Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a site suggestion I would like to discuss. No big deal just had something I was going to post that is random and not really related to one model year subform. So it is hard to post in one of those general discussions and was like we need a general discussion area for the site. I am stealing the idea from a Boss 302 forum I am a member of who has one. haha Anyway is there any way to create a general discussion area not just under each model year subheading like we have, but more like a site general discussion area for all members of all year ranges to talk about random things?

Reactions: B.Cooper

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a site suggestion I would like to discuss. No big deal just had something I was going to post that is random and not really related to one model year subform. So it is hard to post in one of those general discussions and was like we need a general discussion area for the site. I am stealing the idea from a Boss 302 forum I am a member of who has one. haha Anyway is there any way to create a general discussion area not just under each model year subheading like we have, but more like a site general discussion area for all members of all year ranges to talk about random things?
Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering what the random thing was that you were going to post. And I don't think I'm alone in that. Was it about.....well, you know who. The guy who makes all the really weird posts? I was going to put something in about him as well. You go first. I don't want to make him mad at me. But I'll back you up.

Or is it about your old Boss. No, that would have a category. Geez....what could it be? You're killin' me.

All the best. :wink:

·
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep tonight wondering what the random thing was that you were going to post. And I don't think I'm alone in that. Was it about.....well, you know who. The guy who makes all the really weird posts? I was going to put something in about him as well. You go first. I don't want to make him mad at me. But I'll back you up.

Or is it about your old Boss. No, that would have a category. Geez....what could it be? You're killin' me.

All the best. :wink:
Who's the guy now who currently makes all the weird posts? I knew there was somebody that said nos or boost would fix problems or something like that a while back, but haven't seen that in a while. haha

Nah no big topic just small talk. Which my point was there was no place to really do small talk that is non Mustang related on this site. Like I was going to post talking about my car considerations for my next fun car and see if anybody has what I am considering at the moment. Many members I find have other cool cars other than their Mustang on this site.

Not to leave suspense although that might be funny to do to you at this moment, but I won't do that I don't guess. Also not to derail this thread, but the car I am considering is the Focus RS or gaspppp the semi dark side with the Type R as I can't bring myself to the 56K for a new GT350 and am hesitant about buying a used GT350.

haha :wink:

Reactions: UUUd444

·
Administrator
13,237 Posts
Don`t we already have sections like that, known as off topic?

·
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don`t we already have sections like that, known as off topic?
We have general discussion and off topic areas under each sub heading for the model year, but not a general off topic or general discussion for just random topics like where do I post the above random topic of anybody have feedback on a Focus RS or Type R?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Not to leave suspense although that might be funny to do to you at this moment, but I won't do that I don't guess. Also not to derail this thread, but the car I am considering is the Focus RS or gaspppp the semi dark side with the Type R as I can't bring myself to the 56K for a new GT350 and am hesitant about buying a used GT350.

haha :wink:
Thanks for the update. Now I can relax!

The time between cars is pretty great, isn't it? Test drives and lots of heavy analyzing and all that. Hard not to love it (and maybe overthink it a bit, if you're me). Sounds like you might be mentally ready to try something really different. Always good to expand one's horizons and experience new things, of so 'they' say.

Have you driven the Focus or Honda yet? (Assuming Honda, not VW Golf R) If not, you have to give it a go. Very different from the Boss, that's for sure. My winter car is a Subaru STi hatch with a bunch of odds and ends done. About 350 HP and AWD, like the Focus. A totally different and not at all unpleasant experience. Think more go cart. I sometimes drive it on a non-rain day in the summer just because I miss it. The Honda is getting pretty rave reviews as well. With a hundred extra HP and AWD it would be a world beater. Maybe that's the 2020? Hope so.

I envy you your search. Oh, and since you are probably in test drive mode, don't turn down the chance to have a go with an Audi TT RS. While my brother was looking we gave a well modified one a try and it was downright frightening how small and fast it was. Talk about culture shock. So much to choose from. You are one fortunate chap, indeed.

Best wishes for you on your quest.

·
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the Fun Zone? Does that count?
If this suggestion doesn't gain traction that was my thought. Just wanted to post in the suggestions my suggestion first to give it a try. I really like the general discussion section over on one of the other forums I am a member of.

Thanks for the update. Now I can relax!

The time between cars is pretty great, isn't it? Test drives and lots of heavy analyzing and all that. Hard not to love it (and maybe overthink it a bit, if you're me). Sounds like you might be mentally ready to try something really different. Always good to expand one's horizons and experience new things, of so 'they' say.

Have you driven the Focus or Honda yet? (Assuming Honda, not VW Golf R) If not, you have to give it a go. Very different from the Boss, that's for sure. My winter car is a Subaru STi hatch with a bunch of odds and ends done. About 350 HP and AWD, like the Focus. A totally different and not at all unpleasant experience. Think more go cart. I sometimes drive it on a non-rain day in the summer just because I miss it. The Honda is getting pretty rave reviews as well. With a hundred extra HP and AWD it would be a world beater. Maybe that's the 2020? Hope so.

