the second picture if the lift is down.. i guess they forgot is was a rear mounted motor, i think..
The lift is still up.

Believe it or not, this was MY car... Happened November 06. I gave them the owner's manual and told them to observe the proper jacking points...

Did they listen? No! They lifted it at the wrong set of points, and removed the front wheels. Suddenly it became tail heavy and came smashing down. Inches from the tech working on the rear.

As it rested (in a vertical fashion), they tied a winch to the front and began lowering the lift. Suddenly the front end broke loose and smashed into the mechanics tool chests. Hence the front end damage...

The tire store (owned by a national tire manufacturer) ended up buying the car! They were fair and settled quickly. Lesson learned (by me and them)...

More pics here... New Page 1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts