Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering when you remove all the pipes for the smog pump and the pump itself what about the vacume lines that go up to the thermactor solinoids? Do you just end up blocking them? :headscratch:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another question in the same area. How do you plug the holes on the firewall side of the E7 heads where the pipe went. Someone said they're suppose to be threaded but I don't see or feel any threads in em' Just a smooth, slightly over 1/2" hole. Can they be tapped for a pipe plug or what? Right now I've got bolts screwed into the part where the pipe came out and just bolted em' back on to plug the area but I'd much rather have a pipe plug in place to make sure there's no leakes or anything.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If I remember correctly, they are threaded. Just built up with carbon. and its a 5/8-11 thread plug. I know my GT40' are threaded. So I assume the E7's are as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just plugged the pipe when I removed mine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i got the thermactor out, now i need to plug the holes. I have a 88 5.0 stick shift, stock cylinder heads, but i'm not sure what size bolt. I have seen a couple different sizes though. I haven't had a chance to try the 5/8 yet, and i think i also saw 9/16 posted somewhere.. anyone know for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
another question... with the thermactor, air bypass and divererter gone... can i also remove the TAD/TAB solenoids? If i remove them, i don't think it would cause driveability issues, but how does that balance with the egr, which i plan to keep for the time being?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
TAB and TAD is seperate from the EGR system. No SMOG pump= no reason to keep the TAB and TAD= No drivability problems.

·
Registered
368 Posts
TAB and TAD is seperate from the EGR system. No SMOG pump= no reason to keep the TAB and TAD= No drivability problems.
i know dumb Q? but what is tab and tad??????????????

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i know dumb Q? but what is tab and tad??????????????

Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB)

Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD)

They control the the air from the smog pump into the exhaust. The TAB bypasses it when not needed (decelleration, etc.) and the diverter lets it go to the exhaust.

Its a little more detailed, but thats basically it. And that wasnt a dumb question. I bet most people on here dont know that, i didnt until i asked somebody a while back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
you can get plugs for the heads from Ford, friend of mine welded the pipes shut and they ended up rusting and creating a mess...

Ford part# F4ZZ6E086A

TrickFlow has plugs for this also think part number is TFS-51400265.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.