I envy you your search. Oh, and since you are probably in test drive mode, don't turn down the chance to have a go with an Audi TT RS. While my brother was looking we gave a well modified one a try and it was downright frightening how small and fast it was. Talk about culture shock. So much to choose from. You are one fortunate chap, indeed.

Best wishes for you on your quest.
Nice you own a STI? That keeps coming off and on my consideration list actually. Maybe you can provide some details to either make it stick on the list or stay off for good. haha To answer your question no test drives have been done yet on Focus RS or (yes the civic) Type R as no dealers will let you test drive until you discuss and agree on numbers. I kinda of understand their portion, but I am for sure struggling to do that as I have never bought a car or worked numbers without first test driving to see if I like it. haha Seems like a very odd approach for me to pretty much commit to buy then test drive. haha I think that reason alone is why I haven't bought a car yet and am stuck in research and for lack of better words limbo mode if you will as I can't make myself commit to one or the other because I don't know the differences in driving feel or all that. It is def making it hard, because it is making me consider another Mustang and I really want to try something new I think for a bit. I of course will keep my GT if I get something other than a Mustang as I can't ever be without a Mustang. Been there tried that and it NEVER works. I got to have my Mustang! haha :smile:

Had a bad experience the other day with a local Honda dealer over a Type R which was so bad it might have made me knock the Type R off my consideration list as dirty as they were. I sort of have bitter thinking with Honda at the moment which I keep telling myself isn't fare as just because one Honda dealer is shady and rude that doesn't mean they all are or that Honda is bad. Also tell myself there are bad Ford dealers out their and I haven't let that steer me away from Ford. Anyway enough of that as I have discussed it enough over on another site for Type R people.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nice you own a STI? That keeps coming off and on my consideration list actually. Maybe you can provide some details to either make it stick on the list or stay off for good. haha To answer your question no test drives have been done yet on Focus RS or (yes the civic) Type R as no dealers will let you test drive until you discuss and agree on numbers. I kinda of understand their portion, but I am for sure struggling to do that as I have never bought a car or worked numbers without first test driving to see if I like it. haha Seems like a very odd approach for me to pretty much commit to buy then test drive. haha I think that reason alone is why I haven't bought a car yet and am stuck in research and for lack of better words limbo mode if you will as I can't make myself commit to one or the other because I don't know the differences in driving feel or all that. It is def making it hard, because it is making me consider another Mustang and I really want to try something new I think for a bit. I of course will keep my GT if I get something other than a Mustang as I can't ever be without a Mustang. Been there tried that and it NEVER works. I got to have my Mustang! haha :smile:
LOL....buy a car without a test drive... I have had dealers try that thing here, too. What a joke. But, it's a great marketing tool for them. Sales courses always say try to get any sort of commitment from a buyer. Get him nodding 'yes' and you're almost there. I'm with you. NEVER!

I usually let them give the spiel and them politely tell them that I'll give them a copy of my DL so I won't make off with the car. And, if you don't mind, I will drive it alone with just my wife so that we can discus the car honestly without offending any sales person who could overhear. If that doesn't fly a request to speak to the sales manager will do wonders. The last thing they want is for you to do exactly what you are saying; go elsewhere.

As to the Subaru, well, it's a really great car but I would have a hard time buying a new one. They are very different from the Mustang, of course. Where the mustang makes assorted (but not overly many, in my case) drivetrain noises the Subaru makes more rattles and interior plastic on plastic sounds. I'm not a fan of those. Not a fan of the other, just less bothersome to me. The Subaru has not really changed much in recent years and has perhaps not kept up to what's out there. Also, the hatch is not made anymore and the coupe, with it's huge wing, is a bit 'Oh, look at that old dude trying to pretend he's young again.' They are pretty quick, though. My STi was a bit quicker than my mustang up to about 3rd or 4th gear before the mustang got supercharged. Pretty useful around town. And for winters the Subaru AWD is perhaps the best out there.

Both the Focus and the Civic are based on more entry level cars. You have to be okay with some extra plastic and overall cheaper feeling parts. The interiors are beautiful at a glance with great looking seats and all but it's still sharing lots of parts with their less optioned models. After awhile I really started to notice this in my Subaru. The mustang feels more solid and luxurious if you can believe that.

If you are just looking for a fun car and not a race car you may want to consider something like what a golf buddy of mine did last year. He picked up a few year old BMW 6 series convertible to cruise around in for summer only here. Low mileage and looked brand new. I think he paid about 25K or so Canadian so say under 20 US $. It was still on last bit of warranty and drives like a dream. So not like a mustang, though. Food for thought, anyway. I have had Porsche and Mercedes and hated the parts price and the fact that I didn't feel like I could do the work confidently enough. Mustangs are great for dabblers and easy to work on so that's where I'm at now. If you stay stock, the German cars are darn reliable and tight to drive.

