Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not forums in general. Always wanted to start a build thread, now I can.

So, Quick about me; I'm late fifties, have had a career in the automotive industry for most of my life, and I've been an avid motorcycle rider also for most of my life. Currently ride an Indian Chieftain. I've always wanted a fun car, but was never in the position to spend the money and time. I also think a little differently from many.

In my younger years, eveyone was ogling the Mustang GT's and 5.0LX's while I thought the Turbocharged SVT was really cool. Right around that time frame, the Buick turbo Grand Nationals were heroes, the T-bird turbo coupe, followed by the Supercoupe. To be honest, a friend of my dad's built a pinto back in the early '70's with a turbo 2.3, draw through, carburated... Terrible car, but it was dangerously fast once you got past the lag. I say dangerously, because, well, it was a Pinto.

Fast forward. Ford put their engineering team into working with boosted engines, in theory to replace V-8's, and thankfully,, figured out how to build a decent bottom end to do this.

Where does this bring me?
Project scope:
Take a base v-6 S550 Mustang and make a fun car out of it. No, it won't compete with a Mach 1 or Shelby. I just want a fun car that I will enjoy. I'm no racer. I do enjoy some spirited driving and have the Blue Ridge Parkway as well as lots of twisty Virginia rural roads to play on. In the process, I plan on learning a bit about tuning the car and tweaking it to suit my desires.

Base pictures to follow.

Okay, Clean used 2017 V6 in Oxford white. 38K miles, well taken care of. Starter kit.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel Tire

So, I ordered 19x10 & 19x9 silver Forgestar F14's from the usual place. What arrived was a set of silver 19x10's and a set of Gunmetal 19x9's (??) When I called, I was told that the silver 19x9's were being discontinued (??). Actually, I like the Gunmetal better, now that I've seen it in person, so luckily they had those in 19x10. Should get them next week. Still, why would you send 2 different colors? And... if one was being discontinued, wouldn't you hold the order and call the customer to see what they want to do going forward? In reality, probably someone just picked the wron set to go with the order. To be fair, the customer service rep was very responsive on the phone with me, so we'll see how they are going forward. Just saw someone review the G-Max radials in another thread, so I'm glad I chose them. 275/40-19 rear, 255/40-19 front.

Pieces are rolling in a bit at a time. Procharger has been ordered, Solo axle back also. Audio upgrades as well. Drilled slotted rotors already here as well, PS Z23 pads on the way. I'll keep the current braking system for now, but will likely go GT front upgrade in the not too distant future. Will be back when more news is available.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,805 Posts
a friend of my dad's built a pinto back in the early '70's with a turbo 2.3, draw through, carburated... Terrible car, but it was dangerously fast once you got past the lag. I say dangerously, because, well, it was a Pinto.
The Pinto was actually completely average for fuel fires compared to other rear wheel drive compacts at the time. The Pinto consisted of 1.9% of the cars on the road and it also consisted of 1.9% of all fatal accidents accompanied by some fire. It was totally average in the mid 1970s and even faired better than a few other models. In 1991 Rutgers Law Review had an article that examined all the numbers. The real controversy was how Ford and the other manufacturers knew that they could make a safer overall design but to save on costs they just didn't. That became public for the first time and that's what really unfairly demonized the Pinto itself. The car was really no more dangerous than any other car in its class.
Clean used 2017 V6 in Oxford white. 38K miles, well taken care of.
That's a nice looking car. A turbo will make it lots more fun.
Beware of what I recall is a crank dowel shearing issue on this 3.7 engine usually when forced induction is added. It's come up a couple of times on this forum.
I like the garage/pole barn. Is it a large kit that you built or did you have someone build it for you?

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Pinto was actually completely average for fuel fires compared to other rear wheel drive compacts at the time. The Pinto consisted of 1.9% of the cars on the road and it also consisted of 1.9% of all fatal accidents accompanied by some fire. It was totally average in the mid 1970s and even faired better than a few other models. In 1991 Rutgers Law Review had an article that examined all the numbers. The real controversy was how Ford and the other manufacturers knew that they could make a safer overall design but to save on costs they just didn't. That became public for the first time and that's what really unfairly demonized the Pinto itself. The car was really no more dangerous than any other car in its class.
You're right of course, given that the class included such toilets as the Chevy Vega, etc. The problem was less the gas tank issue and much more the fact that the cars were built like tin cans. I actually had a friend that drove her Pinto across country on solo trips like 3-4 times. Toward the end, the engine still ran fine, but every time you shut the door, you could hear the rust particles falling out inside!

That's a nice looking car. A turbo will make it lots more fun.
Beware of what I recall is a crank dowel shearing issue on this 3.7 engine usually when forced induction is added. It's come up a couple of times on this forum.
Good information. I plan on keeping to the stock 8psi Boost on the Procharger. I don't have any desire to change pulley sizes and add more stress. Will a full exhaust with long tube headers show up at some point? Not ruling it out, but that and a CAI are much more about free breathing and efficiency. I'm going to start with the canned tune that ATI sends and tune it afterward to just let everything work well together.

I like the garage/pole barn. Is it a large kit that you built or did you have someone build it for you?
I know my limits! I ordered it, and the crew that showed up put it together in less than 2 days. I had the slab poured as well. The 100 amp sub panel was added last week, but I'll be doing the internal wiring.

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New shoes. Definitely an improvement. Have sway bars and lowering springs on the way, hopefully get them done next week or so.

Attachments

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toys!!! Procharger shipped 2 weeks early, got it and the Solo Axle back on the same day. Patience, my son.... do not drop everything and live in the garage...

