Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 (auto) - I am just wondering... it seems that my car accelerates slower with the pedal all the way down than if I put the peddle about half way. Sometimes the car seems to slow. For example, I was following my friend to his house after school and we had pulled out of the school driveway and we sped off (I had the pedal floored), but I was just keeping up, not catching up to him and he was driving a 1998 GMC Safari Van. I'm just wondering if that is normal or if maybe I have a problem. Also if I give full throttle, I sometimes hear a loud rattling or tinning sound, I have brand new mufflers.

Any input would be helpful,

Thanks a lot!

Danny

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
sounds like a fuel problem

G

·
therutter said:
Also if I give full throttle, I sometimes hear a loud rattling or tinning sound, I have brand new mufflers.
Sounds like you might be pinging, I wouldn't run it too hard till you fix that.
Check all your vacuum lines, particularly the one that runs to the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
when did you get the car? used i assume? check the timing. for to use regular fuel the timing shoudl be at 10 degrees, and 14 degrees if you want to run premium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I do this?

Yes, it is used. I have had it for 2 years and it has only had premium fuel. I'm not sure how to do timing or check or adjust it. As for vacume lines, how would I check them and I'm unsure where they are..? I'm sorry but I am new to this, but eager to try myself. Also could you explain pinging, and what could happen if I run it to hard if it is pinging?

Thanks guys!

Danny

G

·
Go ahead and buy a Haynes manual for your car there's long winded explanations like this for everything in there.

Ok first, "pinging" is premature detonation of the fuel. So instead of being ignited by the spark plug and burning from one end of the cylinder to the other, it just spontaneously combusts. Which if you didn't guess is a bad thing, and that's what sounds like a can full of rocks.

To check your timing you need a timing light (borrow one or buy one they'll run anywhere from 20 - 150 depending on brand). Unplug the spout connector (little grey plug on the right fenderwell, underneath the MAF just kinda hanging out of the wiring harness). This will stop the computer from advancing timing above base. You'll need to loosen the distributor hold down bolt a little bit to be able to rotate the distributor. Now connect your timing light to the battery and put the clip around the #1 plug wire and point it at the harmonic balancer. You'll see the markings on it as the light flashes, if all you run is premium go ahead and set it at 14* which is two marks past 10. Just rotate the distributor until you get the pointer lined up with the proper mark, then tighten it back down. Plug the spout back in and you're done.

As far as vacuum hoses, they're the rubber hoses that run all over your engine compartment. Just make sure none of them are cracked or brittle and if they are replace them. Be sure to check the hose between the throttle body and the fuel pressure regulator, it's about 4 inches long, you'll see it. If you do end up replacing vacuum hoses, go ahead and replace them with fuel line instead, they'll last much longer.

Well I think that's about it, good luck and post your results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good

sounds good, will try out the timing issue and check hoses this weekend. As for pinging, no that doensn't sound good at all, what would cause this and is it possible to fix?

Thanks for helping out,

Danny

G

·
When you advance your timing you're causing the spark plug to fire earlier in the pistons travel up the cylinder. The ignition of fuel while it's still being compressed causes it to detonate. So you shouldn't advance your timing past a certain point unless youre using higher octane gasoline. Using higher octane fuels prevents this because the higher the octane of gasoline, the higher temperature is required to ignite it. Running with a lean mixture (not enough gas for the given amount of air) will also cause this which is why we said to check the hoses. They could be leaking air in that isn't being measured. Been there, done that. Also, if there is a vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator the engine might not be increasing fuel pressure when it needs to in order to maintain the right air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
514 Posts
the rattleing sound might be the cats...id drop the h-pipe and shake it good and listen to it for the noise....i dont remember if you can see all the way to the cats to see if they fell apart inside

G

·
wayne94mustang said:
the rattleing sound might be the cats...id drop the h-pipe and shake it good and listen to it for the noise....i dont remember if you can see all the way to the cats to see if they fell apart inside
I never thought of that, but I couldn't see into mine. If it's pinging you'll definitlely hear it coming from the engine compartment, if it's just a rattle then check out your cats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.