Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil to mobil-1 w/ a motorcraft filter about 4-5 days ago after 500 miles (new '06 gt) (dont care for the debate about when to change to synthetic), only used 6 quarts, dip stick reading was right in the middle of the two holes....anyways, i ended up letting the car sit for about 2-3 days without starting it, and when i finally did go to start up the car, the exhaust smoked a little(havent paid attention to whether or not this has happened before), it was a white smoke, not black at all and wasnt just due to cold outside temp. i thought it smelled a little odd...deifinitely not the burning oil smell. this all seemed a little wierd, and i dont know if this is normal, or because i let it sit for a few days, dust in the exhaust.....or what....anyone experience this before or have any idea if it's a cause for concern? I'm gonna go for a ride here shortly and see if it does it again...any info would be great. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Mine did that too the other day (I have mobil 1 as well) after sitting for several days. I have also heard some members on other forums indicate this as well, so maybe it is just a common issue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Yea I have the Synthetic Modile 1 and I noticed it smoked as well, I thought my rings might of been worn out already. A nice relief reading this, I will be changing my oil when I get back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Mine did that as well after sitting for several days. Also use Mobil 1. It really concerned me for a while as I also thought of rings and things such as that. I haven't had it happen since but the car's been in use every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Mine did this once as well, 1000 miles after my first oil change using Mobil 1. It has not repeated since. I don't think this is symtomatic to mobil 1 because the car comes from the factory with a synthetic blend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I have the Castrol semi synth and it puffs blue smoke whenever you fire it up after having just been started for a couple of minutes. Like when I pull it out of the garage (no smoke) and point it downhill in the driveway, then fire it up a couple of hours later (blue smoke out left side). I assumed it was a bad valve stem seal or something and was gonna have the dealer check on it. It's done this on occasion since it was new...5000 miles on him now.:smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Are you sure it's smoke and not just steam since it's getting cold out. And don't forget it is exhaust, I don't really smell my exhaust normally, but i would imagine it's not a normal smell anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Are you sure it's smoke and not just steam since it's getting cold out. And don't forget it is exhaust, I don't really smell my exhaust normally, but i would imagine it's not a normal smell anyway.
Blue smoke...At 1st when my wife told me I couldn't believe her...It must have been condensation since I just washed it. Well nope, probably 6 times in 6 months conditions were right and a nice puff of blue smoke out left side, usually after the car is on a slope pointed down hill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
junior said:
Blue smoke...At 1st when my wife told me I couldn't believe her...It must have been condensation since I just washed it. Well nope, probably 6 times in 6 months conditions were right and a nice puff of blue smoke out left side, usually after the car is on a slope pointed down hill.
My car puffs blue smoke on start up also. I have been keeping track of it. I have noticed a trend. Whenever my father moves my car in the driveway to take his car out of the garage (after my car has been sitting for 7 hrs or more over night), a few hrs later when I start it up to go to work it puffs on start up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
mooch said:
My car puffs blue smoke on start up also. I have been keeping track of it. I have noticed a trend. Whenever my father moves my car in the driveway to take his car out of the garage (after my car has been sitting for 7 hrs or more over night), a few hrs later when I start it up to go to work it puffs on start up.
Does it do that ONLY after the car has only been running less than 2 minutes or so before you park it, and then fire it up a couple of hours later? If so, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Also, does it "puff" out one or two pipes?
:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,191 Posts
junior said:
Does it do that ONLY after the car has only been running less than 2 minutes or so before you park it, and then fire it up a couple of hours later? If so, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Also, does it "puff" out one or two pipes?
:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
I think it is puff the magic dragon. :laughlitt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
It did it to me once a couple of months ago. I normally park it inside but I was nose down in my driveway this time and I fired it up and i got a pretty good sized puff of blue smoke.
I've kept my eye on it and it hasn't done it since. I have over 550 1/4mi. passes and it doesn't take a drop of oil between oil changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
junior said:
Does it do that ONLY after the car has only been running less than 2 minutes or so before you park it, and then fire it up a couple of hours later? If so, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Also, does it "puff" out one or two pipes?
:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
Yes that is exactly what I'm getting, my driveway has a very slight incline. If I reverse park the car, it will slightly roll down the driveway. I am thinking that the oil gets trapped near the valve seals. It must take a long time to seep back down to the oil pan, because the oil is not warm as the engine has only been running for less than 2 minutes. That is my guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the replies, now im not so concerned about it, must be normal, or at least as normal as smoke can be....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
I visit many sites and this has been posted on every site. One person claimed that when his dealer called the hot line they are looking into this and others have said it gets worse and that oil is getting pass the seals because some with higher mileage are using oil. Sounds like a TSB coming down the road for you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I was wondering, people's cars that puff blue smoke on start up, has anyone put in 5w30 oil in their V8 engine? If yes, does the puff of smoke still occur? I was thinking that maybe the 5w20 is too thin, which may be the cause of the puff of blue smoke.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top