Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the newer Vette's are quite a bit quicker, but I'm not sure about the last generation. Anyone know what there 0-60 times were? How much HP did the last generation make? Anyway, I was driving behind 2 C5 Vettes, and they were exchanging thumbs up, and the coupe pulled ahead enough to let me squirt through. I pulled along side, tach at the 3500 sweet spot, ready to pounce, and it was on!!!! Surprisingly, I pulled away fairly easily, and kept a good 2 to 3 car lengths ahead, got to about 80(surface street) and slowed to the red light. Vette owner pulls up, smiles and says, "what the hell is in that thing, holy sh*t! I told him just a tune and CAI and he gives the thumbs up, and says "Awesome!" Don't I know it!!!!!:smilie

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sweet man! nice of him to give you thumbs up too. :thumbup

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sweet..great to see they are not off limits so to speak!

Funny I am of a particular age.... (old enough to be over street racing..) so here you go:...and we were coming home from church last Sunday and an older fella sat next to me at a light in a 68 Camaro that sounded real healthy... (loud) I yells out the window "Wanna run em old man!" and we both laugh and smile and laugh some more BUT WE BOTH are getting a hard on for it...... well we both had our wives with us (lectures) and hit several lights and we hit it hard the last three and I was kicking him bad. He had a stick and made a LOT more noise than I did but I dropped mine to low 1 (auto) and hit it after a few feet rollout and it kicked like something else all over him as I ran it through to 3rd. then the next light and then another. kept this up until he turned down a side street to make another "cat" down main.... I was beating him very badly, his shame showed at our last stop together when he said... WOW that thing really moves! I said "yep" and then we talked about how bad it was to get a ticket for drag racing at our age etc. etc. I sure enjoyed that. I am likely going to do it again.. and again... hehehe
Nice to hear the C5 can get a beatin' from us too as there's a few to many in this town... and I am sure this Sunday won't be big enough for the both of us.... hahaha
Gin/Tonic:drink:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The C5 vettes have 350 horse at the crank, (the first year Z06 had 385, then the last one had 405) not sure about the torque. I think they weigh more than a stang, but I'm not sure. Another chev goes down...Good kill!!!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Was he racing?

They have 50 more hp, 40lbs more torque and they're lighter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
And that article you referenced was for the Vette Convertible, which is a bit slower than the coupe, because it's heavier. I'm no chevy fan, but if chevy makes one really great vehicle, the corvette would have to be it. They've proven time and time again that they can do it faster, better, and cheaper.

That being said, I wouldn't own one. You're comparing a sporty coupe, with enough room to do something with and actually fit someone in besides yourself with a two door speed machine, with a 70 cubic inch bigger motor. Of course the Vette would win!

·
Registered
3 Posts
shame that engine has to.....

Crazy001 said:
And that article you referenced was for the Vette Convertible, which is a bit slower than the coupe, because it's heavier. I'm no chevy fan, but if chevy makes one really great vehicle, the corvette would have to be it. They've proven time and time again that they can do it faster, better, and cheaper.

That being said, I wouldn't own one. You're comparing a sporty coupe, with enough room to do something with and actually fit someone in besides yourself with a two door speed machine, with a 70 cubic inch bigger motor. Of course the Vette would win!
The mustang at once was considered a secretaries car. It seems that statement has proven to have some truth to it (with the miniscule hp ratings).
I wonder why Ford cannot build a 400+ hp motor without a Supercharger on it? (hince the 5.4)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well we all know the can, hence the 5.0 "cammer crate" and the 2000 Cobra R 5.4 with 385hp. I just don't think they want to? haha... The new Corvette has an absolute huge motor in it 6.0, right? and it's producing 400hp. The new Z06 that's suppose to fly is suppose to have a 10 cyl engine if im not mistaken, that pulls out around 500hp. Again, these are all getting pulled from memory, but maybe Ford just doesn't want to put these huge engines in cars. I wonder what the 6.0 or the z06 10 cyl gets in mpg compared to a 4.6DOHC SC or the 5.4DOHC SC engines ford makes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
engine

xxkazp3rxx said:
Well we all know the can, hence the 5.0 "cammer crate" and the 2000 Cobra R 5.4 with 385hp. I just don't think they want to? haha... The new Corvette has an absolute huge motor in it 6.0, right? and it's producing 400hp. The new Z06 that's suppose to fly is suppose to have a 10 cyl engine if im not mistaken, that pulls out around 500hp. Again, these are all getting pulled from memory, but maybe Ford just doesn't want to put these huge engines in cars. I wonder what the 6.0 or the z06 10 cyl gets in mpg compared to a 4.6DOHC SC or the 5.4DOHC SC engines ford makes?
The current engine for the Corvette is a 400 small block V8. Those engines do get average gas consumption. The upcoming LS7 V8 with 500hp should be a different story, but the idea is performance right? Quote: "Performance of such magnitude cannot be duplicated on any other car (that means the pony to) that costs less than $80,000"

