Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very interesting car. According to the vin it was a v6, 3 speed manual. I bought it as a 289 v8 C4 automatic. The only thing I've done so far is change the intake to a 4 brl. I'm in the process of replaceing the drive shaft only to realize that the rear axle and differential are still the v6 original. 7 1/4 differential with a 3.200 gear ratio.

What if any disadvantages will this create now that it is a V8? Also I plan to get more horses out of it as time goes on.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)The old mustangs had an inline 6 instead of the v-6 configuration of today, although a v6 was available in the '64 GMC trucks, for whatever that's worth.Not much probably. :D The problem that you will encounter in the very near future if you drive the car often and moderately hard is that the integral differential used on the 6cyl cars will blow apart on you.You might want to think about shopping around for a nice 8in, or even better, a 9in. rear axle assembly.You'll be needing one.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have a 200ci as well and the diff is making some noise. i bought a 302 that i want to swap in in the future and i would like to upgrade the I6 diff up to a 8inch or 8.8 inch (i think these exist from the mustang II era?) to fix the noise and prepare for the 302. any one know of a good place to purchase rebuilt 8 inch or 8.8 inch? rear ends?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.