Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it happens to most high milage cars, but why is it harder for my car with 98,000 on it to crank when the engine is cold? I'm sure its something that can be slightly tuned or replaced, but i don't know what it is.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
jrspony said:
I guess it happens to most high milage cars, but why is it harder for my car with 98,000 on it to crank when the engine is cold? I'm sure its something that can be slightly tuned or replaced, but i don't know what it is.
Are you keeping up with the maintenance schedule?

It can be anything, injectors, fuel filter, deposits, air filter, MAF needs cleaning, battery low on power - If you stick to the maintenence schedule, you usually won't have probs. If you've not been using the semisynthetic oils, it could be low compression . ..

I've got 104000 miles, and haven't had any problems starting in below zero weather . ..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change the oil every 2500 miles, I have year old plugs, I use fuel injector cleaner every 3 fill ups, and I use Valvoline high mileage oil, plus synthetic blend. I also have a K&N filter which was cleaned a year ago. Jus got my battery recharged a few months ago, along with a new alternator. I don't have anyother highpower electronics sucking juice from the battery when cranking. However, I still have the stock fuel filter in. How often should that filter be replaced? Could that narrow down the problem?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
40,000 miles

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
jrspony said:
I change the oil every 2500 miles, I have year old plugs, I use fuel injector cleaner every 3 fill ups, and I use Valvoline high mileage oil, plus synthetic blend. I also have a K&N filter which was cleaned a year ago. Jus got my battery recharged a few months ago, along with a new alternator. I don't have anyother highpower electronics sucking juice from the battery when cranking. However, I still have the stock fuel filter in. How often should that filter be replaced? Could that narrow down the problem?
recharged or replaced?

If it was ever dead, that shortens the life of the battery, which generally fails at 5-6 years.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
lcurle said:
40,000 miles
yep, that could definitely be a part of the puzzle!

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
jrspony said:
you also need to clean the K&N filter at least every 6000 miles .. .

Did you look at the plug wires?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery was recharged, so maybe it does need to be replaced. I haven't checked the wires lately

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lcurle said:
40,000 miles
Is that how often the fuel filter should be replaced?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
yes, roughly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.