Attachments

Reactions: my89foxbody

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,805 Posts
Good information. I plan on keeping to the stock 8psi Boost on the Procharger. I don't have any desire to change pulley sizes and add more stress. Will a full exhaust with long tube headers show up at some point? Not ruling it out, but that and a CAI are much more about free breathing and efficiency. I'm going to start with the canned tune that ATI sends and tune it afterward to just let everything work well together.
I don't remember if the other couple of crankshaft dowel issues I read about were in turbocharged 3.7 cars with higher boost or standard boost but from what I recall it seemed like it was more due to the fact that they simply were turbocharged. The amount of extra power overwhelmed the factory design. I think the one car was driven for a decent amount of miles before the problem happened though.
New shoes. Definitely an improvement. Have sway bars and lowering springs on the way, hopefully get them done next week or so.
The wheels look nice. I like the dark gray and think they're better than silver would have been especially on a white car.

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't remember if the other couple of crankshaft dowel issues I read about were in turbocharged 3.7 cars with higher boost or standard boost but from what I recall it seemed like it was more due to the fact that they simply were turbocharged. The amount of extra power overwhelmed the factory design. I think the one car was driven for a decent amount of miles before the problem happened though.
Definitely something I'll be staying aware of, especially since the procharger is crank driven. One of the reasons I wanted to play with this engine in particular though, was because Ford built it with forced induction in mind. The 3.5 ecoboost in the F150's turned out to be a pretty solid motor. I mean, webbed mains, 6 bolt caps, forged cranks. I think Ford had this idea that they would end up replacing the V8 at some point with boosted V6's, but lets face it, people still wanted a V8 Mustang. When they added the ecoboost 2.3 the V6 became superfluous. Too bad really.

The wheels look nice. I like the dark gray and think they're better than silver would have been especially on a white car.
I agree. TBH, it was a happy accident. Once I saw them in person, I liked them better than the silver. I debated them initially, but was concerned that the reality would be too dark. I'm just not a fan of black wheels. I know they're popular, but in my personal sense of esthetic, they make a car look unfinished, kinda like an old car without hubcaps, lol. Just a matter of personal preference.

So, I have nearly everything that I ordered. Still waiting on the SR lowering springs and Whiteline sway bars. I also ordered a spare set of stock valve covers. Not because I need them, but because there aren't any decent dress-up parts available for under the hood on these engines. I'm going to see what I can do about painting or coating them in a way to add some underhood pop. I'm also kicking around the idea of sending the procharger blower, brackets and intake pipe to get powder coated. There is a local place that does some pretty interesting stuff with powder coating and hydro-coating. Applied Coatings & Gunworks Honestly, not even 100% sure what I'd want yet.

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Progress has been slow. Too many other projects. It is still progress, nonetheless. SR performance Sport lowering springs - around a 1" drop. More than that and the roads here in rural Virginia will wreak havoc on the car. Whiteline adjustable sway bars added at the same time with a 4 wheel alignment. Cross-drilled rotors, Powerstop Z23 pads. Likely I'll eventually go to the 14" GT rotors and stock 4 piston GT calipers at some point. Body roll has been reduced, stopping power is definitely better with the new pads & rotors. The ride is a little bit firmer, more feedback through the steering wheel. The new sway bars make a bit more noise in the rear. I'm guessing its the combination of the Delrin(?) bushings and the alloy lock rings interacting. The stance has definitely improved.

Next weekend it gets a wide center stripe with two accent stripes done in "Gloss Blue Fire" and Sound system upgrades. Oh yeah, and the Ford backup cam recall too. Hopefully I'll get the axle back done this week also.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Nice car!

As far as the Ford Pinto, remember this?:

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed the Solo Exhaust. Will post pictures later. Mixed reviews. Sound is nice, it doesn't drone inside the car at cruising speeds, but sounds pretty good when you get on it. Obviously doesn't sound like a V8, but also doesn't sound like a fart can on a corolla either! 😅 Just a couple of nits to pick. When I ordered it, AM very clearly stated that it fit the V6 S550. That is not technically correct. It is, in fact, a GT based system. I found out very quickly when looking the stock 2.25" pipes compared to the 3" pipes (with 2.5" inlets) on the Solo. This means I had to Frankenstein it, but did find stainless reducers and wide band clamps to keep it in one place. The next nit is that by the time you have everything lined up, because of the big diameter tubes, they run mere millimeters of clearance away from the curve on the inside of the rear subframe/cradle. So far, there hasn't been any buzz from contact at a given harmonic, but I may see if there is a way I can adjust the position just a bit.

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In response to my last post. Local custom exhaust guy said he'd redo my clamp/reducer connection correctly and weld it for me. I'll be much happier then. In other news... view the next post!

Visual transformation day here. I love the look, these guys did exactly what I wanted and did it well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Mustang V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Latest mods had nothing to do with performance. Still waiting on my Cerakoted parts for that. But... my ears needed a treat. First, I downloaded Forscan and plugged in. Saved my as built. Went to the ACM module and removed the factory garbage EQ settings. Next, JBL GX series 6.5 coaxials in the rear deck and 6.5" components in the doors and A pillars. This combined with an Alpine 10" sub tube, an Audiocontrol LC2 and a Kenwood KAC510 Sub amp and the stock head unit suddenly sounds pretty damn good.
Car Automotive design Hood Trunk Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Mustang 3.7
8 Posts
Please let me know how the Pro charged setup is for you, I have helped install 3 P1xs All had horrible belt slip over 6500rpm. We ended up modifying a fitting to timing cover to add a extra pulley. Sounds Scary But its been 4 years and lots of miles without slipping, Instead of a belt a month its 2 a year. Ive been told by the People at procharger that the Newer superchargers have a lot less slip and are more efficient. Who knows and sick ride. I have the Alpine 12 setup I hide my nitrous bottle in it when I race no prep locally to try to hustle people out of Money. I even have my Nitrous solenoid hide in stock air box..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts