Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, to get the Sirius radio working in a base 2012 GT do you need extra parts and a new antenna or do you just call up Sirius and activate your radio....? Reading the Mustang book last night I could not figure this one out...... Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
Did you get that option when you bought the car? It should have came with a 6 month complimentary subscription.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had this issue, the dealer is suppose to turn it on, mine did not work the whole time. Finally I called Siruis and had them send another signal, it has worked since and they gave me my 6 month from that date forward. I would say park in an open space and call them, learn how to get the code or make sure you have i before you call. I got antenna fault on the screen. It is all working well now.

·
Banned
8,740 Posts
The OP is talking about a base car.

There isn't an antenna. The radio is set up for Sirius, but you need a receiver to get the signal. At least that's what I was told by Ford.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OP is talking about a base car.

There isn't an antenna. The radio is set up for Sirius, but you need a receiver to get the signal. At least that's what I was told by Ford.
Thanks guys, I guess I need to add something to the radio and put another antenna on the car if I want to get Sirius radio....? I thought it would be easy with the base car to just call them up and sign up for a year. Looks like I have to work for it and install some extra stuff like a receiver module on the radio and another antenna....? Maybe I'll just stick with regular radio...? I've had several cars with Sirius/Xm and I really don't like their customer service or their payment terms..... They have "auto renewed" me several times for cars I did not even own anymore and it's a big hassle to try to get them to not charge my credit card....... I love the radio service but can not stand their business model as it is very customer "unfriendly" regarding billing and phone contact. Regards

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah... I found this out also! haha, you can always use pandora orother internet radio for free on a smartphone and plug it into the auxiliary jack :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
subscribe--all they want is your money--I listen to all local stations--I have 13 to choose from

·
Registered
334 Posts
As a positive note the base radio really picks up stations very well. I live in the mountains and the reception blows away my other 3 cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It takes about $400 worth of module and antenna from Ford to enable the sat button. They get the kit from the supplier that reman's all the radios.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The upside is at least you don't have a Sirius turd on your trunklid. :bigthumbsup

And right you are, Sirius customer service is complete sh-- unless you've got a spare 45 minutes to an hour or so. And that's after you track down the latest online secret 800 number that is "faster" than what's on the statements. And assuming they are even there, often not when you are out on the road. And if you have a technical issue, forget about it.

If it weren't for hands-free calling and turn-by-turn directions I can make using SYNC I'd fill the hole, I'm not even using Sirius now during the free period, with iPod who needs it? For each channel they play about 10 songs over and over... it's just like top 40 except highly segmented. Some of the channels were even reverting to djs (PLURAL) right before I canceled.

Satellite radio, good idea, disasteriously executed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I heard from the guys at speed merchants that the Sirius equipment weighs like a pig. Has anyone removed it?
I store my car during the winter and only drive it once a week during the summer however I do make about 10 long trips a year with it and the annual fees for Sirius radio are a waste for me
Let me know if you have removed yours and how difficult it was.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I like Sirus or XM, & agree its a PIA to cancel (canceled XM in the old car), but I like no commercials when I'm listening to tunes. I travel a lot around the So Cal area every month & it works great. I listen to lots of different music, alternative, Blues, classic rock, grunge, Jazz, & occasionally Metal.

I can understand not wanting it if you mostly drive short distances. The IPOD works great, but in 5 years you'll be listening to mostly the same stuff, or 10 commercials for every 3 tunes.

The kit doesn't weigh or cost much.

Amazon.com: COMPLETE Sirius Satellite Package for FORD Plus iPod or Aux Audio Input: Electronics

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm in Europe so I can't use it anyway. I wish I would have had the opportunity to have a Sirius delete option. Oh well, I'll probably leave the antenna just cause I don't want the hassle of ripping it off and fill/paint.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I also have a base GT and rather than spend the money on the dealer installing Sirius I just used my car kit from my old Sirius receiver.

It worked perfect and took about 15 min to install.I picked up a new starmate receiver and replaced the old stream jockey that I've had since the beginning of Sirius radio.

I like the fact that everything is portable and I can remove the whole system and take it out of the car if I want to.

you can see how easy the install is on this video:bigthumbsup

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Car Kit Installation | WatchDoit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts