Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an auto 96 gt. What are the stock shift points set at at wot? A buddy of mine has a 94 5.0 auto and it shifts at best at about 4.9k.. Mine shifts at about 100rpm past redline..

I'm starting to think that the previous owner had a chip or tune done to the car as it also pings horribly on low octane gas but doesn't at all with premium..

Also, I want to physically check to see if my computer is chipped, but I don't know where the computer is. I thought it was behind the right side of the passenger's kick plate thing.. I popped that off and I didn't see much.. Am I looking for the wrong thing maybe?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i thought the pcm was in the passenger side kick panel. i think on those cars its tucked up there pretty good, even after taking the panel off you have to look up. and yea it sounds like your car is chipped, becasue i dont think any factory setting would have it shift past redline and a GT mustang is set for regular 87 octane. i believe your car will have higher shift points than the 5.0 because you have the higher revving engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's indeed chipped, will I be able to tell? Or would I have to take the casing off the pcm or something to find anything?

Is it obvious or what?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If there was ever a chip installed on the car, the white caulk like stuff on the connectors of the ECU will be wiped off. Just look at the connectors for any scratches and the lack of the white stuff there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlueStreak03 said:
If there was ever a chip installed on the car, the white caulk like stuff on the connectors of the ECU will be wiped off. Just look at the connectors for any scratches and the lack of the white stuff there.
OK, theecu is indeed there. :rolleyes:

But, the connectors you're talking about is it the bigass black one that's like 4" wide? There are also 4 other connectors laying in front of the ecu that are all about 1" wide. My neck was injured not too long ago and I can't move my neck to the right more than 10* so it's a bit difficult for me to work in there.

There was no visible white stuff on or around any of those connectors I mentioned. If I want to check what chip might be installed, do I open the ecu and it will show?

thanks for the noob stuff. It's the first computered car that I'm working with here..

·
Registered
514 Posts
4.9k sounds low to me, my 94 gt auto shifted at 5200 rpm

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Mine set to shift at 5800 in Superchip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.