Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89' gt. and im giong to put a single turbo kit on it. and was wondering any problems anyone has had. and about tuneing. my buddy tunes but doesnt know which direction to shoot me to. i could get a chip for my stock pcm? or flash the computer. or a whole new aem. or do most get maf calibrated for fuel injectors and run without a tune? i want to do it right which if it comes down to it id trailor it to get it tuned on a dyno. also, what do most do, get a bigger maf meter, or do a blow through? with being said. it will be done on a fresh 347 stroker built specifically for a turbo. any help would be appretiated. first turbo project!!! :hihi: alot to learn and i do have buddys with turbocharged camaros, trans am, fiero, and supra that i can go to for some questions.overall i have done alot of research and i kno what im getting into and what needs to be done. but i have no experiance in tuneing efi so its pretty exciteing and overwelming at first. thanks!! much appreciated to all help.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
You need supporting fuel system. that would be 42-55# injectors depending on boost. High boost you would need a cooler (innercooler, meth, e85) (e85 would require more like 60# inj) You need a MAF I prefer PMAS to match the inj. This makes for easier to get on trailer since it will run. You can tune it yourself with a moates quarter horse, binary editor, and a laptop. Thats if you want to take weeks to learn the setup. Other wise a tuner can tune it buy flashing the ecm and installing a chip (1,2,4,8 bank) If you are doing low boost you may get by with a FMU and no tune with 24# inj and matching MAF. I do not use this way. Either way you would need a Walbro gss340 pump (255lph high pressure) if you exceed 500 hp you will ruin your block and need to change the fuel lines and rails and add an even bigger pump. Your best bet for a 347 is to get the correct H/C/I and you will already have the block maxed unless you get an aftermarket like Dart or Sportsman. We need to know your hp goal, and $$$$ and whether is street or strip or both, before we can fully help.

BTW your buddy would know this if he had enough knowledge tuning. Do not let him work on your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it doesnt have to be a 347. i could just build a nice 306 and id love to street/ strip. low boost and max boost in the low to mid 20's. if possible with a stock 302 block. i heard around 500hp they split. id buy everything right to do it. forged pistons rods, new crank, roller rockers blah blah. and a custom cam. then search forums to see which heads/ cam/ intake would be good with a turbo. thats the big goal! id LOVE for it to be around 600hp. what do you think needs to be done exactly for a reliable 600hp street driven car.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
thats what junky is saying, with that kind of boost/hp you will need an aftermarket block. does not matter if its a 302 or 347, stock block will be the weak link.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You're on the right track but with the stock block you're limited. If you want to reliable hit 600+ HP you will need an aftermarket block. Dart Machinery has multiple blocks that can hold 600. The Dart SHP block is rated at 600 HP for less than 2k$ if I recall. Theres all sorts of options and you can get a fully assembled short block with new pistons, rods and crank from them also if you want to go that way. All dependant on what you want. I suggest you search their site.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Plenty of choices! :bigthumbsup The 351 is heavier but will hold a 150hp more than the 302. BY the time you buy all the parts for a stroker you will have $6k easy. Make it a 351 stroker and you ll be into the $8k range. If you use 302 parts on a 351 you pretty much have a 302. If it were me I would dump $8k into a 347 before a 427. The Dart block is good for like 1k hp. the 351 is good to 650-700. But that also leaves the option for a few hundred more to use a Dart 351. Your best bet is to set a hp goal, and then decide whether you will need room to grow. We also need to know your funds $$$.

You can only boost a 302 to about 10-12#. If you add aluminum heads and a good boost cam you are looking at about $5k if you do it yourself. That will also be playing with fire on a factory block.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
One of the biggest decisions is the ultimate goal so be sure where you wanna go with this. A 600 rwhp car is nothing to laugh at and is very fast but it also takes plenty of time and money to build this motor plus other things like tranny and suspension.

My good friend has a 363 single turbo and that car is night and day from my 347 N/A stroker. He has a little over 600 to the tire only a mid-level boost and I am pushing 400 and they are 2 different animals all together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts