Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I listed these 2 questions before, but didnt get much of a response. I would appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks!

"I just have 2 quick questions, and figured I'd get the thoughts of others on the boards.
I recently swapped out my stock midpipes for off road pipes, and it took roughly 6 days for my car to throw the expected "Check Engine" light. Is that normal that it would take that long for it to come on? Should have the delay checked out?
When deciding to go to off road pipes I always factored in the noise I should expect, but never the smell. After putting on the off road pipes my exhaust started smelling raw. Almost like a car from the 60s or 70s. I would assume this is normal with the 6 cats (3 on each side) now missing, but just wanted to mention it on the board and get thoughts."

·
Registered
17 Posts
The delay in the check engine light comming on is because it takes a complete drive cycle for the ecm to figure out that the catalytic converters have been removed, and as for the raw fuel smell when the check engine light came on for the converters the ecm may be going off a preset calibration set up from the factory ( kind of like a fail safe) and the car is just running richer than normal. Also since there are no converters to filter the exhaust gas some of the smell is to be expected. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, its normal for the smell to change, there are no converters in there now, so whatever doesn't burn in the cylinder doesn't burn at al, cats work by burning of the unburnt fuel as it travels through the exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine threw codes a few days after I put the ORH on, even with MIL elimitaors intstalled... then I got my programer in the mail and took care of that. Just turned off the rear o2's...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The cats normally stop some of "smell" from coming out of the exhaust, with a O/R midpipe, you will def smell the difference.

Depending on the amount of hot/cold starts, run time, etc some computers take longer then other to recognize something has been changed etc.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
603 Posts
i took mine off and added a x-pipe and i could smell the exhaust alot better when i run 93 it smells good and clean! when i run 87 it smells old dirty, i know it sounds crazy but thats the truth! try some 93 octane see for yourself!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It took mine several days for the MIL to come on. And yes, you will smell the unburned gas. Totally normal for an O/R midpipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.