Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have a V6 and am totally aware that it doesn't sound like a V8. but i bought an MAC muffler to make it sound beafier than the stock (which i think is pretty soft). i was pretty proud of the sound until some older (gray hair) guy in a chevy pulled up and said, "hey is that a six cylinder?" i replied, "yes". he says, "yeah, it sounds like it." then he drove off before i could say anything back.

now what does that mean? did i just get ripped by a senior citizen, or was he just making a comment? smart ass seniors...

if there's anybody else out there with an aftermarket muffler on their 6, please tell me what you have and think of the sound. are you happy, or have you been getting crap from elitists? i need some encouragement! especially if you have an MAC. i personally love the sound. thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you know the new mustang style at all you would know if its a 6 or not just by looking at it and you could be totally deaf! Bumpers/Tires/Single Exhaust and the list goes on and on. I think he was probably just pulling your chain.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
any aftermarket muffler is better than the stock muffler... (ok...well maybe not a fart canon) With the stock muffler you can't even tell if the car is running! LOL!

I'm guessing the guy is just trying get your goat up.... I've been going to a lot of car shows this summer... some days all I hear is "You should have gotten a GT" or "OH, it's only a V6"

I've the Magnaflow Single Cat-Back... I think it sounds great... I was in a V6 with dual GT take offs... I'll stick with my single Magnaflow! LOL!

You know, even if your V6 sounded like the V8 there will always be the "elitists" that will look down their nose at you because it's "only a V6". At first I let it bother me... but my skin has gotten pretty thick... I know what great car this new V6 is... I know I've enlightened quite a few people at the car shows and I think they might have a new respect for the 4.0L... but there will always be those measure your car strictly by the number of cylinders....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the comments guys! keep 'em coming. i know there's a lot of sixers out there who want to hear more about aftermarket exhaust experiences.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I gots the MAC axelback on my Sixer. I can say that it does have a nice deep tone. It does resonates pretty loud around 2500-3000 rpm tho, so I plan to add some Dynamat in the trunk of the car to deadener some of the sound, but as far as the looks... it LOOKS GREAT.

I get exactly what you guys are saying. Whenever I tell people I have a 05 Stang they always ask me if it is a GT. I say no and they say why didn't you get a GT? All I say is "I DON'T WANT TO" plain and simple. And besides, I drive my car to and from work daily, so it is unpractical for me to get a V8 especially with gas prices nowadays.

Keep it up with the V6!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine has the single Ford Racing (Borla) axleback on it... The difference in sound over a stock exhaust is mind boggling. I've had GT owners compliment me on how the car now sounds. :strut

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got the JBA single for Dixi and it's about exactly what I wanted...loud/deep enough to be heard in a parking garage but not attract attention/hostility out on the road. I dunno about you, but whenever I hear a vehicle making noise like a NASCAR machine my first thought is "Shut The Eff Up!"

I had another, better experience with an oldster yesterday...pulled into a parking lot while on my way to get Dixi her next set of mods because I couldn't find the location of the garage...and without any intro a guy of about 60 asked me how much I wanted for my Stang!

As the MasterCard commercial goes..."Priceless."

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have a GT, but I'll have to say I like the look of the front grill without the Fogs...kinda reminds me of the GT500. Just slap some 17" wheels on there and you have a nice looking car :-D

In my opinion, a mustang is a mustang. Either way your still family:winks

·
Registered
435 Posts
When anybody asks me about not buying the V8, I always say that I wasn't willing to insure a V8. I'm 19!!! not cheap!:walksmile

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just what twoscoops said... you're still driving a Mustang! :drink:

I love the V8... confessed V8 junkie here, but doesn't mean I look down to anyone driving around in a 6! Don't worry about old men or young guys with fart cans, be it a 6 or an 8 we've got infinitely more style than almost anything else out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 6

I have the Magnaflow cat back dual exhaust on my 6 and the difference in sound is amazing as for people who ask me why i didn't get a gt i always say to them where were you when i needed the money to pay the difference and that usually shuts them up. I love my 6 and have spent a lot on appearence mods, which i would have done to the gt as well, i'm not trying to look like a gt at all and when my 6 is on the road i get tons of compliments and stares, although it's getting a little tiresome, never the less, it's nice to hear. The only one that i'm trying to please is ME and that's it so if someone likes my car, fine, if not, oh well !!:smoke:

btw....most who ask about the gt are in rustbuckets themselves so i'll always be one up on them.:kooky:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I Need to leave Work & Put on My JBA

I just got a JBA single for my V6 yesterday and after reading everyone's replies I can't wait to get it on.

