Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day after some spirited driving, when I parked the car I smelled something burning. When I got out, I noticed smoke coming from the left front wheel well, from above the tire. It kept smoking for about 1 and a half minutes. I later opened the hood and found nothing wrong. I've been driving it regularly since without any problems, but I want to know what this was. Has anyone experienced anything similar or might know what happened?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Probably brakes got too hot.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes, I have. When I checked the oil, some oil dripped off the dip stick & onto the headers. Burned some white smoke & smelled nasty. Only lasted for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is the brake itself, I find it odd that only the one brake was smoking. I've got the Brembo brakes and I don't think that I was really laying into them, but I could be wrong.

Is it possible that stability control was engaging the brakes? The way I was driving, it might be possible it was working overtime.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I bet it's the brakes!!!!

Is there an echo in here?:gringreen

·
Registered
937 Posts
Clutch/Brake fluid spilling over like a volcano and onto your manifold. :yelpleased:

I've seen mystery spill marks on my Master Cylinder but when I check it, the level is good. Hmmmm? :?:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if brake fluid was spilling you would have a small fire under the hood. that thing is plain nasty and it hates hot headers. it could be the brakes and stability control will apply one corner more than the other depending on what the car is doing. I don't know if you know what brakes smell like but its a very distinct smell.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of a sticking caliper yet. I guess I might as as well:

You might have a sticking caliper. Drive the car for a few miles and see if the wheel and hub is real hot.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If advanctrack was on, the computer could have been slamming that brake harder than the other side.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If advanctrack was on, the computer could have been slamming that brake harder than the other side.
I don't believe that's possible. I know programming exists to prevent this from happening for the TCS system:

2011 Owner's Guide said:
If the TCS is activated excessively in a short period of time, the braking
portion of the system may become temporarily disabled to allow the
brakes to cool down. In this situation, the TCS will use only engine
power reduction or transfer to help control the wheels from
over-spinning. When the brakes have cooled down, the system will regain
all features. Anti-lock braking, and ESC are not affected by this condition
and will continue to function during the cool-down period
The system knows if things are getting hot; I do not believe it would allow that to happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts