Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been keeping my 01 GT garaged this winter and starting it up every so often.

Yesterday (after about a month of sitting) I start it up, starts just fine, idling normal, idles a little higher for a second, then back to normal idle, nothing seems strange until i notice all of the smoke coming out from between the engine and the firewall. it definately had that electric smell to it. I shut it off, the smoke stops, look behind the engine where the smoke was coming from, see nothing black, dont even see any electrical components that would have been smoked. Jack up the car, get underneith and dont see much but the engine and trans, notice the starter but it/the solenoid or wire leads that i can see dont look black. I turn the key forward (not enough to start the car but just before that point where i can listen to the radio and etc) and seconds later, same deal, lots of smoke with electrical smell, but none inside the cabin at all. Before I started the car I was messing around with the radio (with the key forward) for about 5 minutes and had no smoke with the key forward then.

Its quite a bit of smoke and I have no idea where it is coming from. Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Rats

Sorry for your pain, man, and this MIGHT be the source (if not the solution) for your problem.

I had the same thing happen to a car one time, and finally traced it to shorts in the wiring harness (which runs right where you are getting the smoke). I finally dug down and pulled up the harness, and discovered a family of mice had been munching on the harness while the car sat!

Needless to say, much thrashing of electrical tape and tracing down shorts later, I fixed it.

Best of luck! I hope its something easy, but that much smoke would indicate at least one dead short happening somewhere.

ive been keeping my 01 GT garaged this winter and starting it up every so often.

Yesterday (after about a month of sitting) I start it up, starts just fine, idling normal, idles a little higher for a second, then back to normal idle, nothing seems strange until i notice all of the smoke coming out from between the engine and the firewall. it definately had that electric smell to it. I shut it off, the smoke stops, look behind the engine where the smoke was coming from, see nothing black, dont even see any electrical components that would have been smoked. Jack up the car, get underneith and dont see much but the engine and trans, notice the starter but it/the solenoid or wire leads that i can see dont look black. I turn the key forward (not enough to start the car but just before that point where i can listen to the radio and etc) and seconds later, same deal, lots of smoke with electrical smell, but none inside the cabin at all. Before I started the car I was messing around with the radio (with the key forward) for about 5 minutes and had no smoke with the key forward then.

Its quite a bit of smoke and I have no idea where it is coming from. Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the wiring harness that you are talking about?

I finally got some help (someone to be on on/off duty while I looked for the source of the smoke) and a fire extinguisher and turned the key to accessory where it had previously smoked and no smoke. Started the car up, no smoke. Could not get the car to smoke again. All of the fuses were good and it seemed like the only time i could smell any remence of electrical smoke smell was when I was under the car on the drivers side. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Nest

where is the wiring harness that you are talking about?

I finally got some help (someone to be on on/off duty while I looked for the source of the smoke) and a fire extinguisher and turned the key to accessory where it had previously smoked and no smoke. Started the car up, no smoke. Could not get the car to smoke again. All of the fuses were good and it seemed like the only time i could smell any remence of electrical smoke smell was when I was under the car on the drivers side. Any ideas?
The harness runs all around the perimeter of the engine compartment (thick black plastic wrapped or inside corrugated shields). In my case, the problem was behind the intake and throttle body.

Check ALL functions of the car (every light, horn, stereo, etc) and pull the trouble codes from the computer (not everything generates a code, but many things do).

I still suspect you have a short in the ingnition circuit, but it might have temporarily "cured itself" (ie, the spot where the short occurred is no longer contacting a ground - it might have moved just an eighth of an inch).

I'd get back under the car and check the harness from the starter and solenoid back up.

If the smoke had occurred just when the car was running, I would say you had burned off some plastic in contact with the exhaust, but with the second episode where you got smoke from just turning on the switch without starting the car...

Its in the circuit somewhere, probably close to the starter and its harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got a service engine soon light=MIL eliminator passenger side. looked good from the bottom but once i took it down, it is fried

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.