Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused and i need some direction. I'm wanting to order the quarter panels for my 67 coupe, i'm putting 68's quater panels since i don't like the louvers. My question is this, which one do i need full or skins? I have to replace the trunk drop offs and the outside wheel well because they are rotted. On the driver side the panel rusted right behind the door so that whole peice will have to be changed. The panel that holds the door striker is in good shape, its just the panel thats gone. So which is better skins or full panels for my situation? And one more thing if i go with full panels where does the top part fit to on the peice coming from the roof to the quarter panel? Thanks sorry for the long post. Lil John

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) If it was my car, I would do the full quarter panels. Where it joins the roof will become obvious once you get into it. It isn't really something that lends itself to a precise measurement. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should the panels be painted with a sealer or undercoating before installing them? Trying to stop them from rusting again.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) No, you don't want to seal them before you put them on the car. There will be some welding and the sealer acts like insulatation. Also, the lead or bondo or whatever you end up using on the joint between the roof and the quarters needs to have metal to bond to. First, build the car, then, paint the car.:)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
A word of caution. In the National Parts Depot catalog there's a notation in the body sheetmetal section that states that the side scoop contours that run down the side of the car are different on a 68 and a 67. The door contours may not match the 68 quarter panels. They look the same, but the dimensions are different. They do offer a quarter panel that does have the 67 contours, but looks like a 68. The NPD catalog is the only place that I've ever seen this noted, they picture the difference. You may want to check on this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you can, I would go full panel. Given the choice between more work or leaving questionable metal on the car...I would always put in the extra work now. Spend the extra 5-6 hours, so you won't have to spend 20-30 hours fixing what you did today 5 years down the road.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.