Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 mustang 5.0 gt recently started blowing smoke from the vents. It smells like antifreeze and fogs up my windows instantly. it doesnt start smoking automatically, it only does it after i drive it for a long time, go over 120 or turn the ac/heater on. havent checked anything yet, i work 14+ hour shifts so i want to know what to look for before going in there and just look around. any help would be good...thanks.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Yup, heater core. Happened to my 86.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to agree. Thats been happening to mine lately. I think we have to access it from beinh the glove. Any suggestions? I need to replace mine as well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
my 1990 mustang 5.0 gt recently started blowing smoke from the vents. It smells like antifreeze and fogs up my windows instantly. it doesnt start smoking automatically, it only does it after i drive it for a long time, go over 120 or turn the ac/heater on. havent checked anything yet, i work 14+ hour shifts so i want to know what to look for before going in there and just look around. any help would be good...thanks.
Did it steam up all of your windows or just some? My drivers side has started to get foggy lately when I turn the heater off. I want to believe its just cold air coming in from the outside through the mirror or something but I don't know...

·
Registered
160 Posts
yep, your heater core is pooched. I changed mine when i first bought my car cause it was gone. Its a pain in the ass to do, ripping the entire dash off and all, but it makes for a hell of a weekend project if you got nothing to do. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well its pretty cold here so the hot air coming out from the vents quickly fogs up my front windshield, then goes on to the side windows. if i turn the heater/ac on the smoke will reach the back window and fog that one up too. :headscratch: and thanks for the info guys. ima try and get it done this weekend. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:cheers

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Ive done a few easiest way have a hand outside the car and set the dash in your lap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definitely a heater core, I've done one in my 96 and my 88. It's really not that hard, just a little time consuming. The 88 took me about an hour and a half, it will probably take you a little longer if you don't have experience or still have your a/c hooked up :D When the new one goes in be careful with the neck of the heater core, it's easy to break the joints. I've seen it happen a couple times at the shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.