Fuel economist can opt for a Ford Pinto

·
Registered
626 Posts
hmm dunno why i thought it was a 10, oh well. Well, what i was saying was, maybe thats why ford is sticking to smaller blocks with the forced induction, who knows? From previous engines ford has built we all know it can make the power. Also, remember the z06 is going to be stickering at around 70grand. Hell the C6 does have a msrp of around 45k. That is GM's best car they've ever made, maybe next to the old school GTO; even though I was never a fan of thier look (the corvette). So, that power is very costly. Unfortunatly Ford doesn't really make something out of the box that's in the same class as either vette until the Shelby Cobra comes out which will be faster then the C6 for around the same price. Anyone know if Ford is coming out with something to compete with this new Z06? Or is the Shelby Cobra suppose to take on both versions with its "450+"hp?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I could be wrong here but the new Z06 is not going to be 70 grand, I think itll be mid 60's but Im not sure at the moment.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As a former owner of a C5 I can assure you the vette is the faster of the 2 cars stock for stock...no question.Nice kill no doubt, but it was driver error

·
Registered
626 Posts
THe MSRP is going to be around 65-71k depending on where you read. haha, we'll find out eventually. yes, I agree the C5/C6 Corvettes are faster... but, that's compared to a GT. I didn't think anything but the Cobra was meant to compete with the C5 based on price, which is how they base car classes more times then not. The Cobra on the other hand had been faster then the C5 for the last 2 years. The z06 is just a beast.

It's really fun to watch the car companies compete with these sports cars though... I just hope they scratch the GTO body and make it a real GTO, and the Charger back to two doors and make that fat lady a lil bit lighter.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hmmmm...Stock, you're right, no joy on the C5, but our man in the stang up there has a CAI and a tune, bumping him up a little. If it was a stock auto vette, I think he might hang, especially from a roll. I have a friend with C5, and I plan on seeing just how much faster it is soon.:naughty

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a 99 C5 and it wa very economical on the highway. I had a 6 sp manual that got 33 miles to the gallon on my ttips from Indy to Detroit. In sixth it would run 75mph @ 1600rpm. Plus the hatch held quite a bit of stuff.

That makes me wish the would offer the Stang in a 6 spd, and it could get better gas mileage. Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
ultraclyde said:
Hmmmm...Stock, you're right, no joy on the C5, but our man in the stang up there has a CAI and a tune, bumping him up a little. If it was a stock auto vette, I think he might hang, especially from a roll. I have a friend with C5, and I plan on seeing just how much faster it is soon.:naughty
An auto Vette wont have any problems vs a s stick car. Their auto trannys shift much better than what Ford puts in our cars. From what Ive read they can pretty much keep pace with their stick counter part.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
STONECOLD said:
An auto Vette wont have any problems vs a s stick car. Their auto trannys shift much better than what Ford puts in our cars. From what Ive read they can pretty much keep pace with their stick counter part.
From a roll on though, autos all seem to have a bit of a lag when they downshift, that's what I sensed happened. That's why I got a stick!:green

G

·
apples to apples?

Make no mistake, the C5/ C6 is indeed lighter (300-400 lbs), more HP/ TQ (50-100 HP/ TQ or so) and handles better than a STOCK Mustang GT.
My freind has a 2003 C5 and it rox, he loves to drive in my Pony though, with my mods I can keep up with his STOCK Vette.

However, the 2003/ 2004 Cobra is more the Vettes class. It can hang with the C5/ C6's at a smaller cost.

The 2000 Cobra R is a sweet G machine and is really the ZO6's comp.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/1269401.html?page=1&c=y

The 2007 Shelby will be a beast imo.

What does this mean? It is all a bunch of STOCK bs talk. The real question in a race is;

What are your mods?

I can make a 2005 Mustang GT go 10 seconds with the right $$$. Is this then better than the 'Vette?

Bottom line, the author rolled a n00b in a Vette, I say hats off for the win if he was indeed pushing it. These Pony's are pretty damn quick with a few mods and it levels the playing field real fast. Just be safe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts