Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How dangerous is it to run forced induction with a very small shot of nitrous on a stock 4.0 block, or any block for that matter? I was kicking around the idea of saving up for a zex system when I go turbo this summer. I would only add a small shot like 50 - 75 hp or so, is this going to mess my engine up?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Well PLstang is running a KB with one nos system now and working on a second system as we speek. So if its thought out and tuned right it should be as safe as it can be.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
its possible.....but the tune has to be spot on and after time itll wear out the internals if you dont rebuild now and go forged.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I seem to remember someone telling me the stock bottom end on the 6's were different then the GT's (besides the obvious lack of two cylinders) and that they had better rods.

Can someone confirm or debunk that?

If that's the case it would be possible to do it. However, the issue is tuning as was mentioned. You can't just stick a pill in it as the Zex kit describes. It will have to be dynotuned by someone that has some experience spraying forced induction. The issue is the cooling of the charge air making the F/I more affective there by requiring additional fuel. You spray F/I with a standard set of pills you'll probably go lean and pop the motor!

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I seem to remember someone telling me the stock bottom end on the 6's were different then the GT's (besides the obvious lack of two cylinders) and that they had better rods.

Can someone confirm or debunk that?

If that's the case it would be possible to do it. However, the issue is tuning as was mentioned. You can't just stick a pill in it as the Zex kit describes. It will have to be dynotuned by someone that has some experience spraying forced induction. The issue is the cooling of the charge air making the F/I more affective there by requiring additional fuel. You spray F/I with a standard set of pills you'll probably go lean and pop the motor!
The block is cast iron and they use the crap hyperteuric pistons like the GT. Not sure if the rods are powdered metal.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the block being cast iron is a plus.. but the rest of the motor is crap? Is there any place other than supersix motorsports that does stuff like that for the v6.?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
So the block being cast iron is a plus.. but the rest of the motor is crap? Is there any place other than supersix motorsports that does stuff like that for the v6.?
you may want to ask that in the V6 Tech section

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well it's the rods that are going to give when you hit it with the spray under boost. I was thinking that the V6 had a better set of rods.

You need to get with Shinerstang!! He is the master of all thing V6!:gringreen

He can probably tell you what the internals can take or not. All i can tell you is that it can be done. I do it all the time. On a turbo car it's a little different, watched a guy blow up 3 turbo's in one weekend using nitrous to spool!!:happyhapp So you definitely have to have the right tune on!:gringreen

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Not necessarily... The heads are aluminum. Aluminum and cast iron expand and contract at different rates which can be a problem on high HP applications.
I don't think he'll see enough Hp to really have an issue. I don't.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have been wanting to start looking at parts to build my engine but didn't really know where to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.