Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have no emmissions testing here so I have been tossing the idea of slicing off the cat's for awhile now. I have heard that they are fairly restrictive and lossing them will give a bigger power bump than even the nicest header and exhaust combo out there, anyone know what kind of gains could be expected? Anyone hear an 05 GT without the cat's and if so was it to loud (if there is such a thing:naughty )? Lastly anyone know if it would void the warrenty? Thanks in advance for any input:drink: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
yes. then i would do long tube headers and an x-pipe, with some flowmasters in the back. i like the sound of the flowmasters, and the sound will never change due to the design, bc it doesnt use batting.


by the way this will be pretty loud.

later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
05GTSILVER said:
yes. then i would do long tube headers and an x-pipe, with some flowmasters in the back. i like the sound of the flowmasters, and the sound will never change due to the design, bc it doesnt use batting.


by the way this will be pretty loud.

later
I agree with this! But, I would save the cats, just in case your local Politicians change their mind on the emissions, (and for resale later if necessary.)

Good Luck, sounds like you'll have a GOOD sounding Mustang!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
From what I understand, it is a FEDERAL crime to tamper with the emission system on a vehicle. The only exception is if you are turning it into a off-road only (race) vehicle. From what I have read, just because your local area does not have an emissions program, does not mean you can alter the emission system. My $0.02 . :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Tastyone said:
We have no emmissions testing here so I have been tossing the idea of slicing off the cat's for awhile now. I have heard that they are fairly restrictive and lossing them will give a bigger power bump than even the nicest header and exhaust combo out there, anyone know what kind of gains could be expected? Anyone hear an 05 GT without the cat's and if so was it to loud (if there is such a thing:naughty )? Lastly anyone know if it would void the warrenty? Thanks in advance for any input:drink: .
Hi tasty,

If you are after more power removing the stock cats is not worth much HP, maybe 3-4 HP if all you do is replace the catted H pipe with a catless H pipe. A good X-pipe with high flow cats is going to net you more TORQUE and HP under the curve and will be much cleaner than going catless. Hey I like to breathe, don't you?

The best high flow catted X pipes will place the cats in the same location as the stock cats and have O2 bungs in the same locations as the stock catted H pipe. Being positioned in the stock location will allow the high flow cats to fire off faster than cats located under the car AND they will not reduce your ground clearance and make your floor all hot. This location will also give you the least amount of trouble with the ECU and will not make the ECU throw a check engine light error. There may be others out there somplace but at the moment the only catted X-pipe I know of currently with high flow OBDII compliant cats in the stock locations is the Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with high flow cats. Kook's is using Magnaflow's cats on their catted down pipes so you know these are good high flow cats. The Magnaflow catted X-pipe can be worth 6-10HP depending on what you have done upstream and downstream of the X-pipe, BUT it's not a cheap part. A good CAI with a fence that fully blocks the hot engine air from the intake and a tunner (Diablo/XCT), will be worth MUCH more torque and HP than the down pipes.

A good set of long tubes with catless X pipes are worth 20HP+ into stock rear mufflers. But the car will be pretty loud, not as loud as using one of the straight through rear muffs like FRP or Borla but plenty loud enough to be annoying on long trips. The stockers are the quietest muffs that breathe well enough to not lose any real power.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
no emissions testing in Alberta? since when did canada care to ignore clean air restrictions? plus it's illegal to take off a cat, i believe. i don't think adding excessive auto pollution into the air is worth the extra few horsepower. i'm not an environmentalist or anything, but it seems kind of irresponsible to me. just my opinion. i like my air clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Leave the cats. For the little hp gain its not worth commiting a crime, screwing up the enviroment, and selling your problems to the next owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I say remove the cats, fill the tank with 100 octane leaded avgas from your local airport, replace the stock tires and burn them, vent off the 134A refrigerant and replace it with good ol R12, and then light up the best cigar money can buy and puff away :smoke:

Keep the cats and keep the air clean for the rest of us. The gains in HP are not worth the air we breath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
ok, I have drivin a car without the cats on em... there's no testing in Fla either... I can tell you whether or not the HP gain in minimal or not, this was in a 2001 V6 Mustang; and the differance was considerable. Maybe not so much power, but response... After the cats were removed the pedal just responded a lot quicker then it did prior. Do what ya like... If you want to take off the cats, it's not goin to hurt you... by the way if he's in Canada I don't think he cares about a federal offense in the U.S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tech advice people, thats what I was after and I really appreciate it. Yep I am in Canada and there are no federal or provincial laws governing their removal.

I did not ask for an ecology lecture from tree huggers and I do think this is clearly a case of the pot calling the kettle black, if you are so concerned about the environment then why in God's name would you by a V8 ponycar:confused: . You could cut your emmissions and fuel usage way down by getting a pos 4 banger or better yet a little electric car (just be sure to get it back to the Shriners before parade day:strut ). So once you have sold your Stang for a much more eco friendly ride and started using your bicyle whenever possible please do come back and offer me advice on how best to preserve the air, at that point I will heed your advice:yup: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
i just put the magnaflow catted x-pipe on my 05 to go along with the magnaflow catback...i love the rumble...i would suggest you go this way...you will not be disappointed...my 2cents...ninosport has great customer service and prices(they will price match also)...check them out!!! www.ninosport.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
Tastyone said:
Thanks for the tech advice people, thats what I was after and I really appreciate it. Yep I am in Canada and there are no federal or provincial laws governing their removal.

I did not ask for an ecology lecture from tree huggers and I do think this is clearly a case of the pot calling the kettle black, if you are so concerned about the environment then why in God's name would you by a V8 ponycar:confused: . You could cut your emmissions and fuel usage way down by getting a pos 4 banger or better yet a little electric car (just be sure to get it back to the Shriners before parade day:strut ). So once you have sold your Stang for a much more eco friendly ride and started using your bicyle whenever possible please do come back and offer me advice on how best to preserve the air, at that point I will heed your advice:yup: .
:evilchuck Ha! (Gee, sorry I didn't notice your location). I should have expected this type of response by your comment in your signature. I guess you don't give a crap about the environment. I'm no tree hugger, but I DO CARE about what my children and childrens' children will be breathing in the future.
May your engine light illuminate for eternity and your Ford dealer VOID your warranty. :dunce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
definitely not a tree hugger here and there was no ill intentions meant. you asked for opinions and you got them. there's no need to resort to name calling and a defensive position. are you sure you know what a cat does? it rids the air of a HUGE amount of even more poisonous gas from the exhaust, but not all. yeah, we all drive gas guzzlers here in this forum, but i haven't heard anyone even thinking about taking off a cat for a few extra horses. there's a reason they're on your car and i'm just saying that taking it off is irresponsible no matter where you live. canada has nice air. you should keep it that way.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top