Anyway, you'll find the one. Just hate that you have to deal with those guys at the dealership. I wish it were not so.

Good luck and all the best to you.

·
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL....buy a car without a test drive... I have had dealers try that thing here, too. What a joke. But, it's a great marketing tool for them. Sales courses always say try to get any sort of commitment from a buyer. Get him nodding 'yes' and you're almost there. I'm with you. NEVER!

I usually let them give the spiel and them politely tell them that I'll give them a copy of my DL so I won't make off with the car. And, if you don't mind, I will drive it alone with just my wife so that we can discus the car honestly without offending any sales person who could overhear. If that doesn't fly a request to speak to the sales manager will do wonders. The last thing they want is for you to do exactly what you are saying; go elsewhere.

As to the Subaru, well, it's a really great car but I would have a hard time buying a new one. They are very different from the Mustang, of course. Where the mustang makes assorted (but not overly many, in my case) drivetrain noises the Subaru makes more rattles and interior plastic on plastic sounds. I'm not a fan of those. Not a fan of the other, just less bothersome to me. The Subaru has not really changed much in recent years and has perhaps not kept up to what's out there. Also, the hatch is not made anymore and the coupe, with it's huge wing, is a bit 'Oh, look at that old dude trying to pretend he's young again.' They are pretty quick, though. My STi was a bit quicker than my mustang up to about 3rd or 4th gear before the mustang got supercharged. Pretty useful around town. And for winters the Subaru AWD is perhaps the best out there.

Both the Focus and the Civic are based on more entry level cars. You have to be okay with some extra plastic and overall cheaper feeling parts. The interiors are beautiful at a glance with great looking seats and all but it's still sharing lots of parts with their less optioned models. After awhile I really started to notice this in my Subaru. The mustang feels more solid and luxurious if you can believe that.

If you are just looking for a fun car and not a race car you may want to consider something like what a golf buddy of mine did last year. He picked up a few year old BMW 6 series convertible to cruise around in for summer only here. Low mileage and looked brand new. I think he paid about 25K or so Canadian so say under 20 US $. It was still on last bit of warranty and drives like a dream. So not like a mustang, though. Food for thought, anyway. I have had Porsche and Mercedes and hated the parts price and the fact that I didn't feel like I could do the work confidently enough. Mustangs are great for dabblers and easy to work on so that's where I'm at now. If you stay stock, the German cars are darn reliable and tight to drive.

Anyway, you'll find the one. Just hate that you have to deal with those guys at the dealership. I wish it were not so.

Good luck and all the best to you.
I normally don't have problems with test drives, but if I ever do have a issue I do just like you said. Ask for a sales manager or the like and say look I have intent to buy, but I must like it first and want to drive it to see. I actually don't have a issue going with a salesperson as I like for them to get their little sales spill out of the way so when we get back if I like it we can get to the numbers part quicker as lets be honest 1. you must like the car, but just as big 2. it must be the right numbers (deal). I have owned many cars over the years and I have never bought or committed to one prior to driving. So this gotta semi commit before test driving approach on the Type R and RS is really got me scratching my head as 1. how do I compare them and 2. how do I know if I like them? I would like to drive both and make my call, but that seems to be very unlikely as there aren't any around me used and none of the dealers let anybody drive them new. That is not just me, but statements across the respective forums for those cars as normal protocol for the dealers. They don't want miles on a car they say may be sold to a collector. I get that, but at the same time it is why myself and maybe others are taking longer to make that purchase. haha I think if I could drive both I would know which I like and may have already bought one or the other. Not being able to do that keeps the more expensive GT350 in the running. haha

Thanks for the info on the STI. That keeps it in the grey area with those pros/cons.

I have tried MB with a AMG SLK and it was awesome, but just not what I was looking for and man did you hit the nail on the head as everything was expensive for that car when it came to parts and service. haha I have heard BMW is the same way from people I know who own them. That is honestly what steers me away from german cars and why the Cayman S never seems to stay on my radar long when I was comparing and considering a GT350, GT500, and a Cayman S. I put that consideration on hold as I really think and am banking on both the GT350 and GT500 market taking a decent hit when the new GT500 comes out like the Boss 302 market did when the GT350 came out. So my next car like the Focus RS or Type R or really whatever it is in that type of as you called it entry level category, but what I consider a DD potential category is more of a hold me off until I get the GT350, GT500, Cayman S or the like. If I like the car I get next and resale isn't amazing for whatever reason than I wait longer to buy the next car and then keep the car as a DD to save my GT350 or the like on some miles and still have a fun car to drive for both the DD and weekend/fun car. haha Well I may be dreaming here, but my wife isn't here to wake me up so I will keep dreaming for the moment. hahaha :wink:

I see lots of car research and consideration in my near future, but I gotta admit it is fun and well a great problem to be in/have, right? It could be far worse things for sure. haha

Reactions: UUUd444
1 - 10 of 10 Posts