Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Gt and it smells as if i have gas pouring out of somewhere. when i start it in the morning it idels fine till the thermostat opens up, then it surges everytime but sometimes stalls out. then comes the gas smell. i cant even check the tire pressure with the car running. even under throttle while driving it smells bad, cant stand it makes me want to sell the damn thing. every time i get out of my car i smell like gas, like i pump gas for a living. i have no idea of what is wrong. i wanted to know if anyone else has had that problem, if so did you fix it and how. thanks :eyebulge:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, and it was a case of leaky injectors. The pre 89 injectors tend to leak and are not corrosion resistant like the later ones. Look at the injectors in the bay, gas will pool up on the lower intake if they are leaking bad. Also check if your car cranks a little bit longer in the mornings it may mean that you are losing fuel pressure in the line and have a large leak. May be anywhere in the fuel system, so youre gonna have to do some searching, but if its that bad, it should be pretty blatant. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i checked that and it seemed to check out fine no leaks and i put my car of my uncles lift and the gas line looks fine so i dont know. just has to be fixed and i dont want to have someone else look at it cause i dont have the money right now......

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
check the charcoal canister, leaks will cause a gaseous smell. Is the gas tank full? If it is overfull, you can get the smell of gas, but usually it will only last for a little while...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a similar problem, it was just an exhaust leak from the headers. Just needed a new gasket and problem was solved. Just run your hand by the headers while the car is running, and you will definitely be able to feel it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Maybe it's the ECT sensor. The symptoms sound a little extreme though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.