Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headscratch:Hi. I have a 1983 gt convertable with the original single exhaust system. Need to change it anyway so i thought i would upgrade it to a dual exhaust setup. So far i have a bbk h pipe and a set of factory headers. What else do i need besides a double hump crossmember and mufflers? Is this swap to hard to do? Or should i take it to a muffler shop to do. Thanks. Steve

·
Registered
421 Posts
I put duels on my 79 using an 86-93 kit from jegs. It worked fine, but I had a shop do it. However my dad has an 83 convertable and we did the same thing, but they said it wouldnt fit due to a break line. I didnt look under the car so I am not sure about the spacing, but at most you would need to relocate the break line. So, it is possible and it will fit, but it might need some modifications.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
taking it to a shop would be easier.but you can bolt on the headers and the h-pipe,it is not a bad job.then just let the shop install some mufflers and tailpipes.this will save you some money.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You need that double hump crossmember and that should be it. Some minor tweaking of undercarriage items like lines for brakes and fuel, and you could do this in the driveway. It'd be a hassle but you'd save labor charges, which I'm guessing could be between $60-$100.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do it yourself....not as bad as you may think, and you know it's getting done right.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The flexible brake hose going from the brake line on the frame to the brake lone on the rear axle assembly is right where the passenger tailpipe will be routed. The line on the chassis and the hose was relocated to the center of the axle assembly when dual exhaust was installed from the factory ('85 4V, late '85 CFI).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
the rear brake hose will get in the way of a dual exhaust set up, you can solve this by moving the upper mounting point of the hose outboard about two inches. the double-hump crossmember is easy to find at a wrecking yard. you should bolt the headers and the h-pipe in yourself and just pay a shop to do the rest, find one with a good reputation and you'll find the quality is much better than anything most people can do. my shop even warratied mine for three years

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats what i will do. Install the:bigthumbsup headers,double hump crossmember and h-pipe myself and then think about tail pipes. Thanks everyone for your advice. We will see what happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.