It's just not V8 vs V6. I think there are people who just think you should have always gotten something the next level up. I had a 68 Mustang with a 289 for 8 years - "Is it a 390?"

I don't think there is another car or ever will be another car that is as "what you want it to be" as the Mustang.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bushman said:
I have the Magnaflow cat back dual exhaust on my 6 and the difference in sound is amazing as for people who ask me why i didn't get a gt i always say to them where were you when i needed the money to pay the difference and that usually shuts them up. I love my 6 and have spent a lot on appearence mods, which i would have done to the gt as well, i'm not trying to look like a gt at all and when my 6 is on the road i get tons of compliments and stares, although it's getting a little tiresome, never the less, it's nice to hear. The only one that i'm trying to please is ME and that's it so if someone likes my car, fine, if not, oh well !!:smoke:

btw....most who ask about the gt are in rustbuckets themselves so i'll always be one up on them.:kooky:
that sixer is gorgeous! excellent taste. if i could buy another one, i'd buy the redfire and put a black hood on it. love what you did. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It really shocks me how people look down at you for buying a V6. I seriously could not see spending another 10 grand for 80 more horses.

They ought to look up to us and praise us for being smart with our money.:sterb: :sterb: :sterb: :kooky:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dtwwest said:
I just got a JBA single for my V6 yesterday and after reading everyone's replies I can't wait to get it on.

It's just not V8 vs V6. I think there are people who just think you should have always gotten something the next level up. I had a 68 Mustang with a 289 for 8 years - "Is it a 390?"

I don't think there is another car or ever will be another car that is as "what you want it to be" as the Mustang.
make sure you let us know when you get the JBA on. i'm curious what people think of that sound. i almost went with JBA, but opted for the MAC. the MAC may be too loud though. my girlfriend said she heard me coming down a busy street about 1/4 mile away! wow!

·
Registered
465 Posts
blackhawk 9 said:
make sure you let us know when you get the JBA on. i'm curious what people think of that sound. i almost went with JBA, but opted for the MAC. the MAC may be too loud though. my girlfriend said she heard me coming down a busy street about 1/4 mile away! wow!
I think the guy was messing with you. Fact of the mattter is, with the exception of the people in this forum, the average guy/gal doesn't know a V6 from a V8 just by looking at it. All they know is it's a MUSTANG and they wish they had one!!
I've had the JBA on for two months and most think I'm driving a V8. When I say it's a V6, they say "well it sounds like an 8." I listened to all that were available and the JBA had that mellow, throaty sound I wanted. If you want a sound clip of my car, email me @ [email protected].

Attachments

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I've never given a crap about what anyone thought of my car.

If they don't like it, they can buy me something else to drive

-At which point I'll trade it in and get what I want!!!

:sterb:

:laughlitt :kooky:

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds great! the JBA and MAC are kinda close except that the MAC has a four inch tip on it that alters the sound just a little. some of the ill-informed may think it's a fart tip, but no. it sounds nothing like a ricer. thanks for the clip.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
blackhawk 9 said:
sounds great! the JBA and MAC are kinda close except that the MAC has a four inch tip on it that alters the sound just a little. some of the ill-informed may think it's a fart tip, but no. it sounds nothing like a ricer. thanks for the clip.
while I didn't expect the MAC to sound like a Fart Cannon, i just had a hard time picturing a 4 inch tip back there! LOL! I went out to the driveway more than once with the tape measure... I really wanted the 100% stainless but couldn't get past the 4 inch tip... I thought is was just going to be too much! Then I seen the Magnaflow and went that way...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts