Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 mustang cobra that is rather slow. It got spanked more than once by a 1995 trans am lt1 with long tubes and shift kit. My mustang has hooker short tubes and offroad x pipe. Any suggestions on how to make it a little quicker? Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
when was the last good tune up?

·
Registered
575 Posts
gears would help a bit

G

·
Welcome to AFM! In stock form you're only at 245 hp but you can beef up many ways. Check out our SVT sections and see what the guys and gals there are using for mods and that will be a good place to start. I don't know what the stock gearing is on a 95 Snake but you might think about something steeper than stock like 3:73s or 4:10s. Of course you can go FI but if you want to stay all motor then you'll just need to get some bolt ons that will "handshake" with each other and give you a solid foundation for hp. Thanks for joining and have fun here!
:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
the number one thing you need is better heads...like Trick Flow or AFR, better yet a Trick Flow top end kit/cam...ahh how times have changed, in 95 that was a "fast" car...now it's paltry with 6 bangers making well over 300hp

·
Registered
288 Posts
gears would help a bit
Gears would help A LOT depending on what you have now... my gt has like 2.73's or something like that. thats where all my torque goes.

i would do the following:
1. find out what gears you have. if you dont have at least 3.73's get em lol.
2. do a complete tune up if you havent recently.
- cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean your mass airflow
sensor, also run a can of seafoam through your tank... twice.

3. you might even consider upgrading your mass airflow sensor to a bigger one like an 80mm. when you do that buy a K&N filter or a cold air intake and also upgrade your throttle body.

4. step 4 is only neccessary if youre still not satisfied.
- upgrade the intake. since you already have the gt40 intake youre gonna have to go pretty high end to get a better one. couple the new intake with a good set of heads from AFR or Edelbrock and LONG headers.... by this time it may be a good idea to upgrade to 30# injectors for all the added air. and when you do that you should upgrade your fuel pump.

tuning the 5.0 ford is a very simple science. or any ford for that matter. they always choke them down to where theyre starving for air. if youll just let it breath youll be astonished at the numbers you can put out. if you follow through all the way to step four youll easily be pushing 350-400rwhp. by that time youll be needing to upgrade your tranny and rear end.

did i leave anything out guys?

·
Registered
371 Posts
the 95 cobra has 3.27 gears... and 240 hp 300 tq... gears would be the first thing on the list. have your lower intake manifold ported and port matched to the heads. even the stock cam is alright as long as you have the 1.7rr's to go with it... you need heads though. afr 165s or the trickflow twisted wedge 170's will be the ticket.

5.0 MM&FF did a built a couple years back.. the cobra put down 220rwhp bone stock, they added a CAI and some trickflow tw 170 heads and i think a flowmaster catback and it put down 270. add some gears with that and you have a decently built lt1 beat down machine. you will need at least some 24lb/hr injector with a matching MAF. headers shorty or longtubes will be you choice. add some suspension and some rubber along with the gears and youre good to go.

G

·
the 95 cobra has 3.27 gears... and 240 hp 300 tq... gears would be the first thing on the list. have your lower intake manifold ported and port matched to the heads. even the stock cam is alright as long as you have the 1.7rr's to go with it... you need heads though. afr 165s or the trickflow twisted wedge 170's will be the ticket.

5.0 MM&FF did a built a couple years back.. the cobra put down 220rwhp bone stock, they added a CAI and some trickflow tw 170 heads and i think a flowmaster catback and it put down 270. add some gears with that and you have a decently built lt1 beat down machine. you will need at least some 24lb/hr injector with a matching MAF. headers shorty or longtubes will be you choice. add some suspension and some rubber along with the gears and youre good to go.

My bad... my hp numbers were off a bit. I wonder where I got that number lol...

Thanks for the correct info!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. Seven replies on my first post? This site rocks. Haha. Thanks for all the help guys.

What are 1.7rr's? And how much would 3.73 gears cost me if I had them put in? I heard they are harder to install with independent suspension.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What are 1.7rr's? And how much would 3.73 gears cost me if I had them put in? I heard they are harder to install with independent suspension.
1.7 roller rockers.. thats the ratio. im thinking your car already has them. i know the 93 cobra did. gears are like $180 but installation would vary depending on who you had install them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
if you think you can out-shift your lt1 buddy you might even go with 4.10's. but you may not like them if youre on the highway a lot

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
right now, gears is where i would start, best bang for your buck. id put 4.10s in it. if your on a budget and cant do the heads, you'd be suprised how little bolt-ons help...... bigger throttlebody, udp's, intake system, tune, maf, smog pump delete, msd ignition/coil and wires......

that little stuff adds up to make good power.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well guys, I have to disagree with most of the posts...remember he's a small block car, not a mod motor car...without decent heads the sprinkles will gain you little...heads, intake and cam, then the rest....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heads are really expensive and I thought the gt40 was good?
theyre goodbut not great. definitely an improvement over the E7's on the gt. theyre a nice upgrade for a gt and when ported, can produce some nice numbers. but if youre going to build a stroker or a street/strip type car they lack much to be desired

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
easy enough, you want to beat a trans am or camaro with an lt1, just spray it with a 100 shot. problem solved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts