Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola all =)

Id like to thank Martial Mustang for helping me with the SES light after putting in my HP CAI.

Now....this only started today...when I accelerate...there is a slight rattle on the passenger side. I THOUGHT I smelled exhaust fumes but I no longer do. I remember my 02 Kia Sportage rattled for years then the tail pipe snapped and hung up by the swivel.

It doesnt happen in park and reev the engine and its more pronounced at higher RPMs.

I was thinking exhaust leak? (and if it is, im going to a dual exhaust)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Hola all =)

Id like to thank Martial Mustang for helping me with the SES light after putting in my HP CAI.

Now....this only started today...when I accelerate...there is a slight rattle on the passenger side. I THOUGHT I smelled exhaust fumes but I no longer do. I remember my 02 Kia Sportage rattled for years then the tail pipe snapped and hung up by the swivel.

It doesnt happen in park and reev the engine and its more pronounced at higher RPMs.

I was thinking exhaust leak? (and if it is, im going to a dual exhaust)
exhaust leaks are common to the right side header just before the flange the a/c drips water onto the hot metal and it can crack and such.. generally when that happens your exhaust will exhibit a ticking noise.. maybe a rattle.. which may or may not go away as the engine heats up.. i think that either way you should go for a dual exhaust lol but anyway.. alot of times your exhaust will get really loud if it cracks the header and itll sound terrible.. by the sounds of it your rattle is probably a result of your recent CAI installation if it never did it before now.. do you still think it has to do with the exhaust?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exhaust leaks are common to the right side header just before the flange the a/c drips water onto the hot metal and it can crack and such.. generally when that happens your exhaust will exhibit a ticking noise.. maybe a rattle.. which may or may not go away as the engine heats up.. i think that either way you should go for a dual exhaust lol but anyway.. alot of times your exhaust will get really loud if it cracks the header and itll sound terrible.. by the sounds of it your rattle is probably a result of your recent CAI installation if it never did it before now.. do you still think it has to do with the exhaust?
I didnt notice it til now, but I did notice while looking for a possible lose do-dad, that the a/c does drip and hit something hot and hiss a bit.

I double checked the CAI and its totally tight.
Im going to pop down to Midas on friday and see what a dual will cost me. Im going to get one anyway so if I need one, no point in sticking on a stock single when im goign to dual in less then 3 months.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I didnt notice it til now, but I did notice while looking for a possible lose do-dad, that the a/c does drip and hit something hot and hiss a bit.

I double checked the CAI and its totally tight.
Im going to pop down to Midas on friday and see what a dual will cost me. Im going to get one anyway so if I need one, no point in sticking on a stock single when im goign to dual in less then 3 months.
Ok, I think part of your problem may be jumping from store to store. Ya gotta stick with one place you trust. That way, they understand you and your car and your goals, and you know who you are working with...

But on to your issue: so you went to Autozone and Pepboys when installing a "make-your-own" CAI? :headscratch: I've never even heard of such a thing... and I fear that may be causing your problems. I would be wary of anything that's "make-your-own" in a box... Having a shop do a custom exhaust or turbo set-up is one thing, but they don't come in boxes... you understand what I'm saying? I would suggest you go with American Muscle's CAI: it's 80 bucks, designed for the Mustang, has good installation instructions, and best of all: works with all your stock parts (MAFs, IATs, etc). :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
But on to your issue: so you went to Autozone and Pepboys when installing a "make-your-own" CAI? :headscratch: I've never even heard of such a thing...
I've seen quite a few "home made" CAI's, actually. They vary in quality. I'm less handy, so it didn't seem sensible for me not to just spending a few extra bucks on a kit from AM.

Though, you should check your CAI, a loose bolt could be a pesky culprit. Or it could be a manifold leak..quite a common uh-oh in the 99-04's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI all

Just an FYI -

I had to remove my CAI. Sadly, unless you want to pay $300 for a CAI, you cannot use the store-bought less expensive ones in a mustang pre-2005 I reckon =/

Once I removed it, rattle went away, though it was tight as a drum.

And yes you can buy build your own CAIs. Theyre normally chrome plated or electro plated galvanized steel or chrome plated ABS. They main pice runs $40-$60, the sensor adapto $13-$15 and filter $20-$30.

Mine ran $85 with a red sensor from Spectre. Looked nice, I noticed some extra pep but it rattled and it didnt sound good on a Mustang so pretty as mine =)

Maybe I'll spring for a BBK ...$311 locally.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
HI all

Just an FYI -

I had to remove my CAI. Sadly, unless you want to pay $300 for a CAI, you cannot use the store-bought less expensive ones in a mustang pre-2005 I reckon =/

Once I removed it, rattle went away, though it was tight as a drum.

And yes you can buy build your own CAIs. Theyre normally chrome plated or electro plated galvanized steel or chrome plated ABS. They main pice runs $40-$60, the sensor adapto $13-$15 and filter $20-$30.

Mine ran $85 with a red sensor from Spectre. Looked nice, I noticed some extra pep but it rattled and it didnt sound good on a Mustang so pretty as mine =)

Maybe I'll spring for a BBK ...$311 locally.
whaaa!? no way dude a BBK should only be $180.. and u can get a much cheaper one from american muscle for $75 free shipping too and you wont have problems with it rattling or whatever

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
713 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy the one from american muscle for $70, and if you like K&N, put a K&N filter on it if that's possible. Has anybody else done that?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
whaaa!? no way dude a BBK should only be $180.. and u can get a much cheaper one from american muscle for $75 free shipping too and you wont have problems with it rattling or whatever
+1 My BBK only cost ~$200 shipped... They are way overcharging if the price tag is $300+!!! :happyhapp And I bought that before I ever joined AFM and heard of American Muscle - otherwise, I too would've gotten the AM CAI. :so Same thing, no name brand label, but save 100 bucks. :bigthumbsup

As far as the K&N filter on a CAI: ny CAI already came with larger, washable, performance cone filter (similar to a K&N)... so unless you could find an even bigger one from K&N, I don't know if that changes much?!? :scratchchin *shrugs* Anybody tried it?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
+1 My BBK only cost ~$200 shipped... They are way overcharging if the price tag is $300+!!! :happyhapp And I bought that before I ever joined AFM and heard of American Muscle - otherwise, I too would've gotten the AM CAI. :so Same thing, no name brand label, but save 100 bucks. :bigthumbsup

As far as the K&N filter on a CAI: ny CAI already came with larger, washable, performance cone filter (similar to a K&N)... so unless you could find an even bigger one from K&N, I don't know if that changes much?!? :scratchchin *shrugs* Anybody tried it?
wow i got mine for 179.99 exactly no shipping or anything i figured it was a good deal.. i got it from summit.. thats also where i got my pypes catback.. summit's pretty cool but i think im hooked on american muscle now lol

·
Registered
713 Posts

I seriously doubt if that filter is of the same quality as a k&n though.:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I seriously doubt if that filter is of the same quality as a k&n though.:headscratch:
It is a high-end filter (washable, cone-shaped, quality materials, rubber flange for easy mounting) made by BBK, so I think it's probably just as good - it looks almost exactly the same... :scratchchin I would think that AM's, BBK's, and K&N's filters are all about the same - we are only talking about a couple of hp here. :so

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
yeah comparing any one filter to the other is probably only comparing like half or less of a horspower

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
True, but with that, I'd be more concerned that it wouldn't filter stuff out quite as well.
Do you work for K&N? :shigrin I'm just messin with ya... but I'm sure they all use similar materials with similar filtration rates. I've had the CAI on since about 75k miles and I'm at 109k now (washed once in between) without any issues, so I'm not worried. :bigthumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.